Hailed as the most groundbreaking theme park of its time, Epcot marks its 30th anniversary on Oct. 1, 2012, and D23: The Official Disney Fan Club is preparing a unique celebration of one of Disney’s crowning achievements.
On Sunday, Sept. 30, 2012, D23’s Epcot 30th Anniversary Celebration will whisk D23 Members back to a time touted as when “the 21st century begins”—those early Epcot years when guests first marveled at “Astuter Computers,” “Smellitzers,” and the novelty of “riding on sunshine,” and were awed by a massive geodesic sphere called Spaceship Earth.
This journey to yesteryear, the future, and around the world takes place one day only: on Sunday, Sept. 30, 2012, from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. inside Epcot (Park admission is required and not included in the event ticket price). Each D23 Member may bring up to three guests.
“When Epcot opened in 1982 it was a monumental achievement and its opening was an unforgettable moment for Disney fans everywhere,” says Steven Clark, head of D23. “We know our members have a deep passion for this park, and we’re producing a memorable experience that lets our members relive some of their favorite Epcot shows and attractions of the past while experiencing the incredible Epcot legacy that continues today.”
D23’s Epcot 30th Anniversary Celebration will offer the most detailed look at the design, development, and evolution of Epcot ever presented by The Walt Disney Company and will include rare and never-before-seen artwork; film and video footage and photos; along with a number of pioneers of Epcot, including such Disney Imagineers, Legends, and Epcot luminaries as Marty Sklar (exclusive pre-taped presentation), Tony Baxter, Ron Schneider, Charlie Ridgway, Ron Logan, Bill Sullivan, Bob Garner, Jason Surrell, Jason Grandt, Alex Wright, Duncan Dickson, and Steve Taylor.
Tickets will be available for purchase on June 21 at 10 a.m. on D23.com. There are two levels of D23 Member participation:
World Passport general admission is $65 per guest and includes:
- Access to all presentations
- A commemorative gift
- Access to exclusive D23 merchandise
World Key level admission is $185 per guest and includes:
- All features of the World Passport admission
- Reserved seating for all presentations
- A special dessert reception at 8 p.m. inside an exclusive Future World lounge
- Exclusive meet-and-greet opportunity with Disney Legends and Epcot luminaries
- Reception will also include screenings of rare film footage of Epcot’s early days
- Hooray for the 21st Century – Disney Legend and former Walt Disney Imagineering Principal Creative Executive Marty Sklar joins D23 guests via a virtual presentation, where we see and hear what it was like to work with Walt Disney on his original vision for an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. Along the way, learn about Marty’s favorite memories working on the EPCOT Center project with a team of passionate Imagineers.
- The Music of EPCOT Center – Some of Epcot’s most passionate fans agree that the park’s soundtrack has created one of its most lasting legacies that continue to help “makin’ memories” around the world. Join Disney historians and songwriters as we explore the incredible world of Epcot music, celebrating the talents of such Epcot songwriters and composers as Bob Moline, Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman, George Wilkins, Buddy Baker, X. Atencio, Peter Stougaard, Russell Brower, Edo Guidotti and others who have left a permanent musical mark on the park’s creative legacy. Along the way, hear stories about the recording sessions, learn about some fascinating alternate versions of some of your favorite melodies, and sing along to your favorite Epcot tunes!
- “We Can Do It!” – Disney Legends and EPCOT Center creators review the immense challenge that loomed ahead of them when bringing Epcot to reality in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Guests will hear stories of trips to foreign countries to secure participants in the World Showcase concept, what life was like inside the largest private construction project in the world, and how they readied its highly anticipated opening day.
- “We’ve Just Begun to Dream” – Join Disney Legend Ron Logan and other key Disney entertainment veterans as they reminisce about the official EPCOT Center opening festivities that remain among the most elaborate Disney has ever staged. This presentation will include rare footage from the grand openings of various Future World and World Showcase pavilions, which were held throughout October 1982.
- “Makin’ Memories: Epcot on Film” – Join former Disney Imagineer Bob Garner and Disney author and historian Tim O’Day as they cast a “Magic Eye” on the marvelous world of Epcot on film. Bob was closely involved in the creation of film documentation and production at Epcot, including special video elements of Future World and World Showcase pavilions and such promotional films as EPCOT Center: The Opening Celebration.
- “Looking Back at Tomorrow” – Few Epcot visitors, even its most avid fans, realize The Land pavilion was almost called “Harvest Tomorrow” or that Figment was slated to co-host an “Images & Imagination” pavilion with “Professor Marvel.” With recently discovered materials from the Walt Disney Archives, join Disney archivists as they examine how the “dreamers and doers” developed favorite Epcot attractions of the past including Horizons, Journey into Imagination, Kitchen Kabaret, World of Motion, the Astuter Computer Revue, and the original Universe of Energy.
- “The EPCOT Center That Never Was” – Using rare concept artwork, guests will glimpse what it was like to design Epcot with Walt Disney Imagineering Senior Vice President Tony Baxter, designer and producer for several beloved Epcot pavilions, and explore early versions of Epcot attractions that never made it off the drawing board.
- “Imagineering Epcot: An Extra Perceptive Close-up Of Things – Fans of wall-to-wall carpeting and leapfrog fountains unite! Disney Imagineers Jason Surrell, Jason Grandt, and Alex Wright return with a humorous exploration of the details that make Epcot so unique. From miniature gardens to massive buildings (and every international food and beverage offering in between), they’ll show what makes Future World and World Showcase like no place else on earth.
More details about the program and tickets for D23’s EPCOT 30th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION can be found online at www.D23.com.
*Talent is subject to availability. All events are subject to change.
Disney D23, the official community of Disney fans, has released details on its members-only preview of the ‘D23 Presents Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives’ exhibit at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library & Museum in Simi Valley, CA.
The 12,000 square foot exhibit from the Walt Disney Archives is the largest display of Disney props, costumes, artifacts, and artwork ever exhibited. From Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and Mickey Mouse to Captain Jack Sparrow and Captain America, the exhibit features more than 500 artifacts, at least half of which have never before been seen by the public.
Held on June 30, almost a week before the exhibit opens to the public, the special preview begins at 4:30 pm when attendees will have the opportunity to explore Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives — open just for event guests — as well as the rest of the stunning museum. At 6:00 pm the Air Force One Pavilion will open, and you will be able explore the legendary aircraft, which carried seven United States Presidents from 1973-2001. Scrumptious hors d’oeuvres and beverages will be served. There will be a no-host bar with complimentary coffee, lemonade, and water. The exhibit will remain open to explore until 10 pm, and each guest will receive a commemorative pin celebrating the exhibit.
Tickets are $68 per person (members may bring up to 4 guests to the event) and will be available to purchase beginning May 24 at 1 pm PT. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit the event page.
Marvel’s The Avengers is so big, Disney twenty-three magazine needs not one, not two, but three eye-popping collectible covers to do it justice… and that’s what D23: The Official Disney Fan Club has planned for the summer issue, which is available nationwide on May 1.
Coinciding with the worldwide theatrical release of Marvel’s The Avengers, the summer issue of Disney twenty-three features a 10-page story on the creation of the biggest superhero film ever produced. Author and Disney Imagineer Jason Surrell speaks with the film’s acclaimed writer-director Joss Whedon, as well as stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Tom Hiddleston and Clark Gregg and producer Kevin Feige to get the behind-the-scenes details on the explosive film, from the complexities of bringing many of the world’s most famous heroes together to nights out dancing in downtown Albuquerque.
Each of the magazine’s three front and back covers features different characters:
- FRONT: Iron Man and Nick Fury on front. BACK: Hulk and Captain America on back.
- FRONT: Thor and Black Widow on front. BACK: Iron Man and Hawkeye on back.
- FRONT: Captain America on front. BACK: Hulk and Hawkeye on back.
“Marvel’s The Avengers is a groundbreaking film, so we had to do something equally exceptional with our flagship magazine that would thrill both Disney and Marvel fans alike,” says Steven Clark, head of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club. Along with the new issue, D23 Gold Members will receive a special member-only gift: one of seven collectible patches featuring the insignias of each Avenger.
Marvel’s The Avengers is only part of what’s in store in the summer issue of Disney twenty-three, which explores the most exciting new developments throughout Disney — while offering new insight into fan favorites. Among the articles in the summer issue:
- A Brave New World – Readers will travel to Pixar Animation Studios and meet the team bringing to life the mystical world of ancient Scotland in Pixar’s 13th animated feature, Brave.
- A World of Fantasy - Climb aboard the newest ship in the Disney Cruise Line fleet and explore what makes the Disney Fantasy unlike any other vessel to set sail.
- To Annette, With Love - An in-depth interview with Glen Holt, the devoted husband of everyone’s favorite Mouseketeer, Annette Funicello.
- Bon Anniversaire, Disneyland Paris - As Disney’s only European theme park turns 20, Disney twenty-three looks back at its creation and ahead to its magical future.
- The World Will Know and Written in the Stars - Two articles that take closer looks at Disney’s latest, critically acclaimed Broadway productions: Newsies and Peter and the Starcatcher.
- He Wrote the Songs - A touching remembrance of legendary Disney songwriter Robert B. Sherman.
The summer issue of Disney twenty-three also offers an exclusive interview with Newsies film director Kenny Ortega; a celebration of the history of the Disney Store, which first opened its doors 25 years ago; photos from the latest D23 events across the country — and rarely seen photos from The Walt Disney Archives in the magazine’s popular PhotoFiles section.
Disney twenty-three is delivered directly to the doorstep of all D23 Gold Members, along with a special gift. Disney twenty-three magazine is also available at retail locations across the country for $15.95, and can also be purchased online at DisneyStore.com and throughout the Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts.
D23 Presents Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives, which encompasses more than 500 historic artifacts from nearly nine decades of Disney history, opens at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library & Museum on July 6, continuing through April 2013.
Presented by D23: The Official Disney Fan Club and The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Library, ‘D23 Presents Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives’ is the largest exhibition ever curated by the Walt Disney Archives, at 12,000 square feet. From Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and Mickey Mouse to Captain Jack Sparrow and Captain America, the exhibition features more than 500 artifacts, at least half of which have never been seen by the public – including models, props, costumes, set pieces, and artwork from throughout Disney history.
“Ronald Reagan and Walt Disney were longtime friends, two optimists who shared an unwavering belief in the essential goodness of the American way of life,” said Bob Iger, chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company. “We’re proud to partner with the Reagan Library and the National Archives to showcase Disney’s rich entertainment legacy. This extraordinary exhibit will offer visitors an unprecedented look into Disney’s history and celebrate the connection between these two American originals.”
Among the extraordinary items to be featured are:
- The original script, written by Walt Disney, for Mickey Mouse’s film debut in 1928’s Steamboat Willie
- A faithful recreation of Walt’s formal office from the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, Calif., including original furnishings and many of his personal items
- Hand-drawn artwork and hand-sculpted models used in the production of some of the most beloved Disney animated film classics ever created, including Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Bambi and Sleeping Beauty
- Props from classic Disney live-action productions, including Mary Poppins, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Absent-Minded Professor, The Shaggy Dog, Babes in Toyland Bedknobs and Broomsticks and more
- Breathtaking props, costumes, and set pieces from recent Disney classics, including the Pirates of the Caribbean films, Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland, TRON: Legacy, National Treasure and Captain America
- Intricately sculptured busts of all 44 U.S. Presidents that were created for Audio-Animatronics® figures seen in the The Hall of Presidents attraction at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort
- A salute to Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, showcasing theme park artwork, Audio-Animatronics® characters, memorabilia and authentic attraction vehicles
The exhibition also pays tribute to the long personal friendship and professional collaboration between Walt Disney and Ronald Reagan, which began many years before President Reagan’s political career.
On July 17, 1955, Ronald Reagan was one of the co-hosts of ABC Network’s live coverage of the opening of Disneyland, and as governor of California, he frequently visited Disney’s first theme park. After leaving the Oval Office, one of his first public events was a return to Disneyland, where he officiated at the park’s January 1990 35th-anniversary celebration, proclaiming it “one of America’s national treasures.”
“Walt Disney and Ronald Reagan shared a passion for America, a belief in the human spirit, and an innate optimism that, in both men, galvanized the public,” said John Heubusch, executive director of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation. “President Reagan was a great admirer of Walt Disney, and we are tremendously proud to host this wonderful exhibition of Disney treasures, and to honor the bond between Walt and President Reagan.”
For exhibit hours and additional information, visit the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library & Museum online at www.reaganlibrary.com, or www.Disney.com/D23. Admission to the exhibition is included with the purchase of admission to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library & Museum. Through April 2013, when the exhibition is scheduled to end, members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club also save $2 on every adult admission.
“At 12,000 square feet, this is the largest special exhibit the Reagan Library has ever put on,” said Duke Blackwood, director of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. “It is a testament to the relationship between Walt Disney and our nation’s presidents, as well as the story of Disney, itself. The Reagan Library and National Archives are honored to host this extraordinary exhibit.”
The Ronald Reagan Library & Museum is located in Simi Valley, Calif., about 60 minutes north of downtown Los Angeles and approximately two hours north of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim.
DisneyD23 Details Destination D: 2012 – 75 Years of Animated Features with Dick Van Dyke, Alan Menken
D23: The Official Disney Fan Club is celebrating the once-in-a-lifetime diamond anniversary of one of the most universally beloved and singularly unique film genres in the world—at DESTINATION D: 75 YEARS OF DISNEY ANIMATED FEATURES, Aug. 11 and 12 at the Disneyland® Resort.
The two-day event will offer a panorama of some of the most celebrated films and characters ever brought to life on screen and provide attendees with an unforgettable Disney experience.
From Walt Disney’s groundbreaking Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to the upcoming Wreck-It Ralph, guests will go on a “behind-the-magic” journey filled with classic cinematic moments of heart-tugging emotion, laughter, and song that have captivated generations the world over. Renowned historians, authors, and animators of today will host this trip through the artistry and imagination of Disney animated features, each day ending with an unforgettable nighttime concert featuring two incomparable Disney Legends.
Highlights of DESTINATION D: 75 YEARS OF DISNEY ANIMATED FEATURES will include*:
- Salutes to the great Disney animators and artists of the past
- A Saturday-evening concert by the incredible Dick Van Dyke and The Vantastix performing beloved Disney songs and pop standards
- A Sunday-evening concert showcase starring eight-time Oscar®-winning composer/songwriter Alan Menken, who will perform some of his most memorable songs from many modern-day Disney film classics and more
- A glimpse at how Disney animated features have influenced Disney Parks
- Rare and never-before-seen artwork and film footage
- A special salute to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the “fairest of them all”
- An extraordinary reunion of Disney animation voice talent through the years
- More screenings, presentations, and panels to be announced in the coming weeks
The weekend event will take place in the Grand Ballroom of the newly “re-Imagineered” Disneyland® Hotel in Anaheim, Calif. Tickets, available Wednesday, April 18, are $225 each and available exclusively to D23 Members and their guests. A limited number of “Diamond Level” tickets will be available featuring VIP seating, a third day of experiences on Monday, Aug. 13, at the Walt Disney Animation Studios in Burbank, Calif., special gifts, and more.
More details about the program and tickets for D23’s DESTINATION D: 75 YEARS OF DISNEY ANIMATED FEATURES can be found online at www.disney.com/D23.
The largest gathering of Disney fans outside of a Disney Park will return to Anaheim, California next summer as Disney D23 announces it will hold its 2013 Disney D23 convention once more at the Anaheim Convention Center from August 9 through August 11, 2013.
‘The D23 Expo has become a phenomenal way for Disney fans to see everything they love about Disney all in one place –- from Disney’s biggest stars and latest innovations to unforgettable performances live on stage,’ said Steven Clark, head of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, which produces the bi-annual D23 Expo. ‘Our third Expo is sure to create even more magical new experiences and memories for our biggest fans attending from throughout the U.S. and around the globe.’
Among the highlights of D23 Expo 2013 will be: ‘expanded capacities at some of the more popular venues; the 2013 Disney Legends Ceremony, which honors the talented men and women who have made significant contributions to the Disney legacy; Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives, a treasure trove of crown jewels from the Walt Disney Archives; the the Collectors Forum, where Disney fans can buy, sell and trade Disney collectibles, memorabilia and merchandise; and a massive show floor full of special opportunities to see what’s on the horizon for Disney around the world-and where guests may bump into their favorite Disney stars, characters, Imagineers, animators and filmmakers.’
Although many fans groan at the fact that the D23 Expo has remained in Anaheim since its inception, D23 staffers have explained to us that they understand the desire to hold the convention elsewhere and certainly hope to in the future, but that given the size and scope of the Treasures of the Archive exhibit — one of the most popular at the show — it’s already exceptionally costly to transport the items between the Studios in Burbank and Anaheim, making it even more daunting to produce the same quality show elsewhere.
Advance tickets for the D23 Expo 2013 will go on sale at D23Expo.com beginning August 9, 2012. D23 Members receive special pricing on both one- and three-day tickets to the event, which is also open to the general public.
D23 Members receive early admission to the Expo show floor, and D23 will once again give a special thanks to D23 Charter Members, providing them special access to the Expo’s Charter Member Lounge. Members will also have an opportunity to purchase a special Sorcerer Package, which provides a host of special benefits and amenities.
Disney lovers are invited to celebrate with Disney D23, the official fan club of The Walt Disney Company, this summer as it brings its annual anniversary event to Disney fans in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, Boston, Chicago and Walt Disney World (Orlando).
Each event promises to lead guests on a journey through dozens of unforgettable Disney moments that have delighted generations of Disney fans. Each show will be hosted by a Disney archivist and D23 team member and will highlight the rich behind-the-scenes stories of these magical moments through rarely (or never-before) seen film footage, concept art, photography, and exclusive interviews with many of your favorite Disney Legends and luminaries.
Tickets will become available for purchase on March 16 at 1 pm ET/10 am EST initially be available to D23 members and their guests for $18 each. Remaining tickets will be available to the general public for $25 each.
Event locations and dates are as follows:
- Los Angeles – Friday, April 27, 2012 – The Studio Theatre, The Walt Disney Studios
- San Francisco – Saturday, April 28, 2012 – Walt Disney Family Museum
- Boston – Sunday, May 20, 2012 – Museum of Fine Arts
- New York City – Tuesday, May 22, 2012 – Cherry Lane Theater
- Orlando – Saturday, June 23, 2012 – Premiere Theater, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World
(Park admission not included and required)
- Chicago – Sunday, June 24, 2012 – Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago
Additionally, we have been advised that while the live elements of the show will contribute to a unique experience, the content is not expected to change between performances.
For more information and to purchase tickets as they become available, visit the event page.
As D23: The Official Disney Fan Club gets ready to celebrate its third anniversary in the midst of its most exciting year ever, D23 Members and Disney fans are invited to get in on the fun with a special, 23-day Twitter sweepstakes that combines the fun of Disney fandom, history and trivia with the thrill of a scavenger hunt.
Beginning Friday, February 17, Disney D23′s “23 Days of Celebration” invites all Disney fans to help mark the third anniversary of the first and only official Disney fan club. Each day at approximately 10 a.m. Pacific time, D23 will provide a different challenge for the day – and the first person to submit a valid photo that matches the challenge will win a special D23 prize.
For instance, D23 Members and Disney fans may need to raid their photo albums for a picture of themselves in front of a certain Disney Parks attraction, or might be asked to take a digital snapshot with a D23 pin, or wearing a specific item of Disney apparel. Each day will offer a new challenge – and each day will present a new opportunity to win! Fans will submit photos via Twitter by “@ replying” @DisneyD23, including the hashtag #D23Sweeps.
Prizes will include exclusive D23 pins and patches, D23 collectible merchandise, and, on March 10 – D23’s third anniversary – a special prize package.
The task and the prize will change on a daily basis, so be sure to follow “@DisneyD23” on Twitter to keep up with every challenge – and every winner – in D23’s “23 Days of Celebration” anniversary sweepstakes! (Full rules are available at D23’s website, http://www.disney.com/D23.)
Beginning February 1, 2012 through March 31, 2012, current passholders at either the Walt Disney World or Disneyland Resorts are eligible for a special 20% discount off of new ‘Disney D23′ Gold level memberships, representing a savings of nearly $15.
The Gold membership level includes the quarterly ‘Disney twenty three’ magazine which is generally accompanied by a special gift exclusive to Gold level members.
Passholders who currently do not have a ‘Disney D23′ membership and would like to take advantage of this offer should purchase the ‘Disney D23′ Gold Membership on DisneyStore.com and use coupon code D23AP12 at checkout.
D23 devotes its entire Spring issue of Disney twenty-three magazine to the remarkable legacy and influence of Disney animated films. From Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to the animated classics of tomorrow, the official Disney fan club takes readers on a fantastic journey from the drawing board to the silver screen.
Available nationwide February 14, this special issue of Disney twenty-three magazine is an extraordinary treasure trove of fascinating stories, insights and details of Disney animation’s heritage. From pre-production to music composition, every facet of making classic Disney animated features is explored–including the transcriptions from Walt’s story meetings with his animation team as they developed such classics as Fantasia, Pinocchio and Cinderella.
Plus, especially for Gold-level members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, this all-new issue also features an inventive, breathtaking cover that incorporates a removable replica animation cel from Snow White.
“It’s often been said that animation is the heart and soul of Disney, so we knew we needed to do something truly spectacular with our magazine in this milestone year,” said Steven Clark, head of D23. “Whether you’re interested in the first Golden Age of Disney animation or you’re looking forward to the next beloved classic, there’s something in this issue for every Disney fan.”
Fittingly, the magazine’s first story examines the legacy of Walt Disney himself and the vision he set forth even before Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs hit the screen. FiIm historian and Academy-Award® winner John Canemaker looks at how Disney animated films have continuously raised the bar for three quarters of a century, since audiences were first enchanted by the “fairest of them all.” Also included in the Spring issue are:
The Six Older Men: A revealing look at the rarely seen talented artists and illustrators who helped train Disney’s legendary “Nine Old Men”
Ralph’s Wrecking Crew: An early glimpse at the process of producing Wreck-It Ralph, the next feature film from Walt Disney Animation Studios
Ballyhoo and Buzz: A colorful look at some of Disney’s off-the-wall stunts for marketing new movies before the advent of broadcast and digital media
Striking the Right Chords: An exploration of the memorable music written for animated features, with insight from film historian Leonard Maltin
Still Soaring: A touching interview with talented artist Tyrus Wong, now 101 years old, who helped create the extraordinary look of Bambi
A Work of Art: An introduction to Disney’s Animation Research Library, home to 65 million individual pieces of original animation art.
There’s even more to discover–including spectacular photography and artwork–in the Spring issue of Disney twenty-three, which will be delivered directly to all Gold-level D23 Members beginning in early February with the limited-edition Snow White reproduction cel as their collectible gift.
Disney twenty-three magazine is available at retail locations across the country for $15.95, and can also be purchased online at DisneyStore.com and throughout the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World® Resorts. Gold-level members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club are treated to each issue delivered directly to their mailbox, accompanied by a special collectible gift.