ESPN RISE and ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World Resort, the nation’s leading multi-sport venue for amateur and professional sports, announced today that they have grown the ESPN RISE Games’ elite and competitive event offering and expect to host more than 13,000 student athletes during its 2010 event at the sports complex in suburban Orlando, Fla. Target has returned as the title sponsor for the second year of the ESPN RISE Games. The ESPN RISE Games Presented by Target will take place over a two week period, July 14-27. Events will air on both ESPNU and ESPN3.com.
The ESPN RISE Games Presented by Target, a two-week long elite and competitive level student athlete focused event, will be anchored by four elite high school sports events. New for the 2010 event is the Champion High School Showcase, a US Lacrosse boys and girls event. Returning for the second year are the AAU 17-under Boys Basketball Super Showcase presented by Champion®, the Under Armour High School Softball All-America game and the elite 7 on 7 high school football event Champion® Gridiron Kings.
The ESPN RISE Games has also increased its competitive channel youth sports; it has added boys and girls lacrosse: US Lacrosse U15 National Championship, softball: USSSA Fast Pitch World Series (U16 and U18) and football: the Florida Premier 7s, an invite only, 7-on-7 event to feature 64 Florida high school teams – the inaugural event will include Dr. Phillips, Miramar, Manatee and DeLand high schools. Returning to the schedule from the 2009 event are baseball: USSSA Global Baseball World Series, basketball: AAU Super Showcases (14U 15U and 16U) and AAU 14U National Championship, field hockey: Disney Summer 7s & 11s National Championships a USA Field Hockey event (U12, U14, U16 and U19) and track & field: AAU National Club Championships (13-18). The ESPN RISE Games Presented by Target has grown from hosting 4,000 student athletes to more than 13,000 expected student athletes for the 2010 event.
ESPN RISE GAMES ELITE EVENT DETAILS:
- Champion® High School Showcase a US Lacrosse Event is the “National All-Star Game” of high school lacrosse featuring the top high school players from across the country. The event is set-up in a final four format, with two semifinal games, a third place game and a championship game. All of the teams are guaranteed practice and scrimmage time. Girls: July 17-19 Boys: July 20-22
- Under Armour High School Softball All-American game will feature 30 of the top high school players in the nation divided into two squads. Players are selected by a committee of high school softball experts from ESPN RISE. July 19-20
- AAU 17-under Boys Basketball Super Showcase presented by Champion® is part of the AAU National Championships held at the ESPN sports complex and features marquee 17-under club teams from across the country. The event includes two days of pool play and a single-elimination tournament. The tournament is a breeding ground for future NBA stars including Amare Stoudemire, Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade, as well as collegiate phenoms such as Tyler Hansbrough and JJ Redick. July 24-27
- Champion® Gridiron Kings is an elite high school football event that features 64 of the best players in the game’s seven skill positions – quarterback, running back, tight end, wide receiver, linebacker, cornerback and safety. The event includes performance training, position specific training, skills challenges and a 7-on-7 competition. July 24-25
- Under Armour High School Softball All-American, Champion Gridiron Kings, AAU 17-under Boys Basketball Super Showcase presented by Champion® and Champion® High School Senior Showcase a US Lacrosse Event (boys event) events will be presented on ESPNU live and as pre-recorded shows; ESPN3.com will air live competitive events.
ESPN RISE GAMES COMPETITIVE EVENT DETAILS
AAU Basketball Showcase Series (14U-15U-16U)
The AAU basketball showcase involves as many as 360 teams competing in various age groups, including U14, U15 and U16. The event takes place along with the AAU Super Showcase elite event.
US Lacrosse U15 National Championship
This US Lacrosse Youth Council event is open to any boys and girls teams, and also features some national U-15 boys and girls lacrosse competition. The tournament involves 64 total teams representing the best in the country competing in pool play and bracket play for the title of US Lacrosse U-15 National Champion.
USSSA Fast-Pitch World Series (U16-U18)
More than 110 of the top U-16 and U- 18 teams in the nation will qualify for this year’s USSSA Fastpitch World Series. Teams will play a minimum of five games and will be seeded based on current USSSA ranking points and play a round robin. All teams will be seeded into a double elimination championship bracket following pool play.
USSSA Global Baseball World Series
The USSSA Global Baseball World Series is expected to draw 24 teams in various age groups. Teams must qualify for entry through a local qualifying event. Teams compete in pool play, bracket play and then three age division finals to claim the crowns as World Series Champions.
Disney 7’s & 11’s Field Hockey
The Disney Summer 7s & 11s National Championship, a USA Field Hockey event, features four days of competition, plus a USA Field Hockey High Performance Coaches clinic, to help players and teams elevate their skill levels.
AAU National Club Championships – Track & Field
The AAU Club Championship will attract the top track & field athletes, ages 13-18, and involve more than 3,200 track & field athletes. This five-day event serves as the final qualifying event for the AAU National Junior Olympics.
Florida Premier 7s
The Florida Premier 7s is an “invitation-only” high school 7-on-7 competition featuring the top Class 2A – 6A high school football programs in Florida. This 7-on-7 football event involves 64 teams, including several premier Florida football programs, such as Dr Phillips High School (Orlando), Miramar High School (Miramar), Manatee High School (Bradenton) and DeLand High School (DeLand).
At the ESPN RISE Games Presented by Target, Target will feature the Fall 2010 collection of C9 by Champion performance wear geared toward student athletes. C9 by Champion is available exclusively at Target. For more information about C9 by Champion visit Target.com/C9. Additional sponsors for the event include new sponsor EAS, the event’s official pre/post recovery/nutrition partner.
ESPN RISE Games Presented by Target will include an opening ceremony on ESPN Wide World of Sports on Saturday, July 17.