A Look at More Treasures from the Walt Disney Family Museum

Thanks to your appreciation of our previous article on the Walt Disney Family Museum which featured some of the items that will be on display in Gallery One,  titled Walt Disney’s Early Years (1901 – 1923), we are pleased to present you with some of the items that can be found in Gallery Two.

GALLERY TWO: THE HOLLYWOOD YEARS (1923 – 1928)

An illustration of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit who originally belonged to Universal Studios but was acquired by the Walt Disney Company in recent years

An illustration of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit who originally belonged to Universal Studios but was acquired by the Walt Disney Company in recent years

Walt arrived in California in 1923 hoping to find work as a director. But when he received a contract for his own work, he launched Disney Bros. Studio with his brother Roy. By the end of 1924, Walt was focusing on story development and directing and was no longer working as an animator. After several business setbacks, Disney created Mickey Mouse, which established Disney Bros. Studio as the leading animation studio in the country. With the third Mickey Mouse film, Steamboat Willie, Walt joined the vanguard of the talking-picture revolution by creating an animated film with synchronized sound. Both Walt and Roy Disney married during this period, Walt to Lillian Bounds, a studio inker.

Marriage license and certificate of marriage for Walter E. Disney and Lillian BoundsOriginal artwork, including the earliest known drawings of Mickey Mouse, will illustrate Disney’s sensational success with his character. Other exhibit highlights include business correspondence between Walt and Roy, the move to the new Hyperion Studios, where Disney created four of its great animation features, and Walt’s meeting with and marriage to Lillian Bounds.

Also on display will be the famous telegram that Walt sent to Roy shortly before boarding the fateful train ride from New York after being given the news that he would be returning to California with nothing. It reads:

Telegram from Walt Disney to his brother Roy O.LEAVING TONITE STOPPING OVER KC ARRIVE HOME SUNDAY MORNING
SEVEN THIRTY DON’T WORRY EVERYTHING OK WILL GIVE DETAILS
WHEN ARRIVE
WALT.

The Walt Disney Family Museum, L.L.C. is owned and operated by the Walt Disney Family Foundation, a non-profit foundation. The Museum is partially funded by California Infrastructure and Economic Development Bank revenue  bonds.

Thanks again to the Walt Disney Family Museum for supplying the images displayed in this article. All images are copyright their respective owners and are published here courtesy of the Walt Disney Family Foundation.

As always, we recommend following @WDFMuseum on Twitter and becoming a Fan on Facebook to keep up to date with the Museum happenings. And of course, stay tuned here as we continue to bring coverage of the Museum’s launch. We’ll have images of more items to post soon.

Enjoyed this post? Share it!

 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


five − = 0