It’s been a few weeks since our first round-up of Disney D23 Expo updates featuring little tidbits you should know that haven’t earned themselves a dedicated mention, however if you follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook, you’re likely to have come across our mentions of them as they have come. That said, there’s plenty here we haven’t mentioned elsewhere including the release of the official D23 Expo App, so, on with the show!
The app is mostly surprise-free at this point, but we did manage to pick up a few hints and tips and other pieces of information while scouring through it, including:
- A semi-interactive map of the D23 Expo show floor as well as Collector’s Forum
- ABC will apparently bring its ‘Once Upon A Time’ Jolly Roger setup that it had at San Diego Comic-Con. They also promise Once giveaways at the booth.
- Duncan Toys is listed as an exhibitor
- The D23 Fan Art contest (Mary Poppins) winner is Patricia Sheppard who crafted a Mary Poppins-shaped teapot
- The Walt Disney Imagineering store, Mickey’s of Glendale, located in the Disney Parks pavilion, will feature merchandise based on Carousel of Progress
- The Disney Stock Certificate Program, debuting later in 2013, will be exhibiting concept art for the program, allowing attendees to vote on which art will be included in ‘the series.’
- The schedule appears to be independently maintained and is not completely in sync with the official D23 Expo site, so do use caution. For example, newly announced panels such as ‘The Lost Chord’ are not included, while the Mickey Mouse shorts panel (which has been removed from the website as we previously noted) is still mentioned. We are seeking clarification.
- Additionally, Disney Cartography is not included in the Collector’s Forum (more on that below).
On the merchandise front, we have a couple of D23 Expo exclusives to share. To be honest, news of either of these is not particularly recent, but they are news to us and better late than never.
- Pictured above in this article is the Cinderella’s Castle ornament from Hallmark. This is similar to one already available in stores (retails for $24.95), but the paint job is exclusive to D23 Expo. It lights up with faux-fireworks while playing ‘When You Wish Upon A Star.’ Video and audio demos are available online via its official product page.
- Take5ADay.com, a go to site for Disney/Pixar Cars collectibles has gotten their hands on images of a ‘Convoy Brothers’ die-cast set which they believe to be a D23 Expo exclusive from Mattel (via its collectors’ arm, Matty Collector).
- The ‘Disney Afternoon’ panel at San Diego Comic-Con gave a sneak peek at this litho (photo via @lurkyloo) by artist James Silvani which will be released at D23 Expo. Details of the release aren’t known at this time, but it’s likely it will be released through Acme Archives which represents Silvani. Additionally, Silvani will be in the collectors’ forum alongside Amy Mebberson and Allen Gladfelter. On that note, Silvani has sounded the warning alarm that he will soon no longer be accepting commissions for D23 Expo.
- Disney Channel PR tweeted that it will be bringing stars from its newest program, ‘Liv & Maddie,’ but no schedule information as of yet.
- We have been advised by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment that the stars of its upcoming film, Super Buddies, will be around the Expo at some point for a photo-op.
- The D23 ‘Things to Know’ page has been updated to include parking pricing for the Anaheim Convention Center. Parking will be $12 per entry or $24 for vehicles over 24′ in length. Many Disneyland passholders have noted they will be using the Toy Story parking lot for free as a passholder perk. It’s also worth remembering if you are visiting the area and bringing a car that many (if not most/all) the area hotels charge their own parking fees.
- Whether or not you’re playing Disney’s Alternate Reality Game, The Optimist, a reminder that Wallace of Disney Cartography will have a booth in the Collectors’ Forum (though he’s not mentioned in the official app). This is good to know because game aside, he’s been teasing releases of his art at the D23 Expo. Samples (which allude to game play) are online at disneycartography.com.
- Honda is bringing its humanoid robot ASIMO to the Expo with hourly presentations. In addition, fans of the official ASIMO Facebook page can receive a limited edition coin featuring ASIMO and the logo for Disneyland’s Innoventions, where he regularly appears.
- Dlandlive.com has begun compiling a list of various meet-ups occurring during the D23 Expo and surrounding dates, most of which appear to be happening at Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar, unsurprisingly. Those arranging for gatherings are encouraged to submit their information as well.
- The Disneyland Resort has issued a major update of upcoming refurbishments. The good news is that outside of Big Thunder Mountain’s extended closure, none of them affect dates immediately surrounding the D23 Expo (and yes, price-reduced convention tickets will be available for purchase at the Expo’s Disney Desk on the show floor).
- For Sorcerer level attendees, we have confirmation that reserved seating will be available for Stage 28 in addition to Stage 23 and the Arena.
- If you are planning your days at the D23 Expo already, be sure to routinely check the D23 Expo schedule (as well as follow us on Twitter and Facebook) as several presentations have been moved around after their announcement.
- Now’s an especially good time to familiarize yourself with StagePass. We have been advised that attending media will receive an additional barcoded ticket to use with it as they will not have reserved seating outside of the Arena.