Sneak Peek: ‘Dancing with the Stars’ New Set to Feature ‘Largest Mirror Ball in North America’
Although you will have to wait until the season 13 premiere of ‘Dancing with the Stars’ on Monday, September 19, to see it, ABC has released this featurette with production designer James Yarnell as he discusses the brand new set coming to the popular reality celebrity dance competition.
Among the enhancements to the set, which has been built completely from scratch as opposed to other seasons: the dance floor is raised above the audience and judges and will provide a full 360 degree view; the set size has expanded to exploit the studio space, including the use of three balcony tiers; the celebrities and professionals will make their grand entrance through the center of the stage as opposed to the staircases on the sides; and it will feature what may be ‘the largest mirror ball in North America.’
Celebrities scheduled to compete and their professional partners are as follows:
* METTA WORLD PEACE, nee Ron Artest, NBA champion, partners with last season’s Troupe member PETA MURGATROYD, who makes her “Dancing with the Stars” debut as a professional partner this season.
* DAVID ARQUETTE, actor and producer, joins two-time champion KYM JOHNSON, who returns for her 10th season.
* CHAZ BONO, author and activist, teams up with LACEY SCHWIMMER, who is back for her 5th season.
* ELISABETTA CANALIS, model and actress, partners with VAL CHMERKOVSKIY, who makes his “Dancing with the Stars” debut as a professional partner this season.
* KRISTEN CAVALLARI, TV star, teams with two-time champ MARK BALLAS, who returns for his 9th season.
* NANCY GRACE, TV host and journalist, joins last season’s Troupe member TRISTAN MCMANUS, who makes his “Dancing with the Stars” debut as a professional partner this season.
* ROBERT KARDASHIAN, reality star, partners with two-time champ CHERYL BURKE, who is back for her 12th season.
* CARSON KRESSLEY, television star and style guru, partners with ANNA TREBUNSKAYA, who returns for her 8th season.
* RICKI LAKE, talk show host and actress, joins three-time champ DEREK HOUGH, who returns for his 8th season.
* J.R. MARTINEZ, veteran and actor, teams with KARINA SMIRNOFF, who returns for her 9th season.
* CHYNNA PHILLIPS, singer, joins TONY DOVOLANI, who is back for his 12th season.
* HOPE SOLO, World Cup star, teams with MAKSIM CHMERKOVSKIY, who returns for his 11th season.
All 12 couples will dance for the first time on live national television on Monday, September 19 at 8:00 pm ET with couples either performing the Viennese Waltz or the Cha Cha. The couple with the lowest combined judges’ scores and public votes for their performance will be sent home the following night, Tuesday, September 20 at 9:00 pm ET, on the season premiere of “Dancing with the Stars the Results.”
Hosted by Tom Bergeron (“America’s Funniest Home Videos”) and Brooke Burke (“Dancing with the Stars” Season Seven Champion), the celebrities perform choreographed dance routines which will be judged by renowned Ballroom judge Len Goodman and dancer/choreographers Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba.