Disney ‘D23 Magazine’ Summer 2011 Issue Sneak Peek; On Newsstands May 3
The summer issue of Disney twenty-three magazine hits stands May 3, filled with features that will take readers from the depths of the sea to the edges of outer space. In the swashbuckling cover story on Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, director Rob Marshall and actors Geoffrey Rush, Ian McShane and Richard Griffiths take D23: The Official Disney Fan Club into the action-packed world of the highly anticipated film.
The piece gives readers the inside scoop on Captain Jack Sparrow’s latest adventure with an eight-page spread of gorgeous images from the film and fascinating nuggets from the set. Readers will discover what select cast and crew have to say about Johnny Depp returning to his iconic role; learn what inspired the screenwriting team behind the earlier Pirates films as they reunited to lace together legends of the fearsome Blackbeard, the Fountain of Youth and sirens of the sea; and uncover why director Rob Marshall says of the 106 days of shooting: “You’re undergoing your own adventure as you’re filming one.”
Disney twenty-three’s summer issue also includes an exclusive interview with George Lucas, the force behind Star Wars and Indiana Jones, discussing his participation in the various park attractions inspired by his films. Readers can expect to be immersed in the creative process as Disney twenty-three reveals multiple concepts for rides that were never made. More specifically, readers will be privy to the unique brainstorm that brewed the new Star Tours ride and learn about a distinctive new twist in the experience.
In “What a MARVELous World!,” Stan Lee talks about his excitement to be working with Disney Imagineers. “It’s great for Marvel to have access to Disney’s brains, because they’re pretty smart, and it’s great for Disney to have all these characters, with their built-in audience. It’s one of the wisest things that either company could have done.” Readers will also find a comprehensive look at Stan’s history that might well serve as a Marvel 101 class. The article’s glimpse into future plans for this historic team-up shows why Disney, Marvel and fans alike are looking forward to super hero-sized results.
Just in time for summer road trips, John Lasseter introduces readers to Cars 2, in which Lightning McQueen, Mater, and a whole fleet of new characters race across the country on an international adventure. In true Pixar fashion, Cars 2 will zoom to the big screen alongside the brand new animated short Hawaiian Vacation featuring characters from the Toy Story films. This issue also celebrates Walt Disney’s own motor mania with a look back at some of Walt’s personal cars as well as a few favorites that have played special roles in Disney history.
There’s much more in the summer issue of Disney twenty-three , including:
- THAT WILLY NILLY SILLY NEW BEAR: Voice actor extraordinaire Jim Cummings is a natural when it comes to voicing Winnie the Pooh. He’s been doing it ever since he was a kid and is adding to his resume with the upcoming Winnie the Pooh movie.
- JUSTICE FOR ALL: Disney Legend Bill Justice, who passed away in February, left a big imprint at Disney working on projects ranging from Bambi and Mary Poppins to the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland.
- ARIEL’S TRIUMPHANT RETURN: Legendary Disney animators Glen Keane, Mark Henn and Andreas Deja see their characters come to life in 3D at The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, coming soon to Disney California Adventure.
- PASSING THE TIKI TORCH: From the Enchanted Tiki Room to the blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean films, the work of two laid-back Southern California craftsmen is carved into Disney lore.
- A WALK WITH WALT 1940: WISHING UPON A STAR: The first year of the new decade saw creative and celebrated breakthroughs, including the release of Fantasia. But there were storm clouds on the horizon.
- D SOCIETY: Disney President and CEO Bob Iger takes to the skies to photograph the Disney Dream, John Stamos and the Massey brothers get onboard, and Super Bowl champ Aaron Rodgers visits Walt Disney World.
- PHOTOfiles: Disney twenty-three ‘s 10th installment of rare pictures from the Disney Photo Library shows Walt embracing Audio-Animatronics ® at the Enchanted Tiki Room , Sean Connery “bonding” with Autopia, and Daryl Hannah making a big splash!
- GOOD MOUSEKEEPING: Now in each issue of Disney twenty-three , this new column features classic Disney comics originally published in the 1930s and early 1940s in Good Housekeeping magazine. This month’s featured cartoon is from July 1937 and portrays the trio that sailed off in a wooden shoe: Wynken, Blynken and Nod.
And there’s even more for Disney fans to explore. As with every issue of Disney twenty-three , Members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club receive an added bonus. This issue comes with one of two scented Cars 2 air fresheners featuring either racing star Lightning McQueen or his devoted best pal Mater. These limited-edition gifts will be sent only to members. To become a D23 Member, and learn more about membership and the spring issue of Disney twenty-three, visit www.disney.com/D23.
Beginning May 3, Disney twenty-three is available at select retail locations for $15.95.