ESPNNewYork.com Sets Launch Date for April 2
ESPN is in a New York state of mind with ESPNNewYork.com, the latest edition of ESPN’s network of local sites and newest destination for New York sports news and information. The site features exclusive, original content from local contributors, locally relevant content created from ESPN’s multiple platforms and branded programming.
“We are committed to offering a truly local experience with these sites, and thus with the launch of ESPNNewYork.com, we are dedicated to finding contributors and authentic voices that have a passion for all things New York, an expertise on the hometown teams and a real, meaningful connection with fans in the NY area,” said Jim Pastor, senior vice president and general manager, ESPN Local. “Our mission is to serve sports fans, and in just one year, we’ve managed to establish a deeper relationship on a local level with fans in Chicago, Boston, Dallas and Los Angeles. They are each among the top local sports destinations for fans in their respective markets, and we have high hopes for New York as we build our presence from the solid foundation we’ve established through the success and reach of our owned and operated station, ESPN Radio 1050 AM.”
The site launches under the day-to-day editorial leadership of new executive editor Leon Carter, a news veteran with over 24 years of experience with the NY sports media world, most recently as sports editor for the New York Daily News and previously with Newsday. He is an award-winning editor who has covered the NY area sports scene since 1984.
In 2009, Carter was honored with the Legacy Award from the National Association of Black Journalists for his efforts promoting diversity in the newsroom and guiding the careers of more than 250 minority journalists over the past 16 years. He co-founded and continues to instruct at the Sports Journalism Institute, an intensive nine-week training and internship program for aspiring minority journalists held every summer since 1993.
“New York is one of the world’s greatest sports cities, home to one of most passionate fan bases and some of the most storied franchises in sports,” said Rob King, vice president and editor-in-chief, ESPN.com. “Leon is a veteran of the NY media world who truly understands the NY area sports landscape. His leadership will drive the editorial direction of ESPNNewYork.com and build a sports site for true NY sports fans.”
The site is continuing the process of hiring reporters and writers to bring their voices and daily coverage of area teams and sports to fans via words, video and audio content. Additionally, ESPNNewYork.com will feature contributions from veteran ESPN reporters and writers connected closely to New York, who will provide original content on New York sports topics.
Original Content, Features & Tools
ESPNNewYork.com will also be the exclusive home of ESPNNewYork SportsCenter, hosted by SC anchors and produced originally each day by ESPN. The video series will provide fans a 3-6 minute roundup of the city and region’s sports news, teams, highlights, figures and stories each day.
The site will cover all of the NY area major professional sports teams, collegiate sports programs and, in time, extend to regional high school coverage, a core passion for Tri-State Area sports fans.
Features at launch include:
- Fan engagement tools that are endemic to the local NY media world, including:
- New York Yankees Greatest Team of All Time – an application that allows fans to compile what they believe is the Yankee “dream team” by position;
- The Headline Machine – a user-generated tool that allows fans to create their own “back page” photos and headlines;
- A custom New York video hub, offering a library for the latest highlights, news, analysis and original content from ESPN programs including exclusive, original New York content from the teams at ESPN programs including Baseball Tonight, NFL Live, College Football Live and more;
- An integrated video and audio experience, featuring a dynamic 16×9 video player on the front page and index pages, and one-click access to the ESPN Radio SuperStream audio player with live 1050 ESPN audio and access to ESPN’s catalog of podcasts and on-demand audio;
- Community and social media tools such as Fan Profiles, SportsNation chats and polls, ESPN Conversation pages, local Twitter feeds, ESPN Fantasy and Arcade games, Stadium Guides and ESPN Passport, ESPN.com’s digital fan scrapbook;
- Real-time scores, GameCasts and video highlights;
- Clubhouse pages from all Tri-State area professional and college leagues;
- Photo galleries featuring images from New York area events;
- An ESPNNewYork.com mobile Web extension that will launch as http://espn.mobi/ny, bringing the news, features, scoreboards, and more to fans on their mobile devices;
- The same innovative local and national advertising opportunities that ESPN.com offers.
The launch of ESPNNewYork.com coincides with the ESPN2 telecast between the 2009 World Series Champions New York Yankees against their biggest rival, the Boston Red Sox, at Fenway Park on Sunday, April 4. Both ESPNBoston.com and ESPNNewYork.com will be on site covering all the action at the ballpark. Sports fans from the two rival towns will also be able to participate in Cover It Live conversations on both local sites.
At launch, ESPNNewYork.com includes multiple charter advertisers, including StubHub, Anheuser-Busch and Audi.