‘John Carter,’ ‘Avengers’ Super Bowl Ads to Offer Bonus Content via Shazam
Shazam today announced that its ‘Shazam for TV’ experience will be used to enhance the entire Super Bowl experience this Sunday, from the game itself, to the halftime show with Madonna, to the commercials. According to Shazam, nearly half of the advertisers during the game will incorporate Shazam’s ‘second screen’ technology to allow viewers to interact socially, unlock bonus content, enter sweepstakes and more.
Among those participating in the ‘Shazam for TV’ experience will be Walt Disney Studios and Marvel Studios for both John Carter (March 9) and Marvel’s The Avengers (May 4) as confirmed to us by Disney, although Disney stopped short of offering any clues as to what the blockbusters’ content will be. Walt Disney Studios recently teased that it will be offering viewers the opportunity to enter for a chance to win a trip to next year’s Super Bowl in conjunction with its John Carter ad.
Both ads are slated to appear during the first quarter of the game.
Other participating advertisers include:
- Toyota – the ad will include a sweepstake to win two Camrys – one for you and one for a friend.
- Best Buy – Best Buy’s spot will feature two of Shazam’s founders. Additionally, Best Buy is running a $50 gift card offer for consumers looking to buy and activate a mobile phone in 2012 when they tag the ad.
- Cars.com – when viewers use Shazam to tag the ad, Cars.com will donate $1.00 to one of seven charities, up to a maximum $100,000.
- Pepsi – the new ad that features the winner of the X-FACTOR – Melanie Amaro performing Otis Redding’s song “Respect” – will invite people to unlock a free video.
- Teleflora – viewers who tag Teleflora’s “Give” ad starring super model Adriana Lima will receive a secret offer.
- General Electric
- Relativity’s Act of Valor
The Shazam app is free and is available on most smartphone and mobile devices including Apple iOS devices (via App Store) and Android devices (via Market). Users who already have the app are strongly advised to check for any updates just prior to the game to ensure the optimal experience.