Disney Publishing Worldwide (DPW) kicks off New York Comic-Con 2012 with several exciting author/illustrator panels, in-booth signings, and exclusive giveaways at the DPW booth, #1132.
From Rick Riordan’s Heroes of Olympus to Disney “It’s a Small World,” there is something for everyone. Giveaways include:
- Marvel preview booklet
- Heroes of Olympus water bottles
- Rick Riordan’s The Red Pyramid: The Graphic Novel posters
- Disney “it’s a small world” tote bags
Passion, Power, and Paranormals! (Friday, October 12 @ 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm, Room 1A14)
Authors Keri Arthur, Maureen Johnson, Tahereh Mafi, Tonya Hurley, Margaret Stohl, Dan Krokos (False Memory), Alexandra Bracken (The Darkest Minds) and Kalayna Price discuss the inclusion of romantic elements in their action-packed novels. If dating the undead wasn’t tricky enough, these protagonists must also battle the forces of evil while trying to keep their sanity and the world safe from destruction. Moderator Jocelyn Davies will have the authors divulging the steamy details behind creating their characters and their tricky love affairs.
Hocus Pocus: Magic & Monsters in Science-Fiction and Fantasy (Saturday, October 13 @ 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm, Room 1A08)
Science-Fiction and Fantasy authors discuss the costs and consequences of ‘magic’ in their novels. Moderator Beth Revis will have authors Andrea Cremer, Jacqueline Carey, Jocelynn Drake, Kim Harrison, Max Gladstone, Cecil Castellucci, Victoria Schwab (The Archived) and Richard Kadrey dishing about the the scary, hairy, and dangerous creatures that lurk in the worlds they have created.
The World of Graphic Novels (Saturday, October 13 @ 7:45 pm – 8:45 pm, Room 1A06)
Restaurants, outer space, fantastical worlds, high school — graphic novels today will take readers to all these places and more! How do graphic novelists combine words and pictures to create the worlds within their books? Authors Fred Chao, Zack Giallongo, Ben Hatke, Tyler Crook, and Orpheus Collar (The Red Pyramid: Graphic Novel) discuss how world-building works in the world of comics.
Action-Packed Comics to Grown On (Sunday, October 14 @ 10:45 am -11:45 am, Room 1A08)
Want to raise a comic book aficionado? Start here! With characters ranging from a neurotic rabbit to a crime-fighting lunch lady and formats from graphic novels to pop-ups, authors Patrick McDonnell (Mutts comic strip), Philip Amara (So You Want to Be a Comic Book Artist), Ben Hatke (Legends of Zita the Spacegirl), Zach Giallongo (Broxo) and Orpheus Collar (The Red Pyramid: The Graphic Novel) are masters at penning favorites for the youngest age group. Look forward to a discussion about presenting the comic book genre to the littlest readers in an accessible and often downright hilarious way guaranteed to have them reading AND creating works of their own.
Kids/YA Publisher Spotlight (Sunday, October 14 @ 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm, Room 1A07)
Come hear the advance buzz about what’s coming up from Disney Publishing Worldwide, First Second, Macmillan Kids, HarperCollins, Little, Brown, Random House, Penguin Young Readers, Scholastic, Simon & Schuster and Tor! Editors and marketing staff come together to recommend their favorite upcoming books by exciting new authors and illustrators — accompanied with giveaways, trivia and — most of all — FUN!
Friday, October 12th:
- Dan Krokos (False Sight advance copies) and Alexandra Bracken (The Darkest Minds advance copies) @ Disney Publishing Worldwide, Booth 1132 (11:00 am – 12:00 pm)
- Post-Panel signing: ‘Passion, Power and Paranormals!’ @ Autographing Area, Tables 2, 3, and 4 (3:15 pm – 4:15 pm)
Saturday, October 13:
- Victoria Schwab (The Archived advance copies) 11:00 am – 12:00 pm @ Disney Publishing Worldwide, Booth 1132 (11:00 am – 12:00 pm)
- Post-Panel signing: ‘Hocus Pocus: Magic & Monsters in Science-Fiction and Fantasy’ @ Autographing Area, Tables 2, 3, and 4 (2:45 pm – 3:45 pm)
Sunday, October 14:
- Post-panel signing: ‘Action-Packed Comics to Grown On’ @ Autographing Area, Tables 2, 3, and 4 (12:00 pm – 1:00 pm)
- Orpheus Collar (The Red Pyramid: Graphic Novel) @ Disney Publishing Worldwide, Booth 1132 (1:00 pm – 2:00 pm)