Radio Disney, which Billboard magazine ranked twice among the Top 25 on its Maximum Exposure list of ways to get music noticed, will kick off its third season of “N.B.T.” (Next Big Thing), beginning WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 15. “N.B.T.,” a daily multiplatform feature that launched the career of Hollywood Records recording artists Allstar Weekend, puts the spotlight on young recording artists and provides them with national broadcast and online exposure. Over the course of 10 weeks, Radio Disney and Disney Channel audiences will be invited to look, listen and vote for their favorite artist at RadioDisney.com or by texting* “NBT” to DISNEY (347639) — message & data rates may apply, kids under 18 must get parent’s permission first. The highest ranked “N.B.T.” artist will have the opportunity to have their single released by Disney Music Group and open for Allstar Weekend at a special holiday performance.
Michael Riley, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Radio Disney, said, “‘N.B.T.’ exemplifies Radio Disney’s multiplatform programming strategy, which extends the listening experience and adds engagement opportunities for kids and families.”
The showcase includes interviews and in-studio performances with a new “N.B.T.” artist every two weeks. During each showcase period on Radio Disney, each artist will have their single on the playlist, and join on-air personalities Ernie D and Jake Whetter in studio. Simultaneously, Disney Channel will present a preview of each artist and a sampling of their musical talent in interstitials hosted by Jake. Each artist will also have two full songs, exclusive videos, photos and bios on RadioDisney.com. Videos will also be featured on Disney.com, the N.B.T. mobile website (http://radiodisney.mobi/nbt), and Radio Disney’s YouTube Channel.
“The continued success and ever-growing popularity of Allstar Weekend demonstrates the caliber of talent that ‘N.B.T.’ attracts,” said Kelly Edwards, Executive Director of Music and Programming, Radio Disney. She added, “This year’s artists represent Radio Disney’s broad playlist with more musical diversity than ever before.”
The artists, age 12-17, include:
- AMBER LILY (September 15-September 28) — A 13-year-old pop and R&B singer and songwriter from San Francisco, California who currently resides in Los Angeles, California
- KICKING DAISIES (September 29-October 12) — A four-member rock band–Duran Visek (guitar, vocals, age 15), Carly Kalafus (bass, age 14), Ben Spremulli (guitar, age 14), and Caitlin Kalafus (drums, age 17) — from Milford, Connecticut
- SACHA EDWARDS (October 13-October 26) — A 14-year-old pop and rock singer and songwriter from Los Angeles, California
- MATTHEW JOHNSON (October 27-November 9) — A 13-year-old pop singer and songwriter from Dallas, Texas
- COCO JONES (November 10-November 23) — A 12-year-old pop singer and rapper from Columbia, South Carolina who currently resides in Nashville, Tennessee
Throughout the 10-week period, fans will have a chance to vote for the “N.B.T.” featured artist each day followed by a week of open voting starting Wednesday, November 24. The “N.B.T.” winner will be announced on-air by Ernie D on Friday, December 3.