Sneak Peek: ‘Ultimate Spider-Man’ on Disney XD (Stills, Video)
As part of a new Marvel-themed programming block debuting on April 1, Disney XD will be premiering a new series titled ‘Ultimate Spider-Man.’ In the storyline, a teenage Peter Parker (voiced by actor Drake Bell) juggles the relatable challenges of high school with the extraordinary challenges of being a Super Hero. Nick Fury (voiced by actor Chi McBride) invites Parker to train with his S.H.I.E.L.D. organization, where Peter’s alter-ego, Spider-Man, will join forces with four other teenage Super Heroes – Nova, White Tiger, Power Man and Iron Fist, on the greatest action and adventure ever as they work to become Ultimate Super Heroes.
Behind the series is an amazing team made up of Marvel’s Chief Creative Officer, Joe Quesada, and Marvel’s Head of Television, Jeph Loeb, Supervising Producers/Writers Man of Action (Joe Kelly, Joe Casey, Steven T. Seagle & Duncan Rouleau), Creative Consultant/Writer Paul Dini (‘Batman: The Animated Series,’ ‘Lost’) and Consulting Producer/Writer Brian Michael Bendis (Marvel’s Ultimate Comics Spider-Man comic series).
Comics legend and Spider-Man co-creator Stan Lee said, ‘It’s a thrill to see that the highest standards in story telling are so perfectly exemplified by Spider-Man leaping from the pages of the comic book onto the screen to be enjoyed by a new generation.’ Lee also makes guest appearances on the series as Stan the Janitor.
The premiere episode (11:00 a.m., EST/PST) is entitled ‘Great Power,’ and the second episode is ‘Great Responsibility’ (11:30 a.m., EST/PST). The premiere episodes will be available on DisneyXD.com and Comcast platforms via VOD and XfinityTV.com directly following the Sunday, April 1 premiere on Disney XD. On April 2, they will be available on Disney XD Mobile VOD available via AT&T, MetroPCS, MobiTV, Sprint and Verizon; along with iTunes, Xbox Live and Sony Playstation.
Disney XD has provided us with some stills from the first episode as well as a clip in which the remaining members of the Frightful Four (Klaw, Thundra and the Wizard) track down Spider-Man’s location at his alter-ego’s school and look to confront him.
Also debuting as part of the Marvel programming block on April 1will be the second season of ‘Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes’ and all-new animated and live action short-form series such as:
- ‘Fury Files’ — Top-secret access to S.H.I.E.L.D. video dossiers on key Marvel heroes, including Iron Fist, Power Man, Nova and White Tiger and the villains they face, are animated with mix of traditional animation and motion comic art.
- ‘Marvel Mash-Up’ — The Marvel Universe is turned upside down with these hilarious and unexpected takes on iconic Marvel heroes and villains, featuring classic animation edited with a comedic twist.
- ‘Animated Reality’ — Stunt and special effects experts showcase the epic moves of favorite Marvel Super Heroes including Captain America and Spider-Man.
- ‘What Would It Take?’ — Get a glimpse into the science and modern technology required to create the heroes’ gadgets, abilities and tech in real life, ranging from Iron Man’s jet propulsion boots to Iron Fist’s power-packed punch.
- ‘Master Class’ — Marvel’s Chief Creative Officer, Joe Quesada, explains the artistic vision behind Marvel’s greatest Super Heroes and shows how artists bring them to life.
Photos and video courtesy of and © Disney XD
UPDATE #1: 3/7/12 – MINOR SPOILER: I have noted some interest regarding the image above featuring Spidey between Iron Man and Captain America. To date, Disney XD has only let me see the second episode (the images and clip above are from the first) so I can explain that given the series focuses on Spider-Man joining S.H.I.E.L.D., the Avengers do exist as a super hero team that Spider-Man is aware of and looks up to. Whether he actually meets them is unknown to me, as the image above is probably just demonstrating a thought in his mind, which is why he’s so small compared to the other two.