On March 28, 2012, Disney Store will celebrate its 25th anniversary. For a quarter of a century — since the day it first opened its doors at the Glendale Galleria in Glendale, California — Disney Store has been helping to bring the magic of Disney to neighborhoods around the world. In honor of the momentous occasion, Disney Store has been rolling out special merchandise to celebrate the anniversary and we are pleased they have offered to provide one lucky Stitch Kingdom reader with a gift pack of just some of the items featuring the commemorative artwork by Jim Valeri.
By entering via the widget below, one lucky winner will receive a Disney Store 25th Anniversary Gift Pack consisting of: a 16″ Mickey Mouse Plush Toy ($16.50), a Mickey & Minnie Mouse Photo Frame ($24.50), a World of Disney Journal ($10.50), a World of Disney Ballpoint Pen ($4.50) and a World of Disney Reusable Tote ($3.50). All of these items plus many more are available now at Disney Store and DisneyStore.com. Remember, you can enter daily via Twitter and each entry counts!
Before all that, however, let’s take a moment to relive the past twenty five years of Disney Store, highlighting just a few of its remarkable milestones:
- March 28, 1987 — Disney Store unveils its first store at the Glendale Galleria in Glendale, CA
- June 11, 1988 — Bridgewater, NJ becomes home to the first Disney Store outside California
- May 1990 — Disney Store hosts its first video pre-sale. Guests who pre-ordered The Little Mermaid received a film lithograph and a bubble watch
- November 1, 1990 — The first Disney Store in Europe opens in London, England
- August 21, 1992 — The first Disney Store Japan opens in Yokohama
- September 10, 1994 — Disney Store hosts its first VoluntEARS project to benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation in Phoenix, AZ
- November 4, 1994 — Disney Store opens its first Walt Disney Gallery Store concept location in Santa Ana, California. The Walt Disney Gallery Store catered to the Disney collector, selling everything from classic Disney film artifacts, artwork, character figurines, collectible spoons, mugs and more.
- October 15, 1995 — Disney Store opens its doors at the Walt Disney Studios exclusively for Disney Cast Members and Studio guests
- May 22, 1996 — Disney Store opens on Fifth Avenue in New York City (the location would later become a World of Disney store operated by Disney Parks and Resorts before shutting its doors)
- September 16, 1997 — Disney Store opens an ESPN concept store at Glendale Galleria, in Glendale, California, catering to the ESPN sports fan.
- June, 2000 — Disney Store introduces a t-shirt featuring three Disney Princesses together, marking the creation of the Disney multi-Princess franchise.
- May 1, 2008 — Disney Store introduces a new vision statement aimed at providing ‘the best 30 minutes of a child’s day.’
- April, 2009 — DisneyShopping.com relaunches as DisneyStore.com and — for the first time — begins making theme park merchandise available online officially.
- October, 2009 — Jim Fielding, President of Disney Store, is appointed International Chairperson for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
- April 29, 2010 — Disney Store forms a corporate partnership with the Make-A-Wish Foundation and participates in the first annual World Wish Day.
- June 22, 2010 — Disney Store debuts its first ‘Imagination Park’ concept store in Montebello, California.
- June, 2010 — Disney Store launches its official blog, The Buzz.
- July, 2010 — Disney Store opens its first new design store in Europe in Madrid, Spain.
- November 4, 2010 — Disney Store returns to New York City in the heart of Times Square, featuring a large digital billboard towering six stories above the streets.
- January 30, 2011 — Disney Store debuts its first exclusive Vinylmation collection, Villains.
- June 2, 2011 — Disney Store launches its first signature fragrance, Imagination.
- October 26, 2011 — Disney Store redesigns its store on the Walt Disney Studio lot, modeled after the original Kem Weber Studio Store design from 1940.
- March 28, 2012 — Disney Store will celebrate its 25th Anniversary. The first 250 guests to arrive at each location will receive a pair of free Mickey Ears. Games, trivia and dancing events will take place at various times throughout the day.
For more information about Disney Store’s past 25 years, be sure to visit its official blog, The Buzz, which is posting articles daily that celebrate its vibrant history.