Being delivered soon to Gold Members, the spring 2014 issue of Disney twenty-three pays homage to the 1964–65 World’s Fair in New York — a time of optimism, growth, and progress. The Fair, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, marked the creation of landmark Disney technology, music, and attractions including it’s a small world, Audio-Animatronics® technology, ‘Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln,’ and ‘Progressland’ /aka/ the ‘Carousel of Progress,’ with its iconic anthem, ‘There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow.’ For the issue, Disney twenty-three sat down with several Disney Legends responsible for these iconic landmarks including Marty Sklar, Alice Davis, and Bob Gurr. Stunning concept art and rarely seen photography from the World’s Fair complement the stories in this issue, available exclusively to Gold Members of D23.
Disney twenty-three’s spring issue also includes a look ahead at some of the latest entertainment coming from Disney: Ty Burrell, Tina Fey, Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy give readers a peek ‘behind the felt’ at Muppets Most Wanted, which opens in theaters on March 21; and Chris Evans talks about suiting up once again for the April 4 release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Plus, Jonathan Freeman discusses taking his characterization of the villainous Jafar from screen to stage, as Disney Theatrical prepares to open ‘Aladdin’ on Broadway this March.
Also included in the spring issue of Disney twenty-three:
- We celebrate D23’s fifth anniversary with a look at some of the club’s most memorable events
- ‘Ask Dave’ with Disney Legend and Chief Archivist Emeritus Dave Smith returns to print in the U.S. for the first time in nearly a decade
- Disney trendsetters are all the rage in ‘The Hippest Place on Earth’
- Regular columns including ‘A Walk with Walt,’ ‘PHOTOfiles,’ ‘D Society’ and more
All D23 Members are encouraged to visit www.D23.com for additional members-only content, including extended Q&As with Kermit, Fey, Burrell and the irrepressible Miss Piggy from Muppets Most Wanted. Basic membership is free.
Other features coming to D23.com include:
- A closer look at the artwork from ‘it’s a small world”s Tower of the Four Winds at the New York World’s Fair
- Details on which parts of the World’s Fair attractions made their way to Disneyland
- A drive though the Ford Magic Skyway with an extensive photo gallery
Also in the spring issue, D23 Gold Members will receive a reproduction of the ‘Souvenir Map and Small World Guide’ from the centerfold of the commemorative ‘it’s a small world’ guide book.