BURBANK, Calif., Aug. 3 — What will Disney’s theme parks and resorts look like in the future? Fans will learn the answer to that question and many more as they take a “behind-the-magic” tour of their favorite Disney destinations at the inaugural D23 EXPO, where the entire world of Disney will come together under one roof at the Anaheim Convention Center in California from Sept. 10-13.
Through a series of stunning displays and not-to-be-missed presentations, D23 EXPO attendees will explore the rich legacy and future of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts – a story that began in 1955 with Disneyland and has since grown to include 11 theme parks at five vacation destinations around the globe, as well as new immersive vacation experiences including Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney and Disney Vacation Club. On Saturday, Sept. 12, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo will share some behind-the-magic details as he pulls back the curtain on several new projects – including the 12-acre Cars Land that’s set to open at Disney’s California Adventure in 2012.
Here’s a sampling of exciting Disney Parks experiences that D23 EXPO attendees will discover:
– Never-before-seen models of classic Disney attractions and glimpses of coming projects that will surprise and delight even the most knowledgeable Disney fans.
– An exclusive sneak peek at the expansion of Disney’s California Adventure that’s so big, it won’t fit inside Blue Sky Cellar.
– The chance to meet, up close and personal, Lucky the Dinosaur and Wall-E.
– A preview of the most advanced Audio-Animatronics figures ever created.
– Displays showcasing cutting-edge effects technologies that are being developed for Disney attractions, shows and venues.
– New Disney Cruise Line itineraries for 2011.
Also, in the 500-seat Storytellers Theater, Imagineers and cast members who create and operate Disney’s parks, resorts, cruise ships and other vacation experiences will take fans behind-the-magic with a variety of presentations including:
– “World of Color” – Imagineer Steven Davison brings to life “World of Color,” the water-and-fire spectacular that will debut next year at
Disney’s California Adventure.
– The Making of Toy Story Mania! – From its interactive elements and innovative ride system to its cutting-edge Audio-Animatronics figure of Mr. Potato Head, Toy Story Mania! represents a new kind of Disney theme park attraction. Meet the team who helped bring it to life.
So You Want to Become an Imagineer – A panel of Imagineers will answer one of the most frequently asked questions of Walt Disney Imagineering – “How does one become an Imagineer?” – and will share what it’s like to be one.
– The Making of the U.S. Presidents – Imagineers will talk about updating both Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln at Disneyland and The
Hall of Presidents at Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.
– An Afternoon With Imagineering Legends – Disney Legend Marty Sklar will lead a celebration of the careers and accomplishments of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts cast members who have been named Disney Legends.
Tickets to the D23 EXPO are available at http://www.d23expo.com/. Admission includes access to all experiences and entertainment at the D23 EXPO and can be purchased for single days or for the full four days of festivities. Admission is $37 for a one-day adult ticket and $27 for children 3-12. Four-day passes are $111 for adults and $81 for children. Members of D23: The Official Community for Disney Fans will receive a discount on up to four same-day admissions, as well as early entry to each day of the D23 EXPO for themselves and their guests.
Special vacation packages including Disneyland Resort hotel accommodations, D23 EXPO tickets and theme park admission are available at the D23 EXPO Web site. Packages are available from both the Walt Disney Travel Company and the Anaheim/ Orange County Visitor & Convention Bureau, which is offering a limited number of area hotel rooms at special rates to those attending the D23 EXPO.
Many more details about D23 EXPO entertainment, events and special guests will be announced in the coming weeks. Fans can keep up with all the news by visiting www.D23EXPO.com, as well as by following “Disney D23″ at Twitter and on Facebook.