Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has released a clip from the brand new ‘Alan Menken and Friends’ bonus feature from the 25th anniversary edition of the immortal classic, Beauty and the Beast, on Blu-ray September 20, 2016 (now available for pre-order), with an earlier digital release on September 6. The segment features Alan Menken joined by Lin-Manual Miranda (currently working on Moana), Bobby Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez (currently working on Gigantic and the Broadway adaptation of Frozen) and Stephen Schwartz.
Twenty-five years ago, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast broke ground as the first animated feature film to receive an Academy Award® nomination for best picture, and now this tale as old as time joins the Walt Disney Signature Collection on Sept. 6 on Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere, and on Sept. 20 on Blu-ray™ and DVD.
The beloved animated classic has truly stood the test of time and now a whole new generation of viewers are invited to be our guest and fall in love with this enchanting tale, its captivating characters and unforgettable, award-winning music score and original song, Beauty and the Beast.
The Walt Disney Signature Collection edition features four versions of Beauty and the Beast. The Blu-ray release will include the original theatrical film; an extended version with the ‘Human Again’ song sequence and a never-before-released on home entertainment sing-along version. The original work-in-progress version will be available digitally and on Disney Movies Anywhere.
There is also a host of all-new bonus extras including a rare opportunity to gather around the piano with some of Disney’s greatest composers, including Alan Menken, Stephen Schwartz, Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez and Lin-Manuel Miranda as they sing and share how they’ve personally been inspired by the film’s award-winning music; a look at how Walt Disney himself sought to adapt this famous fairytale; a nostalgic look back with Paige O’Hara, the voice of Belle; behind-the-scenes access into the recording booth with the cast; and a sneak peek at Disney’s upcoming live-action re-telling of Beauty and the Beast, arriving in theaters in 2017.
- Original theatrical version
- New advanced sing-along version
- Extended version with ‘Human Again’ song sequence
- Work-in-progress version (Digital and Disney Movies Anywhere only)
- Menken & Friends: 25 Years of Musical Inspiration – Get a front-row seat for an intimate discussion between legendary music composers from classic and future Disney films, including Alan Menken, Stephen Schwartz, Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez and Lin-Manuel Miranda. Discover how the composers are personally connected, how they first experienced Beauty and the Beast and how they find inspiration for their own films. And watch as they pay tribute to the film’s award-winning music score and the man who has inspired them all — Alan Menken.
- #1074: Walt, Fairy Tales & Beauty and the Beast – Long before Beauty and the Beast became the instant classic we know and love, Walt Disney made two attempts — between the 1930s and 1950s — to adapt the famous fairy tale into an animated film. Discover what Walt and his team was dreaming up through Walt’s actual voice recordings, archived artwork, story notes, and learn why the project was sidelined for decades.
- Always Belle – The original voice of Belle, Paige O’Hara, reminisces about earning the role of the beautiful bookworm in Beauty and the Beast and recalls how the iconic character changed her life and continues to inspire fans both young and old.
- The Recording Sessions – Go in the recording booth with the cast of Beauty and the Beast and see what went into adding voices to the characters and the lines we know and love.
- 25 Fun Facts About Beauty and the Beast – Disney Channel’s Gus Kamp and Kayla Maisonet host this entertaining countdown featuring little-known fun facts, anecdotes and hidden Easter Eggs (references to Disney animated films and characters) from one of the most cherished animated films of all time.
- Beauty and The Beast Sneak Peek – An exciting first look into the live-action re-telling of Beauty and the Beast, which refashions the classic characters from the tale as old as time for a contemporary audience, staying true to the original music while updating the score with several new songs.
- Classic Bonus Features – These offerings from prior home entertainment releases include over five hours of bonus material, such as an alternate version of ‘Be Our Guest’ and the ‘Beauty and the Beast’ music video performed by Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson, and deleted scenes. (Digital and Disney Movies Anywhere only)
Target also has an exclusive with its own cover as well as a 32 page storybook.