The epic storytelling of Disney’s The Lion King continues with The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar, a primetime television movie event premiering on November 22 at 7 pm ET/PT on Disney Channel. The movie follows Kion, the second-born cub of Simba and Nala, as he assumes the role of leader of the Lion Guard, a team of animals tasked with preserving the Pride Lands. The movie is a precursor to ‘The Lion Guard’ television series, premiering in early 2016 on Disney Channels and Disney Junior channels around the globe.
Set in the African Savanna, The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar follows Kion as he assembles the members of the Lion Guard. While traditionally the Lion Guard has been comprised of lions known to be the fiercest, bravest, fastest, strongest and keenest of sight in the Pride Lands, Kion breaks tradition by instead calling upon some of his friends who he believes best exemplify these heroic qualities. Throughout the movie and the series, the diverse team of young animals will learn how to utilize each of their unique abilities to solve problems and accomplish tasks to maintain balance within the Circle of Life, while also introducing young viewers to the vast array of animals that populate the prodigious African landscape.
Meet the Lion Guard:
- KION — The fiercest, and the leader of the Lion Guard. Kion is the second born cub of Simba and Nala and brother of future ruler of the Pridelands Kiara.
- BUNGA — The bravest, and Kion’s best friend and co-conspirator. Bunga is a Honey Badger and adoptive son of Timon & Pumbaa.
- FULI — The fastest cheetah in the Pridelands. And a tomboy who takes her position in the Lion Guard very seriously.
- BESHTE — The strongest who is friends with everyone in the Pridelands. A happy hippo who is still realizing his full strength.
- ONO — The keenest of sight, and the Lion Guard’s intellectual advisor. Ono is an Egret who always has his ‘eyes in the sky.’
James Earl Jones and Ernie Sabella reprise their roles from The Lion King as Mufasa and Pumbaa, respectively, alongside Rob Lowe as Simba and Gabrielle Union as Nala. Max Charles stars as Kion. The voice cast also includes Joshua Rush as Kion’s best friend, Bunga, a fearless honey badger; Atticus Shaffer as Ono, an intellectual egret; Diamond White as Fuli, a confident cheetah; and Dusan Brown as Beshte, a friendly and good-spirited hippo. Additional cast members include: Eden Riegel as Kiara, Sarah Hyland (“Modern Family”) as Tiifu, Madison Pettis as Zuri, Jeff Bennett as Zazu, Andrew Kishino as Janja, Vargus Mason as Cheezi, Greg Ellis as Mzingo, Khary Payton as Rafiki, and Kevin Schon as Chungu and Timon.
The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar is a production of Disney Television Animation.