NATIONAL HARBOR, MD (May 19, 2009) – The Peterson Companies announced today the sale of land at its National Harbor development near Washington, DC to Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Disney is considering using the 15-acre site overlooking the Potomac River in National Harbor, MD as the location for a resort hotel for families and others visiting the National Capital Region.
“We’re thrilled Disney has decided to invest in National Harbor,” said Milton V. Peterson, chairman of the Peterson Companies. “Disney is the top family entertainment company in the world, and its purchase is a great vote of confidence in the future of National Harbor and the Washington area as a top family tourism destination.”
The new resort hotel would be one of Disney’s stand-alone resort hotels separate from the Disney theme parks. This new resort hotel, like the project under construction in Hawaii, will be in a prime geographic location and will provide guests with the same comfort, fun and amenities for which Disney is famous.
“As we began identifying possible locations to grow our business, the Washington, DC area immediately jumped to the top of the list,” said Jay Rasulo, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “National Harbor offers an array of entertaining activities for regional visitors, but it is also a family-friendly base camp, from which visitors from around the world can explore the stirring sights and inspirational stories of our nation’s capital. We believe National Harbor has the unique opportunity to offer a new level of family-friendly hospitality.”
Disney purchased the Maryland property from the Peterson Companies for $11 million.
About the National Harbor and Gaylord National Projects
The National Harbor is a 300 acre waterfront destination, set along a 1 1/4 mile panoramic stretch of the Potomac River in Prince George’s County, Maryland. The cornerstone of this project is the new Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center, the largest non-gaming hotel and convention center on the Eastern Seaboard.
At completion the total project will include
* 7,300,000 s/f of master plan mixed-use community in Prince George’s County, MD
* 4,000 hotel rooms
* 470,000 s/f Gaylord National convention center
* 1 Million s/f of retail, dining, and entertainment space
* 2,500 residential units
* 500,000 s/f of class “A” office space
* 3 piers, including a marina
* 10,000 on-site parking spaces
In its first phase, National Harbor features 5 hotels and the Wyndham Vacation Resorts providing approximately 1,000 guestrooms in addition to the Gaylord National. These include the Hilton’s Hampton Inn and Suites, the Residence Inn by Marriott, the Westin, the Aloft and the Wyndham Vacation Resorts Timeshare.
GAYLORD NATIONAL® RESORT AND CONVENTION CENTER:
* 2,000 guestrooms including 108 lavish suites and 300 VIP Tower rooms
* A spectacular 18-story, 1.65-acre multi-level atrium with views of the Potomac River and Old Town Alexandria
* 470,000 s/f of flexible convention, meeting, exhibition and pre-function space
* 180,000 s/f exhibition hall with 17 dedicated loading docks
* 50,000 s/f ballroom featuring theatrical stage, plus outdoor balcony offering views of the Potomac River
* 3 additional ballrooms of 30,000 s/f, 14,000 s/f and 8,100 s/f
* 74 breakout rooms with maximum flexibility
NATIONAL HARBOR™ RESIDENTIAL:
* National Harbor offers 450 condominiums in its first three buildings
* One National Harbor, 242 unit
* Fleet Street condominiums, 163 units
* Waterfront Street condominiums, 18 units
* Condominiums feature 1st class amenities such as rooftop swimming pool, underground parking and concierge services
NATIONAL HARBOR™ COMMERCIAL OFFICE:
* 120,000 s/f of class “A” office space in the first two buildings—120 Waterfront Street and 174 Waterfront Street
* Flexible floor plans that accommodate both small and large tenants
* National Harbor provides an ideal location with spectacular views of the Potomac
NATIONAL HARBOR™ ARTS AND LANDSCAPING:
* Sasaki Associates Inc. and Land Design, the country’s premiere urban landscape designers, provided overall expertise and coordination of vision
* Artwork, landscaping and tailored public spaces give National Harbor a feeling of urban elegance
* Visitors to National Harbor who arrive by water are greeted by the sight of the great giant struggling to escape earthly bounds depicted in Seward Johnson’s evocative sculpture “The Awakening”.
* The Beckoning, an 85’ contemporary sculpture created by Albert Palley, confirms your arrival to National Harbor
* 2 artisan fountains will welcome visitors from parking areas
* 2 featured pond fountains enhance restored natural habitats
* Landscaping, a signature aspect of all Peterson developments, brings a resort-like atmosphere to the cityscape
* “American Way”, the main thoroughfare running through National Harbor, recalls the spirit of America’s main street: vibrant, exciting and full of life
* Direct access to National Harbor via I-95/495 Exit 2A makes it the only private community with direct access to the Capital Beltway
* Direct access from I-295 Exit 1A, Route 210 and Oxon Hill Road
* Easy access to Reagan National, Dulles International and Baltimore Washington International airports
* Public bus transportation provided by The Maryland Department of Public Works and Transportation (MDOT) and Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA)
* The $3 Billion new Woodrow Wilson Bridge is complete and includes 12 lanes and can now accommodate up to 400,000 vehicles