Glendale, CA – September 2, 2009 – Disney today unveiled a first glimpse of how it will influence fashion trends in 2010 with the announcement of a spectacular fashion-driven lifestyle program inspired by its upcoming feature Alice In Wonderland. As part of this phenomenal line, Disney Consumer Products (DCP) announced renowned jewelry designer and Council of Fashion Designers of America winner, Tom Binns, as the first in a cadre of top designers and brands soon to be revealed.
In celebration of the forthcoming collection, DCP tipped its hat to fashion staging an unexpected and most elaborate tea party at the MAGIC Marketplace, the world’s most comprehensive fashion trade event, in Las Vegas this week. Wonderland-influenced performers took the unsuspecting MAGIC crowd by surprise as the maddest of tea parties came alive before their eyes showcasing fashion inspirations similar to those releasing in Spring 2010 in conjunction with the film. Proving that it was not just a figment of their imagination, a viral video of this mad spectacle premiered today for all to view at www.YouTube.com/DisneyLiving, DCP’s official YouTube Channel.
Disney Consumer Products caused a scene — both literally and literally — at the MAGIC fashion trade show in Las Vegas earlier this week as a cirque d’alice sprung up from nowhere, stunning the unwittingly invited guests at the ‘Mad Tea at Three’ event designed to generate buzz over an upcoming line of fashion centered around Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland. At the ‘spontaneous’ display’s climax, banners sprung up out of nowhere asking attendees ‘what who will you wear to the tea party?’ and the catchy-slash-clever play on the popular fashion cliche, ‘Alice is the new black.’
MEXICO CITY — Spanish speaking fans of Club Penguin can now waddle around, interact and play games in the popular, snow-covered virtual world in their own language.
The new Spanish version of the virtual world (www.clubpenguin.com/es) is supported by native Spanish-speaking staff that understands the unique cultural references of the audience and can provide timely and responsive moderation and player support as well as local currency payment options.
Lane Merrifield, one of Club Penguin’s co-founders and executive vice president of Disney Online, was in Mexico City to announce the launch of the virtual world in Spanish.
D23 has announced that it will be offering a companion book to the Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives exhibit at D23 Expo.
Featuring over 70 items that will be on display in the exhibit, the book offers an intimate look at some of the most coveted treasures of the Walt Disney Archives.
The limited edition book will be sold at the exhibit (which first opens Thursday at 12 pm) and comes in either a hardcover ($40, numbered LE first run of 500) and softcover ($25, LE first run of 1000).
Here’s a list of some of the exciting artists and events you’ll find performing on the Disney Dream Stage at the D23 Expo:
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 10 Disney Healthy Living Seminar (1:30 PM to 2:30 PM)
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 11 Performance Artist Noah (9:00 AM to 11:00 AM) World renowned Artist Noah, known to Disneyphiles for his Disney fine art work will entertain and engage audiences of all ages with a live performance of art creation, in which he will use his unique stylized photorealism technique, as creates a special tribute piece depicting the Sorcerer’s Apprentice, on a 5ft. Vinylmation figure. This one of a kind unique work by the artist, is sure to be the pinnacle of a Disney enthusiasts vinyl collection.
Fashion Show – Disney Couture & Pop Fashion (3:30 PM to 4:00 PM)
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 12 Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique Transformation (11:00 AM to 1:00 PM) With the help of our Fairy Godmothers-in-training, watch as they perform magical transformations on some of our royal subjects.
Thomas Kinkade Presentation (3:00 PM to 3:30 PM) Join us for a special presentation at the Disney Dream Stage by famed artist and “Painter of Light,”TM Thomas Kinkade as he unveils the fourth installment in the Disney Dreams Collection — what will it be? He’s already captured the stories of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Peter Pan and Tinker Bell! What classic Disney film or story might have captured his artistic imagination now? See this exclusive unveiling, plus hints of his work to capture the essence of Disney’s upcoming Princess and the Frog!
(Hint: Curious to see what Kinkade will be presenting? Look no further!)
Kids Fashion Show (4:00 PM to 4:30 PM)
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 13 Collectors Editions Panel Discussion (12:30 PM to 1:30 PM) With Toby Bluth, Trevor Carlton, James Coleman, Harrison Ellenshaw, Noah, Mike Kungl, Tim Rogerson, John Rowe
Studio Disney 365 Transformation (2:30 PM to 4:30 PM) Ever wish you could rock out like some of your favorite TV stars? Watch as our talent agents and stylists perform Studio Star makeovers on some of our stars of tomorrow.
Tom Staggs, senior executive vice president and chief financial officer, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS), will participate in a question-and-answer session at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch 2009 Media, Communications and Entertainment Conference on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 at 3:15 p.m. PDT / 6:15 p.m. EDT. To listen to a live Webcast of the session, please point your browser to www.disney.com/investors approximately five minutes prior to the start time. A re-play will be provided through Wednesday, September 23, 2009 at 4:00 p.m. PDT.
- Additional photography/recording restrictions have been laid down. In addition to no photography of the Treasures of the Archives exhibit, all cameras (and perhaps all electronics/bags) must be checked prior to entering the Arena for the Bob Iger presentation, the 2009 Disney Legends Ceremony on Thursday and the Dick Cook presentation on Friday. Additional panels and screenings also specficially prohibit photography. The D23 Expo schedule has been updated to reflect at least some of these changes.
- The Treasures of the Archive Exhibit will have a delayed opening on Thursday only. The exhibit will open at 12 pm, following the Disney Legends Ceremony
- While Nicolas Cage is rumored to appear during Dick Cook’s presentation, the schedule indicates there will be multiple surprise celebrity guests
- Disney Channel starlets Tiffany Thornton (Sonny with a Chance) and Chelsea Staub (JONAS) are scheduled to appear during a VoluntEAR panel on Sunday in Hall B at the Disney Corporate Responsibility pavilion where they will offer a meet & greet
- The schedule has been updated to rename the signing session for Wizards of Waverly Place which takes place at 4 pm on Sunday to simply be for Disney Channel Stars (which implies Tiffany and Chelsea may attend as well)
- The ABC Screening Room has published its schedule for your chance to check out upcoming series on the ABC network. From Friday through Sunday, Eastwick will be shown at 11 am, FlashForward will be shown at 12 pm and 4 pm, The Middle will be shown at 2 pm and Modern Family will be shown at 10 am and 3 pm as well as 1 pm and 2 pm on Thursday. Keep in mind that a half-hour show is about 22 minutes long, so the hour long shows are approximately 44 minutes in length.
- Disney Fine Art by Collectors Editions has announced a daily schedule of its guests and featured artists: Thursday, meet D23 Expo official artist Tim Rogerson, Mike Kupka and Trevor Carlton; Friday, meet artists John Rowe, Noah, Jim Salvati, Allison Lefcort and actress Paige O’Hara (voice of Belle from the Disney classic Beauty and the Beast); Saturday, meet artists James Coleman, Doug Day, Manuel Hernandez and voice actors Eddie Carroll (Jiminy Cricket) and Dick ‘Dickie’ Jones (Pinocchio); Sunday, meet artists Harrison Ellenshaw, David Garibaldi, Mike Kungl and original Tinker Bell reference model Margaret Kerry.
- Finally (if that’s not enough and assuming I don’t remember what I forgot), with two new ships and an expansion at Castaway Cay, Disney Cruise Line has plenty to talk about and they’re not shying away. When DCL President Karl Holz takes the stage early Friday morning for the Disney Cruise Line presentation, amongst all the exciting news, new itineraries and ports of call for 2011 will be announced and will be streamed LIVE on the internet for all to see. You can tune in for the presentation at http://www.disneycruise.com/2011 beginning at 12 PM ET/9 AM PT on Friday, September 11. They’ve even produced a video to promote the event:
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment would like to invite you to a sneak peek at the upcoming Disney Fairies Blu-ray and DVD release, Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure. You can read all about the upcoming release which debuts October 27 here.
Attendees of the D23 Expo will also have an opportunity to experience the film in its entirety on Sunday, September 13 at 4 pm in the Walt Disney Studios Theater.
Disney Channel will celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with programming events for preschoolers, kids, tweens and families beginning TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 15. Included is a Playhouse Disney mini-marathon and new episode of its Emmy and Imagen Award-nominated series “Handy Manny.”
Wilmer Valderrama of “Handy Manny” and Maria Canals-Barrera of the hit Emmy-nominated series “Wizards of Waverly Place” will host interstitials highlighting Hispanic traditions. The interstitials will also feature kids from around the nation sharing cultural traditions such as La Arana, Los Pollitos, salsa dancing and Quinceañeras.
A spectacular new dragon joins “Fantasmic!,” stretching as high as 45 feet tall and breathing great plumes of fire on the Rivers of America at Disneyland. Performances of the show have been extended nightly through Sept. 7, and will continue weekends – Friday, Saturday, Sunday – as well as during holiday periods through the end of 2009. Nighttime Disneyland guests can also enjoy the “Magical” fireworks show, which has been extended through Labor Day and weekends thereafter through Sept. 20. Both Tinker Bell and Dumbo the Flying Elephant make special appearances in “Magical.”
* The new dragon is a fully animated three-dimensional design that replicates the movements of the dragon in “Sleeping Beauty.”
* Maleficent, a classic Disney villain, transforms into a dragon during “Fantasmic!” – just as she does in the famous Walt Disney Pictures film.
* The “Fantasmic!” dragon is 32 feet wide and weighs approximately 18,000 pounds.
* When she stretches to full height, the dragon stands 45 feet tall.
* When she “lurks” beneath the “Fantasmic!” stage prior to appearing, the dragon contracts to 22 feet tall.
* During the spectacular finale, she rises to stage level in 35 seconds on a custom-built elevator.
* Tri-color LED lighting fixtures put the gleam in the dragon’s eyes.
* In her spectacular appearance, Maleficent breathes a plume of fire 35 feet long, lighting the Rivers of America on fire for 25 seconds during the show.
* During the show, the dragon is controlled and monitored by four computer systems.
* The dynamic and menacing animation of the dragon is achieved via 18 axes of motion which enable a wide rangeof movement in her eyes, ears, mouth, tongue, neck, wings and body.
Here’s a photo gallery of high-res images of the new dragon. All images (c) Paul Hiffmeyer/Disneyland.