Recently, Pinocchio’s conscience marked a milestone of his own as he celebrated fifty years of being the mascot of the USAF 3rd Aerial Port Squadron at Pope AFB in North Carolina.
It was in September of 1959 that Jiminy was featured on the official patch of the 3rd APS. Based on a sketch by Airman 2nd Class Robert Dunlap, the patch was the first ever allowed for the APS as patches were reserved only for flying squadrons up until that point. Of course Jiminy is a copyrighted character owned by Disney so Walt Disney himself authorized the license for Jiminy’s use at a hefty government-esqe fee of $1.
Of course, this isn’t the first or only time an organization has adopted a Disney character as its mascot. A handshake from Walt was the basis of Donald Duck (and look-alike) serving as the mascot of the University of Oregon for decades. Goofy has also been the face of the Olympic team in France.
For more information on the APS and to see more incarnations of the patch, check out this site.
In anticipation of the Blu-ray and DVD release of Hannah Montana The Movie on August 18, we are pleased to bring you this sneak peek at some of the hilarious bloopers that occurred while making the film.
Despite accidentally eating some chicken feed that flew into her mouth while filming a scene, Miley found a new BFF in her fine feathered co-stars, even wanting to take one home with her. Miley said, ‘Other stars walk around Hollywood with little dogs under their arms, but I want to walk around with my little chicken!’ For the record, Miley also confessed that chicken feed tastes disgusting, so please don’t try it at home.
The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) will announce fiscal full year and fourth quarter 2009 financial results via a live audio Webcast beginning at 4:30 p.m. EST / 1:30 p.m. PST on Thursday, November 12, 2009 (results will be released at approximately 4:01 p.m. EST / 1:01 p.m. PST). To listen to the Webcast, point your browser to www.disney.com/investors. The discussion will be available via re-play through November 26, 2009 at 7:00 p.m. EST / 4:00 p.m. PST.
Corporate ambition makes for strange bedfellows when a hard-nosed executive talks her overworked assistant into a marriage of convenience in The Proposal, arriving on Blu-ray Hi-Def and DVD on October 20, 2009 from Buena Vista Home Entertainment. A contemporary romantic comedy from director Anne Fletcher (27 Dresses), The Proposal is available in Two-Disc Blu-ray Hi-Def and DVD editions, as well as Single-Disc DVD and Blu-ray editions. Bonus features include filmmaker commentary, bloopers and a hilarious alternate ending. Both Two-Disc DVD and Blu-ray versions also include a Digital Copy of the movie that can be viewed on an array of electronic devices.
With less than a month to go before the D23 Expo, the good folks at Disney and D23 are scrambling to dot all the t’s and cross all the i’s and get this information out so that we’re all best prepared before we step foot onto the floor of the Anaheim Convention Center.
Many of the news items we have already shared with you. From the ABC panel hosted by Tom Bergeron to the Live Auction details and lots and performance by artist David Garibaldi to the Wizards of Waverly Place event and more.
Now we’d like to share some additional, smaller (but just as important) news items that we’ve been tweeting about (and even some new information) that don’t quite require their own article.
- Attendees will have the option of purchasing Twilight Tickets. Although prices haven’t been cited, the regular price for the Twilight Ticket is $46. The ticket allows you entry into one of the Disneyland Resort parks after 4 PM. Attendees will also have the ability to purchase single day park hoppers as well. Both kinds of tickets will be sold at the Disneyland kiosk.
- Stage 23 will be cleared out between each presentation so there is no squatting allowed
- Disney will be operating a canned food drive to benefit The Orange County Food Bank, so donations are encouraged
- The wristband you get from entering the D23 Expo is your ticket to dozens of additional discounts throughout the Orange County area. See here for details.
And now for some new tidbits…
- KFSN-TV, ABC 30 in Fresno will bring a mobile news unit inside D23 Expo to demonstrate the technology used today to be able to report news from virtually anywhere
- You’ll get first looks at Toy Story Midway Mania for the Nintendo Wii with game stations set up so you can play the game before its release. You’ll also get to look at some of the innovations from the Toy-morrow group including the Ultimate Buzz Lightyear (which you can also preview online here).
- Speaking of TSMM, 3D is all the rage and will not be neglected at the Expo either. On display will be the 3D camera used to produce all of the 3D presentations from the Disney Parks along with a top of the line 3D camera used in motion pictures today. You’ll also get sneak peeks at upcoming 3D projects from Walt Disney Studios.
From paintings to props to once-in-a-lifetime experiences, now’s your chance to check out some of the items up for auction at D23 Expo’s Live Auction taking place Saturday, September 12 in the Arena.
Don’t forget, you will need to purchase an auctioneer’s package for the right to participate in bidding on the items in addition to D23 Expo admission.
Details have been released on the Disney pins that will be released at the first annual Disney D23 Expo in Anaheim, California from September 9 – 13, including D23 members only charter year exclusive pins.
The pins will be available for purchase in the Disney Dream Store located in Exhibit Hall C.
To see a larger version of each pin, click on the thumbnail. To see all of the pins being released at D23 Expo, click here.
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., August 14, 2009 – Entrepreneur Magazine’s August issue names Orlando as one of the “Top 10 Best Cities to Start a Business” and gives kudos to the Disney Entrepreneur Center for its efforts in mentoring small-business owners and directing them to the right resources.
“We are unbelievably fortunate to have community leadership that is creative, open to partnerships, and willing to give a new idea or a new business an opportunity,” says Jerry Ross, executive director of the Disney Entrepreneur Center.
Founded in 2003, the Disney Entrepreneur Center is a one-of-a-kind resource available to any small business in Central Florida and provides access to a variety of business resources, technology, research tools and support organizations. Since its inception, the center has facilitated $125,000,000 in small business loans, coached and trained 70,000 businesses and assisted with 700 new business start-ups.
According to Ross, the secret to growth isn’t in luring companies from out of state but is taking care to cultivate what you already have through “economic gardening.”
To learn more about the Disney Entrepreneur Center, visit http://www.disneyec.com.
It is the classic game of LIFE with a chilling spin. Welcome to the After-LIFE incorporates the stories, mythology, history and the scary fun of the Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disneyland Paris Haunted Mansion attraction (known as Phantom Manor in Paris) to create an otherworldly game play experience.
If you’ve played THE GAME OF LIFE, then you’re in for a real treat (and a few tricks!) It’s all here from the game you know, but re-imagined to take place on the grounds of Master Gracey’s vast, decrepit, and mostly haunted estate. You may encounter the “soul” mortal — the Grounds Keeper and his dog — as you travel through the After-LIFE. There will be trials and tribulations as you, kind spirit, encounter a hitch-hiking ghost or three, all the while trying to accumulate the most screams along the way. If you are the spirit to arrive at the FINAL RESTING PLACE with the most accumulated screams you will be welcomed as the 1,000 ghost at the Haunted Mansion.
On Friday, August 21, you can meet board game artists Quynh Kimball, Garret Webb & Derek Lesinski at Once Upon a Toy in the Downtown Disney Marketplace as they celebrate the launch of the newest member of the Disney-branded classic board games, available only at the theme parks. Times for the event are 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm. Don’t forget your death certificate!
Spook-tacular facts about The Game of Life: Haunted Mansion, Welcome to the After-Life Edition
- The game board centers on extending the stories of the four stretch paintings found within the Haunted Mansion.
- Elements from inside and outside the Mansions tucked with in the game board. Can you find the musical instruments? “Tomb Sweet Tomb”? Transformation paintings? Tombstones? Busts from the library, the pet cemetery, the ghosts and ghouls, the five roses?
- The buildings include the Haunted Mansion from Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disneyland Paris (aka Phantom Manor), a crypt, a carriage house, the Grounds Keepers shack, and a BOO-niversity. The buildings and spinner are glow-in-the-dark.
- The spinner is inspired by Madam Leota’s table, complete with tarot cards on the table, a melted candle on the spinner and a raven who watches your every move.
- The bridges hold a few surprises of their own
- The movers are modified Doombuggies, to hold you and your “passengers” along the path of the After-LIFE.
- Also included are new elements not found at the Mansions but would certainly be found at the Gracey Estate.
- The “Scareer” cards have images of the classic spirits residing in the Haunted Mansion and a few more that have long since been unseen, until now.
- And of course, there are Hidden Mickeys — see how many you can find on the game board and on the cover.
UPDATE: Courtesy of Ghost Relations, here are some additional photos from actual game play. Click on any of the thumbnails to view its original size or click the PicLens link to start the slideshow.