Right now, Disney D23 Expo 2013 is gearing up to be the biggest and best ever. Being held August 9-11, 2013 at the Anaheim Convention Center near the Disneyland Resort, D23 Expo unites The Walt Disney Company with fans and fans with other fans. More than 40,000 fans congregated in 2011 to explore the past, present and future of Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, Disney Interactive Studios, Disney/ABC Television and more, with the third expo promising even more.
Disney D23 has provided us with just some of the returning favorites as well as new additions to provide a more enjoyable experience for attendees.
The Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives returns to Disney D23 Expo with a 12,000 square foot display offering glimpses at some of the most coveted items from the Studios’ rich history.
Also returning will be the fan art contest, which has paid homage to Donald Duck as well as the 50th anniversary of 101 Dalmatians. The contest in 2013 promises to be practically perfect, however, as it honors the 50th anniversary of Mary Poppins.
The Disney Legends ceremony will also return, taking place in conjunction with the expo. Stay tuned to learn who the honorees will be this time around.
LARGER FLOOR, INCREASED ROOM CAPACITIES
For 2013, the Disney D23 Expo will serve up more space on the floor as well as inside its presentation rooms to make the magic more accessible to as many attendees as possible. The show floor will be comprised of Halls A, B, C and D of the Convention Center. In addition, the show will feature an expanded collectors’ forum, the popular destination for Disney fans to meet with other fans who offer various Disney-related products and services.
In addition to increased floor space, Stage 23, the largest presentation area outside of the Arena will be expanded to accommodate nearly 2,000 attendees. As for the Arena itself, which quickly fills to capacity for its major presentations, an overflow room will be provided with a live video feed for more than 2,000 attendees unable to make it into the Arena itself.
Attendees who are Disney D23 members will also continue to have special benefits such as early admission to the show floor. Charter members will also again have access to a special lounge where they can relax and meet with other members throughout the day.
TICKET PRICE INCREASE
Not surprisingly, 2013 will see a price increase in admission, but it’s really not all that terrible in the grand scheme of things (see the Sorcerer package for that). All three tiers (early bird, advanced, regular) still exist and essentially the regular (highest) prices for 2011 have become the early bird prices for 2013 with increases at the remaining tiers accordingly. The full tier pricing and dates are as follows:
EARLY BIRD (August 9, 2012 – December 31)
- D23 Member 1 Day: $40 Adult, $32 Child
- D23 Member 3 Day: $115 Adult, $91 Child
- Non-Member 1 Day: $47 Adult, $37 Child
- Non-Member 3 Day: $136 Adult, $106 Child
ADVANCED (January 1, 2013 – June 15)
- D23 Member 1 Day: $45 Adult, $37 Child
- D23 Member 3 Day: $130 Adult, $106 Child
- Non-Member 1 Day: $52 Adult, $42 Child
- Non-Member 3 Day: $151 Adult, $121 Child
REGULAR / EXPO ADMISSION (June 16, 2013 – August 11)
- D23 Member 1 Day: $50 Adult, $42 Child
- D23 Member 3 Day: $145 Adult, $121 Child
- Non-Member 1 Day: $57 Adult, $47 Child
- Non-Member 3 Day: $166 Adult, $136 Child
The Sorcerer package returns in 2013, but the price has now increased to $1500 per ticket. Only D23 members are allowed to purchase the package, but each member may buy up to 2 additional tickets.
Benefits of the Sorcerer package includes:
- Three-day admission ticket
- Reserved seating at all presentations in the D23 Arena and Stage 23
- Commemorative Sorcerer credential
- Pre-Expo tour of the Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives exhibit
- Exclusive shopping time in the D23 Expo Dream Store and the Treasure Trove the day before the Expo is open to guests
- Exclusive tour of the D23 Expo show floor the day before the Expo is open to the public
- Private welcome reception
- Special entrance to the Expo each morning
- Hardbound Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives catalog
- Hardbound Disney Legends ceremony commemorative program
- A voucher for an appointment with an on-site massage therapist
- Exclusive D23 Expo 2013 tote bag filled with gifts
- “Fond Farewell” reception on final day of Expo
- Access to the Sorcerer Member Lounge
Tickets at all levels will become available for purchase beginning Thursday, August 9, 2012 at 10 am PST at d23expo.com
D23 Expo: ABC Adds Saturday Night Live’s Chris Parnell, Composer Michael Giacchino to ‘Prep & Landing’ Panel
PBe among the first to watch ABC’s most anticipated new fall series and animated holiday special and to have a chance to learn the secrets behind how they were made. Fans will have those opportunities at the D23 Expo, where the entire world of Disney comes together, August 19 and 20, at the Anaheim Convention Center.
Get a jump on the holiday season on Friday, August 19 at 12:45 p.m. in Stage 23, as the D23 exposition unwraps Walt Disney Animation Studios’ festive new special, “Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice,” with an exclusive premiere screening of the latest, nicest and naughtiest adventure in this multiple Emmy Award(r)-winning program. Santa’s dauntless elves, Wayne and Lanny, find themselves up to their pointy ears in trouble, as they race to recover classified North Pole technology, which has fallen into the hands of a computer-hacking Naughty Kid. Their mission to prevent Christmas from descending into chaos has some riotous twists, turns and surprises. A special “Christmas in August” presentation and Q&A, moderated by “D23′s Disney Geek” host Jeffrey Epstein, will follow with Emmy Award-winning directors Kevin Deters & Stevie Wermers-Skelton and producer Dorothy McKim.
A special guest star appearance with funnyman Chris Parnell (“Saturday Night Live,” “30 Rock,” “Curb Your Enthusiasm”) and award-winning composer Michael Giacchino (“Up,” “Ratatouille,” “Cars 2,” “John Carter,” “Mission Impossible-Ghost Protocol,” “Lost”) will take place after the presentation.
Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz — the esteemed executive producers/writers of “Lost” and writers of “Tron: Legacy” — bring you ABC’s “Once Upon a Time,” a bold new series where fairytale characters collide with our world. On Saturday, August 20 at 12:45 p.m. in Stage 23, join Eddy and Adam for a Q&A, moderated by “D23′s Disney Geek” host Jeffrey Epstein, as well as a special screening of the show. Brace yourselves for a modern fable with thrilling twists and hints of darkness, brimming with wonder and filled with the magic of our most beloved fairytales. The series will premiere on Sunday, October 23 on ABC.
D23 Expo Update: Collectors Forum Map, Celeb and Merchandise Updates, Giveaways and Contests (and More!)
It’s been too long since there’s been a special Disney D23 Expo update and we have too much to share with you, so there’s a good chance stuff will be forgotten here and for that, we apologize. That said, here are a bunch of mouse-cellaneous updates you will be sure to appreciate knowing when visiting the Disney D23 Expo next weekend, August 19-21.
First, the Dumbo in the room. The official Disney D23 mobile-app that we were first to report was ‘released’ last night. It’s basically a web-app (or really, a mobile-friendly website) which can be found at D23Mobile.com. The app currently offers maps of all three floors (found under the Things to Know section) and allows you to create an account to identify the panels and presentations you are interested in attending (this is strictly for your benefit, not a reservation system!). It also has links to Twitter feeds as well as a way to keep on top of last minute announcements during the Expo. The best part is, it works on a normal web browser, so you can feel free to check it out yourself at home, print out the maps, or whatever.
What it doesn’t have (as it will be part of the full program guide which will hopefully be online soon) is a better layout of the Collectors Forum. Fortunately, exhibitors have been mailed a packet which contains a layout (pictured above) which can help attendees get an idea of where things are. Unfortunately the scan is a bit low-res so some exhibitors are illegible, but it’s pretty clear where Microsoft will be demonstrating XBox Kinect Disneyland Adventures. This map, by the way, came courtesy of exhibitor and comic artist James Silvani, who we mentioned in a previous update.
Speaking of James, now’s a good time to remind you that he is still accepting pre-orders for commissioned art featuring your favorite Disney, Disney/Pixar and Marvel characters. Unfortunately Amy Mebberson, who will be joining James along with Allen Gladfelter, has been fully booked with her pre-orders, but now is the time to hit James up. I speak from Con experience when I tell you that you can either pay now and pick up later, or wait in indefinite lines for your opportunity to request a drawing because these guys are extremely talented and once their work is visible to the public, the demand will grow substantially. So be sure to visit James’ site at SilvaniArt.com for more information on how to order a commissioned piece as well as check out some samples of his work.
Speaking of art for sale, the bad news is that while Mr. Billy Dee Williams will still be attending, his D23 Expo exclusive art will not be. It was previously announced that Mr. Williams had created a jazz-inspired piece featuring the Fab 5 that would be available in limited quantities at the Expo for $99.50 (or thereabouts). No word on what will the availaibility of the piece will eventually be.
On semi-related tangent, Coolwaters Productions, which is bringing Billy Dee Williams and actors from the TRON and Pirates of the Caribbean films amongst others has announced that TRON Legacy star Anis Cheurfa will be unable to attend the event and that any pre-orders for his autograph have been canceled and refunded.
But on a happier note, Coolwaters has also made available online all of the photos (including D23 Member exclusives) that will be available for purchase at the event (and pre-order, for which you will not need to attend) here. In addition, Coolwaters has posted information about separate photo-ops with the celebrities in pre-set configurations. For example, here is your opportunity to have your group (1-4 people) take a photo with both Bruce Boxleitner and Cindy Morgan from TRON. For more information, see this page (at this time, the photo op schedule has yet to be determined).
If you’re looking to find even more amazing celebrities to meet, mostly of the Disney kind, the Disneyana booth has an impressive array of talent from the past several decades who will be appearing. You can check out their full schedule here.
Disney Fine Artist and 2009′s official artist, Tim Rogerson, has made his appearance schedule known on his blog.
If you’re a Disney trading pin collector, you’ll want to check out this list of all the pins being released at the Expo including a limited edition set of just 10 pieces that sells for $700. If you’re a Vinylmation collector, you probably know about them all already, but Vinylmation.com has a list of the pieces being released at Disney D23 Expo on their events page. This should be common knowledge by now as well, but Disney Store has announced that they are no longer releasing just 500 of their 25th Anniversary 3″ figures at the Expo, but will instead be making all 2,500 pieces available.
Lastly, to save yourself some time, today is the last day to put in pre-orders for Mattel’s MattyCollector.com D23 Expo exclusives, both of which are still available. Save yourself the time now and be able to pick up your merchandise any time during the event without the fear of them selling out. You can do so here.
Now that we’ve talked about some mementos you get to pay for (and remember, we have already previewed Disney Store and Robert Olszewski items amongst others), let’s talk about freebies. There should be plenty to go around at the Disney D23 Expo. Earlier this week, a press release went out stating that Disney Publishing Worldwide would be offering exclusive Mary Blair prints at their booth. Also joining in is Disney Movie Rewards which is giving away a free The Lion King lithograph at their booth, while supplies last, as announced in their monthly newsletter to members.
But back on the topic of paying for stuff, according to DisneyStore.com, it looks like those seeking the D23 Exclusive Steamboat Willie and Lotso POP! Vinyls by Funko will have to wait until Sunday morning for their release. It also looks like the new Kidada for Disney Store collection featuring Tinker Bell, Jasmine, Ariel and Alice will also be available for purchase then.
Retro 51, a Disney licensee and a manufacturer of some spectacular pens (I am pleased to personally own a couple of them), has announced an Ugly Pen contest in which attendees can trade in their ‘ugly pen’ for a daily chance to win a new Retro 51 pen. There’s even a grand prize which includes a pen inspired by “it’s a small world.” Details can be found here.
Around the web, we have some special updates we’d love to point out if you haven’t found them already. First is an amazing guide to the eats in and around the Disney D23 Expo by the Disney Food Blog. Also, Jim Hill Media recently posted an eleventh hour interview with D23 head Steven Clark who offers up some additional info on the items being displayed at the Expo.
When the Disney D23 Expo comes to the Anaheim Convention Center from August 19-21, it will include a substantial presence by Disney Store, which is celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2012 and it’s inviting all the D23 Expo attendees to join in the celebration a bit early with the opportunity to purchase items exclusively available at the Expo.
Below is a gallery of item as well as pricing and edition sizes (usually some multiple of 25) which is sure to offer something for everyone, as long as they love the color silver, and don’t mind shelling out a few bucks (anywhere from $19.95 – $2,000.00).
There are a couple of things worth noting. Although Disney Store will be releasing its set of ten Disney Princess Designer Dolls (see here for more information), the only doll available for direct purchase at the D23 Expo is the 25th Anniversary Cinderella Designer Doll, which would technically be doll number eleven. You can see the box below, which will hint at the boxes for the actual collection. It appears that the special edition Cinderella will be in a silver dress as opposed to the blue dress.
Also causing some confusion is the Disney Store 25th Anniversary 3″ Vinylmation and pin set which lists an edition size of 2,500 on the pin card but has been announced as an edition size of 500. To clarify,
the edition size is in fact 2,500 but only 500 will be available for purchase at the Disney D23 Expo. The remaining stock will be sold online at DisneyStore.com at a future date, but only to qualified D23 members. All 2,500 pieces will be available for purchase at the Expo.
Disney Store has informed us that it will be honoring its usual discounts (e.g., Cast Member, Disney Visa) but the discounts won’t be applicable to certain items.
Disney Publishing Worldwide (DPW) invites families and fans to experience The Wonderful Words of Disney. Guests have the opportunity to attend exclusive sessions with renowned children’s authors, listen to timeless stories read live, and explore the ultimate Disney fan’s dream library at the ultimate Disney fan event, D23 Expo, taking place at Anaheim Convention Center from August 19–21, 2011.
Guests will be able to immerse themselves in The Wonderful Words of Disney (booth #702), where classic tales and new adventures come to life. With beanbag chairs, great reads, and kiosks featuring loaded tablets and smartphones, fans can peruse Disney’s vast library of books featuring beloved characters from Mickey Mouse to Buzz Lightyear—and series including Percy Jackson & the Olympians and The Kingdom Keepers. Disney Publishing Worldwide’s latest books and magazines—including the brand-new It’s a Small World publishing program, Phineas and Ferb magazines, the Captain America special interest publication, learning products including School Skills workbooks, and the recently launched Cars 2 Read and Race app—will be on hand for guests to read and enjoy.
On Friday, August 19, in the Disney Channel booth, fans of all ages are invited to join Pulitzer Prize-winning humor columnist Dave Barry and noted New York Times best-selling author Ridley Pearson, co-authors of the Peter and the Starcatchers series of prequels to Peter Pan, along with beloved Jake and the Never Land Pirates characters Jake, Captain Hook, and Mr. Smee, for a celebration of the power of imagination and the magic of Disney storytelling. This event also includes an appearance by actor David Arquette (the voice of Skully in the hit Disney Junior series Jake and the Never Land Pirates) and a special announcement from The Walt Disney Company Corporate Citizenship team.
In addition, storytellers will read Disney favorites on Saturday and Sunday at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. in the Disney Publishing booth, including the Winnie the Pooh and Cars 2 Read-Along digital books, The Ballad of Nessie by Kieran Lachlan, and The Little Golden Book Tangled.
Exclusive giveaways include a high-quality print in honor of the late Disney artist Mary Blair, a chance to win two parks passes through the Disney English referral program, and a special card to download a “Build-a-Roller-coaster” app.
Additional highlights of DPW’s lineup at D23 Expo 2011 include:
- Don Hahn Reveals “Why We Create” (August 19, 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.) – In a fascinating discussion, filmmaker, Academy Award-nominated producer, and author Don Hahn reveals insights into the creative process using classic Disney images, world-renowned art, advertisements, and music to share his inspirations and knowledge.
- Behind the Page with Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson (August 20, 9:15 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.) – These highly entertaining best-selling authors will discuss the blockbuster series Peter & The Starcatchers, with focus on the new book, The Bridge to Never Land.
- Ridley Pearson Presents Kingdom Keepers (August 19, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.) – In this presentation, Ridley will discuss the series and reveal his behind-the-scenes experiences at the Disney Parks while researching the New York Times best-selling books.
- It’s a Small World Story Time and Pen Pal Program (August 19, 11:30 a.m. & 2:30 p.m.) – Listen to a live reading from the It’s a Small World picture book and the Hello World! book, followed by a very special opportunity to become pen pals with a Disney English student based in China.
Tickets to the D23 Expo are available at http://www.D23Expo.com. Admission includes access to all experiences and entertainment at the D23 Expo, including the Disney Legends Ceremony, and can be purchased for single days or for the full three days of festivities. Admission is $47 for a one-day adult ticket and $37 for children 3–12. Three-day passes are $136 for adults and $106 for children. Members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club will receive a discount for up to four admissions, as well as early entry to each day of the D23 Expo for themselves and their guests.
The film stars Jennifer Garner and Joel Edgerton as a childless couple who want nothing more than to be able to star their own family, but can only dream about what their child would be like. When young Timothy (CJ Adams) shows up on their doorstep one stormy night, Cindy and Jim — and their small town of Stanleyville—learn that sometimes the unexpected can bring some of life’s greatest gifts.
The film was written and directed by Peter Hedges and also stars Ron Livingston, Dianne Wiest, Odeya Rush, Rosemarie DeWitt, Lin-Manuel Miranda, M. Emmet Walsh, Lois Smith and Common. It was produced by Ahmet Zappa, Scott Sanders and Jim Whitaker.
Walt Disney Studios has also recently announced that Jennifer Garner will be making an appearance during its Arena presentation at the Disney D23 Expo, a week from Saturday. The official mini-site is also now life at http://disney.com/oddlife
Exclusively at Disney’s D23 Expo August 19-21 at the Anaheim Convention Center, Disney film fans will go behind the scenes to explore the exciting roster of projects on the horizon at The Walt Disney Studios, with a variety of panel discussions, sneak peeks, and exhibits.
On Saturday, August 20, Rich Ross, chairman, The Walt Disney Studios; Sean Bailey, president, Production, The Walt Disney Studios; John Lasseter, chief creative officer, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios; and Kevin Feige, producer and president, Marvel Studios, will present a not-to-be-missed look at The Walt Disney Studios’ upcoming film slate, which includes Disney’s The Muppets, John Carter , Disney-Pixar’s Brave, Marvel’s The Avengers, Tim Burton’s Frankenweenie, Oz: The Great and Powerful, and more.
With projects from Disney, Pixar Animation Studios, and Marvel Studios, this special presentation will feature never-before-seen footage and all-star appearances by Jason Segel, Kermit, and Miss Piggy (Disney’s The Muppets), Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, and Willem Dafoe ( John Carter ), Kelly Macdonald and Kevin McKidd (Brave), Jennifer Garner (The Odd Life of Timothy Green ), Jack McBrayer and Sarah Silverman (Wreck-It Ralph), cast members from Marvel’s The Avengers, and other surprise guests.
In celebration of 25 years of moviemaking magic, five sessions will be devoted to the artistry and technical wizardry of Pixar:
- A Conversation with the Pixar Creative Team – Enjoy a rare opportunity to spend some time with the key figures responsible for Pixar’s unprecedented success, including John Lasseter (chief creative officer, Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios), Jim Morris (general manager, Pixar Animation Studios), Pete Docter (director, Monsters, Inc., Up), Andrew Stanton (director, Finding Nemo, WALL-E), Bob Peterson (co-director, Up), Lee Unkrich (director, Toy Story 3), Mark Andrews (director, Brave), and Dan Scanlon (director, Monsters University).
- The Characters of Monsters University – Director Dan Scanlon and Production Designer Ricky Nierva discuss how they combine hair, horns, and a lot of heart to bring the wonderful Monsters University characters to life.
- Michael Giacchino’s Music of Pixar – In this musical presentation, award-winning composer Michael Giacchino explores his early influences through the creation of modern-day classic scores from Ratatouille, Up and Cars 2.
- The Art of Brave – Production Designer Steve Pilcher and Shading Art Director Tia Kratter show how they and their team put paint to canvas and fingers to computer keys to create the stunning visuals of Scotland for Disney•Pixar’s upcoming film Brave.
- Pixar Shorts – This retrospective screening of the animation studio’s legendary short films will be followed by a panel discussion with several of the filmmakers, including Ralph Eggleston (director, For the Birds), Andy Jimenez (director, One Man Band ), Angus MacLane (director, BURN-E), Pete Sohn (director, Partly Cloudy), Teddy Newton (director, Day & Night), and Enrico Casarosa (director, La Luna).
Expo attendees will also have access to advance screenings of an all-new 3D version of The Lion King, presented by RealD 3D, coming to theaters and homes this fall, and the upcoming ABC holiday special Prep & Landing: Naughty vs. Nice from Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Out on the Expo floor, fans can explore the world of The Walt Disney Studios at their leisure with comprehensive exhibits, including:
- Walt Disney Studios Animation Pavilion – Experience the art, technology, culture, and legacy of Walt Disney Animation Studios with filmmaker demonstrations, drawing classes, book signings, meet-and-greets, and art exhibits.
- Walt Disney Studios In-Home Entertainment Pavilion – Dive into cutting-edge home entertainment technology and learn what the future holds for Disney movie fans, with sneak peeks of upcoming films in breathtaking high-definition Blu-ray 3D™ and more.
- Inside Tides: Pirates of the Caribbean Film Prop Collection – Get an up-close look at an exclusive collection of detailed set pieces, props, and costumes from the billion-dollar blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.
Tickets to D23 Expo 2011 are available at http://www.D23Expo.com. Admission includes access to all experiences and entertainment at the D23 Expo and can be purchased for single days or for three full days of festivities. Admission is $42 for a one-day adult ticket and $32 for children 3-12. Three-day passes are $121 for adults and $91 for children. Members of D23: The Official Community for Disney Fans will receive a discount on admission as well as early entry to each day of the D23 Expo for themselves and their guests. More details about D23 Expo entertainment, events and special guests will be announced in the coming weeks. Fans can keep up with all the news by visiting www.D23Expo.com, as well as by following “Disney D23″ on Twitter and Facebook.
The spotlight will shine on Disney Store’s spectacular product lines at the D23 Expo, held at the Anaheim Convention Center in Calif. from August 19-21. Disney Store will treat fans to a sneak peek of its fall and holiday 2011 products, as well as offer them a chance to meet and hear from the artists and designers who created them.
Disney Store guests will also get a first look at this year’s hottest Halloween costumes, join in Disney Store’s 25th Anniversary kick-off celebration and have the first look at the Disney Princess Designer Doll Collection–expected to be one of the most wanted items this holiday season. Daily at the convention, guests will enjoy Disney Store artist signings and special guest appearances, as well as witness events such as a Halloween costume parade and hear the latest news on what’s next for Disney Store.
Guests can take home the Disney Store magic when they purchase exclusive merchandise in the 1,500 square foot pop-up store housed in Disney Consumer Product’s Disney Living Pavilion. Featured products include items created especially for the D23 Expo, limited edition 25th Anniversary items, Vinylmation, and the always unique and whimsical Kidada for Disney Store Collection. Visitors will not want to miss the daily opening ceremony, where a special attendee will be chosen to “unlock imagination” each day at 9 a.m.
In addition, these other D23 Disney Store celebrations and events are not to be missed:
- 25th Anniversary Collection and Celebration Kick off: D23 guests will help Disney Store kick-off its celebration of 25 magical years. Since the opening of the first store in Glendale, California on March 28, 1987, Disney Store has become a global retail phenomenon with more than 350 stores in eight countries and foot traffic of more than 200 million guests per year worldwide.
On Friday, Aug. 19 at 9 a.m., Disney Store president Jim Fielding will kick off the celebration with remarks prior to opening the store on the first day of D23. The first 25 guests in line will receive a special limited edition 25th anniversary pin.
Disney Store artist Jim Salvati will sign exclusive 25th anniversary commemorative art. The pop-up store will offer the first 25th anniversary products ever.
- Disney Princess Designer Doll Collection: At D23, Disney Store will debut ten spectacular designer dolls just in time for the holidays. Each classic doll dressed in a glamorous runway inspired gown comes in its own special collector case with a sleeve that showcases the beautiful sketch art created for each one. A limited number of complete sets will be available for pre-purchase at the D23 event, in addition to a special limited edition 25th Anniversary silver Cinderella. As part of the worldwide debut at D23, the dolls will be given to the honorees at the Legends of Disney Awards ceremony on Friday, Aug. 19, where the extraordinary actresses whose voices brought to life many modern-day Disney Princesses including Jodi Benson (Ariel from The Little Mermaid), Paige O’Hara (Belle from Beauty and the Beast), Lea Salonga (singing voices of Jasmine from Aladdin and Mulan from Mulan), Linda Larkin (speaking voice of Jasmine from Aladdin), and Anika Noni Rose (Princess Tiana from The Princess and the Frog) will be named and honored.
Starting Aug. 22, 2011, one new Disney Princess Designer Doll will arrive in stores each week for 10 weeks in a random order not to be revealed to guests until each Monday when they go on sale. An assortment of home products (stationery and mugs) as well as special trend items (t-shirts, cosmetics, and accessories) inspired by the beauty of the new dolls will also be available at D23. D23 guests will be the first to see these beautiful dolls.
- Halloween Costume Parade: The Halloween Costume Parade held Saturday, Aug. 20 at 1 p.m. will unveil the hottest costumes for 2011, including a beautiful limited edition Rapunzel costume (only 2,000 will be available this fall). Visitors can watch kids modeling the best Disney Store costumes on the Disney Living Pavilion Center Stage. Five lucky guests will win the opportunity to receive a complimentary costume, courtesy of Disney Store.
- Vinylmation Artists Signing: On Sunday, Aug. 21 at 10 a.m., Vinylmation artists will sign the new Lion King inspired Vinylmation collection. Vinylmation toys are the latest pop culture phenomenon and are treasured by collectors of all ages.
- New Kidada for Disney Store Wish-a-Littles Line: On Sunday, Aug. 21 at 1 p.m. in the Disney Living Pavilion Center Stage, celebrity jewelry designer Kidada Jones will make a special appearance to welcome her newest friends to her exclusive line of jewelry and accessories. Wish-a-Littles are Kidada’s design twist on Disney characters – each figure opens to reveal a secret jewelry charm. The new fall Wish-a-Littles include Alice, Ariel, Jasmine and Tinker Bell. Guests can make their D23 trip extra special and get their photo taken with Kidada following the reveal.
In addition to all the events and guest appearances, fans can chat with Disney Store president Jim Fielding and other surprise guests via Disney Store’s Twitter, and get a behind-the-scenes look at the D23 experience by checking Disney Store’s blog, The Buzz, at http://blog.disneystore.com
Disney Store at D23 can be found in the Disney Living Pavilion. Check the D23 Expo web site for event schedule details and locations.
To find a local Disney Store, guests can visit www.DisneyStore.com/storelocator or call (866) 902-2798. Guests can also sign up for email alerts at www.DisneyStore.com/Updates, become a fan on Facebook www.facebook.com/DisneyStore or follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/DisneyStore to stay connected to your favorite destination.
It’s about that time. Not just time for Disney D23 Expo, but for Disney Parks to unveil what its 2012 campaign will be, which traditionally takes place mid-September. This year, however, the notice may come earlier as the spotlight is trained on both Disney Parks and Disney Corporate Responsibility, both of which may play a part in revealing that the new promotion for next year may just be may be a redo of 2010.
In 2010, Disney Parks teamed up with the HandsOn Network to allow guests to trade volunteering for a community project in for a one day admission to the Disney Parks theme park. The program proved to be so popular, it had to close just a few months after starting due to the overwhelming response reaching its capacity.
We have learned that Disney Parks is preparing to launch something titled ‘One More Disney Day’ and it may be tied to bringing the promotion back next year. A special announcement is scheduled at the Disney Corporate Citizenship Pavilion at the Disney D23 Expo on Friday, August 19 featuring an appearance by authors Ridley Pearson and Dave Barry and actor David Arquette. Specific details are unknown at this time, but it may relate to the ‘Disney Day’ volunteer program.
As a follow-up to last year’s successful Dance Star Mickey, the roadies over at Fisher-Price are working hard to bring Rock Star Mickey to the open road this holiday season for an action-packed, music-filled tour with a stop in your very own home (* purchase required).
We first encountered the rock legend that is Rock Star Mickey at the 2011 New York International Toy Fair where he stole the stage with his rendition of two songs, a rock star tutorial, and — of course — the mouska-split where he performs a full-on split while playing the guitar with his nose. That’s talent, folks.
He will be available to own on September 6 (now available for pre-order on Amazon.com), but he will be making his first public debut alongside American Idol top-tenner and Broadway Star Constantine Maroulis at the Disney D23 Expo in Anaheim, California. The special performance is set to take place at the Disney Living Pavilion Stage on Friday, August 19 at 1 pm and we plan on being there to bringing you full coverage. Constantine has also filmed a national commercial for what will certainly be one of the hottest toys this holiday season.
Below is some video footage we took of Rock Star Mickey in action. To our knowledge, this is one of the longest and most complete clips of Rock Star Mickey, featuring both musical numbers as well as the Rock Star tutorial.