The Disneyland Resort has announced it will be hosting a 25th Anniversary screening and panel for Who Framed Roger Rabbit for its Annual Passholders at the AMC Theatre located in its Downtown Disney district on Tuesday, June 18 at 8:00 pm PT.
The panel will be moderated by associate producer Don Hahn and is expected to include Director of Special Projects at Walt Disney Feature Animation, Dave Bossert, Visual Effects Animator on Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Charles Fleischer, the voice of Roger Rabbit.
Registration and wristband distribution for the event will begin at 12:00 noon on the day of the event at the AMC 12 Theaters in Downtown Disney District at Disneyland Resort. All participating Guests (ages 3 and older) must be valid Annual Passholders on the day of the event. Guests under the age of 3 do not need an Annual Pass, but will need a wristband to attend the event.
For more information, visit the official event page.
Car Masters Weekend, now in its third year, is the perfect way to celebrate Father’s Day as Downtown Disney West Side hosts a classic car show with a modern twist June 15-16, 2013. Featuring all things Cars, the event also showcases meet and greets with Disney/Pixar Cars and Cars 2 characters, a sock hop at Splitsville, select discounts on food and shopping, and more exciting entertainment for the whole family.
In a race for ‘Best in Show’ at Sunday’s awards ceremony, car enthusiasts from the local Muscle Car Network of Central Florida will display more than 150 classic, muscle and exotic cars for families to view and vote on their favorites. Guests also can take pictures with favorite Disney/Pixar Cars and Cars 2 characters Lightning McQueen, Mater and Finn McMissile.
Revving up the fun, legendary automotive designer Chip Foose and Disney/Pixar Cars filmmaker Jay Ward will host celebrity chat shows on the Car Masters Stage throughout the weekend. Foose, who contributed to the design of Ramone in the Disney/Pixar Cars film, also will be on-hand for autograph sessions and will have Chip Foose design items available for purchase at the event.
New this year, Splitsville – the luxury bowling emporium — will take guests for a spin on the dance floor when it hosts the first Car Masters Weekend Sock Hop. This rockin’ and rollin’ special event, taking place Saturday from 6-9 p.m., features live entertainment, a fun bowling competition, a buffet of Splitsville delights, a limited bar, raffle prizes and special appearances by Foose and Ward. A limited number of Sock Hop tickets will be available beginning June 5 at DisneyCarEvent.com for $69 per person.
Also making Car Masters Weekend debuts are a special street performance by artists with La Nouba by Cirque du Soleil, a chance for guests to play the upcoming Disney Infinity video game and new interactive activities based on future Disney film releases Monsters University, The Lone Ranger and Planes.
Fan-favorite Car Masters elements returning this year include the chance to test drive remote control Cars 2 RideMakerz models; vehicles on display from the Exotic Driving Experience at Walt Disney World Speedway; live performances by the Car Masters Singers and DJ’s spinning classic-car tunes from the ’50?s and ’60?s. Guests also can idle over to the Chevrolet Showcase, pose for photographs inside the newest Chevrolet models and discover the latest in design and automotive technology. In addition, fans can purchase tickets for an all-day Cars and Cars 2 movie marathon at AMC Downtown Disney 24.
The event will take place at Downtown Disney West Side from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day. For more information, visit DisneyCarEvent.com.
Walt Disney World Resort today announced the multi-year transformation of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs, a unique destination that will treat guests to significantly more shopping, dining and entertainment amid beautiful open-air promenades, meandering springs and waterfront charm.
Disney Springs will feature an eclectic and contemporary mix from Disney and other noteworthy brands. From boutique shops to unique flagship anchor stores, guests will be able to explore a variety of shopping, dining and entertainment experiences and discover options unlike any other currently available in Central Florida.
“Disney Springs will be a timeless, vibrant place where Walt Disney World guests and local residents can relax, shop, dine and be entertained in an imaginative setting where they’ll instantly feel at home,” said Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “Featuring distinctive brands, world-class restaurants and unforgettable entertainment, Disney Springs will be brought to life with the same focus on storytelling and attention to detail that goes into our theme parks, resorts and cruise ships, resulting in a welcoming space that only Disney could create.”
Disney Springs will double the number of shops, restaurants and other venues for guests to explore, resulting in more than 150 establishments. In addition, Staggs noted, Central Florida stands to benefit from the expansion with more jobs, tax revenues and business opportunities.
Drawing inspiration from Florida’s waterfront towns and natural beauty, Disney Springs will include four outdoor neighborhoods interconnected by a flowing spring and vibrant lakefront. In addition to a new gateway with a signature water tower and grand entry, the destination will feature:
The Town Center, which offers a sophisticated mix of shopping and dining along with a promenade where guests can relax, refresh and reconnect.
A colorful and thriving commercial district called The Landing with inspired dining and beautiful waterfront views.
The family-friendly Marketplace that will continue to delight guests of all ages by combining new experiences, such as an over-the-water pedestrian causeway, along with classic Disney favorites, including an expanded World of Disney store.
A West Side that provides an exuberant atmosphere with lively entertainment, along with a series of new elevated spaces that provide both shade and an overlook to the activity below.
Collectively, these efforts will not only have an impact within Walt Disney World, but will also have an economic ripple effect on Central Florida. The project will create an estimated 1,200 construction jobs and nearly 4,000 operational roles.
Disney will share more details on specific experiences coming to Disney Springs in the future. Construction is slated to begin next month with new areas opening in phases. Disney Springs is expected to be complete in 2016.
Located in the West Side of the Downtown Disney District at the Walt Disney World Resort, Aerophile’s ‘Characters in Flight‘ balloon takes guests hundreds of feet into the air via a tethered helium-filled balloon, offering a panoramic view of the parks and its surrounding areas.
For a limited time, Groupon is offering future Walt Disney World guests the opportunity to experience the balloon ride at a savings of up to 44%. Guests can purchase a ride for one person for just $11 (regular price $18 per adult) or two people for $20 (regular price $36 for two adults). In addition, guests may purchase up to 10 Groupons, but only 1 may be used per visit. The Groupon will expire on May 31, 2013.
For more information and to purchase this opportunity, visit the official Groupon deal page.
The Disneyland Resort located in Anaheim, California has released the following list of ‘Black Friday’ offers for some of its shops located in the Downtown Disney District. All of the offers are available just for November 23, 2012, with many having further time restrictions:
- The Cupcake Store Kiosk – Purchase 2 cupcakes and get 1/2 off regular 16 ounce cup of coffee. Valid only on regular cupcakes and regular 16 ounce house coffee. Limit one per person. From 9:00 am – 1:00 pm only.
- RIDEMAKERZ – Build one RIDE and build a second RIDE for FREE. Free RIDE includes freewheel street chassis, stock wheelz,and treadz. Additional accessories not included. Body of equal or lesser value.
Not valid with any other offer. Offer not valid online. Offer good while supplies last. Limit one per person.
- Sanuk – Disneyland Annual Passholders receive 25% discount on all purchases, from 8:00 am to 12:00 noon only.
- Something Silver – Spend $100.00 and receive a $20.00 voucher to be redeemed at any Something Silver location. Purchase total must be $100.00 before tax to qualify for $20 voucher. Voucher expires 30 days after date of issue.
- Sunglass Icon – Receive 70% off 2 Vogue styles and 1 Arnette style (regular price $99.95).
In honor of the Disney 3D Blu-ray release of Secret of the Wings starring Tinker Bell and the rest of her Pixie Hollow friends, the Disneyland Resort has decided to bring some winter magic of its own to Southern California and open a temporary outdoor skating rink in the heart of its Downtown Disney District.
Last night, a grand opening ceremony was held in which Disneyland Ambassador Rene Toricco played emcee and welcomed everyone to the event. Also speaking at the event were Vice President of Resorts and Downtown Disney Daniel Delcourt and Downtown Disney’s General Manager Janet Knox and filmmakers Peggy Holmes and Michael Wigert — along with a special appearance by Tinker Bell and newly reunited twin Periwinkle, of course.
The Secret of the Wings skating rink is located between the ESPN Zone and AMC 12 movie theater in Anaheim’s Downtown Disney District and will be open every day through January 12, 2013 from 11 am to 11 pm on Friday and Saturday and 10 pm all other days. Plus every half hour, a magical moment happens and guests will hear the film’s anthem, ‘The Great Divide’ as performed by Hollywood Records recording artists The McClain Sisters set to a synchronized light show.
Ice skating sessions are $15 per hour per person with skate rentals (double-blade also available in children’s sizes) available for an additional $3 while toddlers are $12 per hour including rentals. Mandatory helmets and pads are provided at no additional charge.
And there’s more seasonal magic to come. Beginning November 12, a unique holiday village consisting of four chalets will sprout up around the rink featuring seasonal eats and treats. A forest of ‘snow’-covered pine trees, twinkling holiday lights and cheerful garlands will create an enchanting holiday atmosphere where guests can shop, ‘chill out’ and enjoy activities for the whole family, including ‘Santimals’ (an interactive children’s art experience) and fun winter-themed photos.
Below are some additional photos of the Secret of the Wings skating rink.
All video and photos © copyright Kelly Noble for Stitch Kingdom. All rights reserved.
In celebration of Disney’s new stop-motion animated movie Frankenweenie, directed by acclaimed filmmaker Tim Burton and opening October 5 in 3D, Walt Disney World Resort is hosting a variety of engaging experiences inspired by the new movie, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Alice in Wonderland. The fun takes place at Downtown Disney West Side Sept. 28 – 30, 2012.
Here’s a look at what’s in store for guests:
Special 3D screenings of The Nightmare Before Christmas and Alice in Wonderland, featuring a 3D extended preview of Frankenweenie, which debuts Oct. 5. Tickets may be purchased for $6. The fun takes place at AMC Downtown Disney 24. Show times:
- The Nightmare Before Christmas — 4:15 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Alice in Wonderland — 6:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
New Holland Pet Cemetery picture spot presented by HGTV will place guests in one of the key locations of Frankenweenie among tombstones of beloved turtles, rabbits, cats and of course, dogs. Located between AMC Downtown Disney 24 and Something Silver boutique, available 6-11 p.m.
The first-ever meet and greet with Jack and Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas at Walt Disney World Resort. Located between AMC Downtown Disney 24 and Harley Davidson, available 6-11 p.m.
Special merchandise inspired by Frankenweenie and The Nightmare Before Christmas will be available for purchase at D-Street boutique and mobile carts throughout Downtown Disney West Side. Special treats, such as Franken Fusion Lemonade and Frankenweenie hotdogs will be available near the New Holland Pet Cemetery picture spot.
In honor of the release of ‘Shake It Up: Live 2 Dance’ soundtrack, featuring music from the hit Disney Channel show, ‘Shake It Up,’ stars Bella Thorne and Zendaya will be offering the opportunity for fans to attend a signing being held at Studio Disney 365 in the Downtown Disney District of the Disneyland Resort on March 24.
The event will being at noon at which point Bella and Zendaya will participate in a Q&A session moderated by Radio Disney’s own Jake Whetter. The signing portion will take place beginning at 1 pm.
To attend the signing, guests must first purchase either a ‘Shake It Up: Live 2 Dance’ CD or ‘Shake it Up’ tee shirt at Studio Disney 365 beginning at 8 am that day. Each guest may purchase up to two CDs, but will receive a maximum of one voucher to return for the signing, at which point two purchased items can be signed (no personal items from home will be allowed). Only 200 vouchers will be distributed on a first buy, first served basis.
On March 17 and March 18, the Disneyland Resort and ABC Family unite to create a street fair to ‘embrace the social, technological and artistic accomplishments of world-renowned Deaf talent and local community organizations.’
Among the talent scheduled to appear are mixed martial artist Matt Hamill, Marlee Matlin and Sean Berdy from ABC Family’s ‘Switched at Birth,’ Sesame Street’s Linda Bove, artist Mary Rappazzo and other deaf entertainers as well as Disney cast members.
Additional details for the event are as follows:
- Saturday 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Sunday 1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 17
11:30 a.m. to midnight (schedule pending)
- Film screenings of See What I’m Saying, a multi-award winning documentary, and The Hammer, a biopic based on the life of triple NCAA champ and professional mixed martial artist Matt Hamill. Purchase discounted tickets at the AMC Theater box office.
For periods of time between 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Artist Mary Rappazzo will be autographing a special Mickey ASL (American Sign Language) poster.
1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- 2 Q & A sessions, meet-and-greets and autograph signings with the cast from ABC Family’s groundbreaking drama Switched at Birth
- Screening at the AMC Theater of 2 episodes of Switched at Birth — plus, an exclusive sneak preview of the spring finale episode. Find out how to get your ticket to this limited event!
Sunday, March 18
11:30 a.m. to midnight (schedule pending)
- Film screenings at the AMC Theater of See What I’m Saying, a multi-award winning documentary, and The Hammer, a biopic based on the life of triple NCAA champ and pro wrestler Matt Hamill. Purchase discounted tickets at the AMC Theater box office.
- Q & A session on the Westside Stage with Matt Hamill, the filmmakers and 2 stars of The Hammer
After The Hammer Q & A
- Matt Hamill will be at the ESPN Zone to sign autographs and challenge fans to games in the Game Zone.
- Marlee Matlin (Melody) and Sean Berdy (Emmett) from ABC Family’s Switched at Birth will discuss their characters’ relationship during a Q & A session.
After the Switched at Birth Q & A
- Meet-and-greet with Marlee Matlin and Sean Berdy
For periods of time between 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Artist Mary Rappazzo will be autographing a special Mickey ASL poster.
- Book signing with critically acclaimed and award-winning actress, mother, activist, role model and author, Marlee Matlin
- Check here for specific times and locations.
- All times are approximate. Times and locations are subject to change.
- During event weekend, look for Event Schedules, available at the Event Information area.
- All films and the sneak finale will be Open Captioned. Performances on the main stage will be captioned live on a large LED screen. Interpreting services available for entertainment, shopping, and dining experiences in the event area.
- Entire cast of ABC Family’s TV series Switched at Birth
- Linda Bove, whose acting credits include Linda the Librarian from TV’s Sesame Street, and Sarah, the lead character, in the Broadway production of Children of a Lesser God
- Mary Rappazzo, visual artist and native of Los Angeles
- Deaf entertainers and Disney Cast Members
- ABC Family Giveaways
- One free game ticket to ESPN Zone for each Guest who purchases a movie ticket to The Hammer
- Complimentary ASL “I Love You” airbrush tattoos at Kaman’s Art Shoppe
- Interactive drumming performances and drumming workshops — for all Guests — conducted by the internationally acclaimed, multicultural company Drum Café
- Drama workshops for children and the whole family from the Tony Award-winning Deaf West Theater
- “Sign a Disney Song” workshops
- Deaf West Theater will perform musical numbers from Big River and Pippin’, and will give a sneak preview of a scene from their new production of Cyrano
- Nighttime concerts by popular Deaf performers, including singer-signer TL Forsberg, rock band Beethoven’s Nightmare, and comic CJ Jones
- Signed song performances by Sean Berdy (ABC Family’s Switched at Birth)
- ASL storytelling
Special Event Merchandise for Purchase
- Build-a-Bear’s special “I Love You” in ASL t-shirts and plush hearing aids
- Specially created Disney merchandise featuring American Sign Language