The Walt Disney Family Museum presents ‘Animate Your Night’ — a new Museum-wide monthly after-hours party. Experience the galleries in a whole new light and illuminate your imagination with music, performance, film screenings, and hands-on art activities. Each evening has a unique theme relating to the Museum’s exhibitions and programs. With complimentary bites, a cash bar featuring a thematic signature cocktail, and much, much more.
On Friday, July 27 from 7 to 10pm, ‘Animate Your Night: Ready, Steady, GO!’ celebrates the opening ceremonies of the 2012 Olympic Games in London. Join us for an evening of animation, innovation, and imagination.
- Immerse yourself in an animated environment using green screen technology
- Dance amongst Walt’s celebrated awards while DJ Syl the Thryl spins British beats all night long
- Munch on pub grub and treat yourself to our signature cocktail — The Olympian
- Enjoy Disney Olympic classics on the big screen
- Look closer at an Olympic Torch — join us for a short gallery talk about the Museum’s 1960 Olympic
- Torch from the Squaw Valley Olympic Games
Tickets for Animate Your Night: $10 general; $5 Museum members.
Upcoming Animate Your Night Events
Friday, August 24, 7–10pm – Hippos, Demons, and Mice…oh Kley!
Celebrate the dark side of Disney with Heinrich Kley, Walt’s favorite European illustrator.
Friday, September 28, 7–10pm – Best in Show!
Join us as we unleash Disney dog films such as Lady and the Tramp, The Shaggy Dog and Greyfriars Bobby and come dance to the live band Big Dog Trouble.
Friday, October 26, 7–10pm – Halloweentown!
Don your best Disney-themed costume and join us for Halloweentown in celebration of the exhibition Between Frames: The Magic Behind Stop-Motion Animation. We’ll be screening Nightmare Before Christmas in our theater!
Friday, November 30, 7–10pm – Snow White Opening Celebration
Come celebrate the opening weeks of the Museum’s major exhibition ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: The Creation of a Classic.’ We’ll be serving Poison Appletinis!
Friday, December 21, 7–10pm – Snow White Old Hollywood Red Carpet Premiere
Animate Your Night in old Hollywood style with a special 1930s 75th anniversary premiere party for Snow White. Join us for a soiree of glitz and glamour.
Media sponsor for Animate Your Night: 7×7 magazine.
Disney Legend Dave Smith, founder of the Disney Archives and Chief Archivist Emeritus, will be making a special appearance at the Disneyland Resort on July 14, 2012 to sign his new book, Disney Trivia from the Vault.
Beginning with the July 1983 issue of Disney Channel Magazine, Dave Smith began answering Disney trivia questions from viewers of the Disney Channel. In the ensuing thirty years, his column has continued through multiple publications, including Disney Magazine, the on-line Disney Insider, and most recently the Disney D23 website. ‘Ask Dave’ questions have come from Disney enthusiasts the world over, and have covered topics ranging from Cinderella’s last name (Tremaine) to the number of triangles covering the surface of Epcot’s Spaceship Earth (11,324 facets comprising 954 triangles.)
Over 1,100 questions have been fielded by Dave Smith, the now-retired Chief Archivist of The Walt Disney Company, and this book is a compendium of the most interesting and revealing of those queries. The book is divided into chapters that each cover an aspect of Disney history, including Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney films, Disney television, and Disney characters. Many of the questions bring up interesting information that has not been published elsewhere, and readers will delight in discovering some of the secrets behind their favorite movies and theme parks. ‘Did the same actress provide the voice of Maleficent, as well as the voice of Madame Leota, the head in the crystal ball in The Haunted Mansion?’ ‘Who was the first athelete to say “I’m going to Disneyland!”?’ Only Dave knows the answers!
The event will take place from 9 am – 11 am PT at the Disneyana Shop on Main Street, U.S.A. in the Disneyland® park. Disney Trivia from the Vault will be available for $9.99, plus tax beginning at shop opening on the day of release. Park admission is not included and is required.
Disney Trivia from the Vault is also available for pre-order on Amazon.com with a release date of June 26, 2012.
Disney D23 has announced that it will be adding a brand new twist to its annual ‘Sip’n'Stroll’ event normally held during the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot at the Walt Disney World Resort.
Two levels are being offered for the event, ‘Super Scream’ (which is a two-day event, October 2 and October 3) for $320 and a single-day event on October 3, for $125 (note that admission is required for either package on October 3 as it takes place during regular park hours).
The ‘Super Scream’ package kicks off on October 2, at an after-hours costume party at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The event includes a tour of the Creative Costuming building, where guests will have a chance to see where some of Disney’s most detailed outfits are designed and constructed and a private dinner inside ‘The Great Movie Ride.’ This progressive dinner makes you the star of the show, as we wine and dine our way through the elaborate sets of this signature park attraction, stopping for drinks in the gangster’s den, dinner in the old west, and for dessert guests will head ‘over the rainbow.’
Wednesday’s event begins at 10 am with coffee and tea provided inside World ShowPlace, where guests will be treated to presentations highlighting this year’s Epcot International Food & Wine Festival and how Disney celebrates the ghoul-iest time of the year.
Following the panels, it’s time to party! A pairing party that is, as guests will be able to sample some of the succulent new dishes being served during the festival, paired with exquisite wines to accent the flavor. Additional details on panelists and food will be provided to guests as the event date draws nearer.
At 1 pm, it’s time to take the show on the road as guests will have the opportunity to stroll World Showcase and Future World at their leisure. The hospitality suite inside The American Adventure pavilion will be open during this time, exclusively for Sip & Scream guests to relax and cool down.
At 7 p.m. it’s time to Eat to the Beat, as attendees head to the America Gardens Theater for reserved seating to see Sugar Ray (‘Fly,’ ‘Someday’) perform in concert. Following the concert, guests will enjoy a delectable dessert party and private viewing of the nighttime spectacular IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth in France with special ‘Mickey Vision’ glasses. No D23 event would be complete without a few surprises and commemorative gifts as well.
Tickets will be available for purchase on June 27 at 1 pm ET. For more information and to purchase tickets when available, see the event page.
Disney Junior is celebrating summer with fun, interactive events themed around the hit series “Jake and the Never Land Pirates;” May 2012′s #1 cable TV series among kids 2-5 and #1 cable preschool series in women 18-49. The “Jake and the Never Land Pirates: Summer Adventures” family events will be hosted by Radio Disney at over 25 Simon Malls across 10 markets beginning SATURDAY, JUNE 23 – SUNDAY, JULY 1.
Kids and families are invited to take part in a pirate adventure and collect gold doubloons, the series’ signature treasure, by completing themed activities. Kids will receive “Jake and the Never Land Pirates” bandanas and treasure maps before setting out on a variety of fun, interactive activities including creating treasure chests, Pirate Pal coloring sheets, a ‘Never Land’ photo opportunity and a ‘Look for Hook’ game, where kids will search for Captain Hook decals throughout the mall.
The Radio Disney Road Crew will provide entertainment inviting kids to sing and dance to popular Radio Disney Junior songs from their favorite Disney Junior series including “Jake and the Never Land Pirates,” “Doc McStuffins” and “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.” Additionally, there will be a special viewing area where families can watch episodes of “Jake and the Never Land Pirates” and “Doc McStuffins.” The Radio Disney Road Crew will give away Disney Junior themed prizes at each event.
“Jake and the Never Land Pirates: Summer Adventures” events details are as follows:
Saturday, June 23
Atlanta, GA Town Center at Cobb 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Boston, MA Solomon Pond Mall 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Chicago, IL Orland Square 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Dallas/Fort Worth, TX Grapevine Mills 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
New York, NY Roosevelt Field 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Philadelphia, PA King of Prussia Mall 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Philadelphia, PA Oxford Valley Mall 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Sunday, June 24
Los Angeles, CA Westminster Mall 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Thursday, June 28
Philadelphia, PA Lehigh Valley Mall 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
New York, NY Smith Haven Mall 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Friday, June 29
Los Angeles, CA Brea Mall 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Miami, FL Dadeland Mall 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, June 30
Atlanta, GA Mall of Georgia 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Charlotte, NC Concord Mills 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Chicago, IL Gurnee Mills 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Denver, CO Town Center at Aurora 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Los Angeles, CA Ontario Mills 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Los Angeles, CA Del Amo Fashion Center 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Miami, FL Miami International Mall10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Miami, FL Coral Square 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
New York, NY Ocean County Mall 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
New York, NY Rockaway Town Square 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Sunday, July 1
Los Angeles, CA Shops at Montebello 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
New York, NY Newport Centre 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
New York, NY Menlo Park Mall 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Some exciting news came out late last night (or early this morning depending on where you are) for fans of Tim Burton and his upcoming stop-motion film, Frankenweenie. According to Walt Disney Studios UK, which posted the video below to its YouTube channel, a new traveling art exhibition featuring puppets, props and more from the film will be touring the globe starting later this month.
The video is hosted by Frankenweenie producer Allison Abbate, who gives an introduction to the ‘Art of Frankenweenie’ traveling exhibition as well as a sneak peek at some of the items that will be on display. The sneak peek is then followed by a list of cities and dates as to where one will be able to find the exhibit with state-side stops presumably including San Diego Comic-Con and the Disneyland Resort.
The schedule as presented in the video is as follows:
- 06/18 – 06/21 Barcelona, Spain
- 07/11 – 07/15 San Diego, California (Comic-Con)
- 07/27 – 08/07 Mexico City, Mexico
- 08/23 – 08//26 Toronto, Canada
- 09/10 – 11/01 Anaheim, California (Disneyland Resort)
- 09/27 – 10/14 Madrid, Spain
- 10/17 – 10/21 London, England
- 10/23 – 11/02 Paris, France
- 12/05 – 12/26 Tokyo, Japan
Disney D23, the official fan club for The Walt Disney Company, has announced that it will be offering its members the opportunity to see Disney/Pixar’s Brave during the week of June 11 for free, ahead of the film’s official opening on June 22.
Metro areas included in the opportunity include: Albany, Albuquerque, Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Denver, Detroit, Fresno, Grand Rapids, Hartford, Honolulu, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Louisville, Memphis, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Nashville, New Orleans, New York, Norfolk, Oklahoma City, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, Raleigh/Durham, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Francisco, San Jose, San Diego, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa/St. Petersburg, Washington, D.C. and West Palm Beach.
Tickets are free and will be available from Disney D23 on a first come, first serve basis tomorrow, June 8 at 1 pm ET/10 am PT. Members will be allowed to secure one additional ticket for a guest. Times and dates of screenings vary between cities and are not yet known. Admission to the actual screening is also first come, first serve and is not guaranteed.
For more information and to obtain tickets when available, see the official event page.
Disneyland Resort today welcomed a new Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop to Disney California Adventure Park. The new location – the first to open inside a theme park – features Ghirardelli’s world-famous hot fudge sundaes and decadent chocolate products, and represents another milestone in the expansion of Disney California Adventure.
“As we celebrate the culmination of our Resort expansion, we are thrilled to welcome Ghirardelli, and to make this unique chocolate experience available to our park guests,” said George A. Kalogridis, president of Disneyland Resort. “Ghirardelli is a perfect fit for our newly reimagined Disney California Adventure, as we both share a rich California heritage.”
The new soda fountain and chocolate shop is located in Pacific Wharf, the San Francisco-inspired area of Disney California Adventure. Guests can visit the location to enjoy treats including sundaes, shakes, and floats, plus a delicious assortment of chocolates and beautifully wrapped gifts. Each guest can enjoy a complimentary sample of the signature Ghirardelli Squares® chocolate.
“We are excited to partner with the Disneyland Resort to open our Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop in Disney California Adventure,” said Martin Thompson, President and CEO of the Ghirardelli Chocolate Company. “Consumers associate our premium brand with high quality, delicious chocolate and now they will have the opportunity to enjoy both our intense, slow melting chocolate and our decadent ice cream treats inside the park. Our rich heritage began in California 160 years ago this year and opening this store in Disney California Adventure is a perfect way to celebrate.”
Photo by Paull Hiffmeyer, courtesy Disneyland Resort
From now through June 21 (or until event reaches capacity), Disneyland Annual Passholders will have the opportunity to register to attend a special preview World of Color ‘Glow With the Show’ event to be held at Disney California Adventure on the nights of June 28, 29 and 30 after park closing.
Each of the annual passholders attending the event will also receive a complimentary pair of ‘Glow with the Show’ ears seen here.
To register for the event, annual passholders aged 18 and over must present their cards along with photo ID at any of the Disneyland Resort ticket booths in the esplanade area. Each passholder is allowed to bring up to three guests of any age, but they must all have valid annual passes (children under 3 are not counted, but will not receive a complimentary pair of ‘Glow with the Show’ ears. In addition, passholders may only attend an event on a night they are not blocked out.
Event Time and Dates
- Thursday, June 28, 2012 at 11:45 p.m for Southern California, Deluxe, Premium and Premier Annual Passholders
- Friday, June 29, 2012 at 11:45 p.m. for Deluxe, Premium and Premier Annual Passholders
- Saturday, June 30, 2012 at 11:45 p.m. for Premium and Premier Annual Passholders
Note that as the private screening will be after regular park hours, all attractions, shops and restaurants will be closed during this event.
Special thanks to @ParkHopper55 for the heads up
Hailed as the most groundbreaking theme park of its time, Epcot marks its 30th anniversary on Oct. 1, 2012, and D23: The Official Disney Fan Club is preparing a unique celebration of one of Disney’s crowning achievements.
On Sunday, Sept. 30, 2012, D23’s Epcot 30th Anniversary Celebration will whisk D23 Members back to a time touted as when “the 21st century begins”—those early Epcot years when guests first marveled at “Astuter Computers,” “Smellitzers,” and the novelty of “riding on sunshine,” and were awed by a massive geodesic sphere called Spaceship Earth.
This journey to yesteryear, the future, and around the world takes place one day only: on Sunday, Sept. 30, 2012, from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. inside Epcot (Park admission is required and not included in the event ticket price). Each D23 Member may bring up to three guests.
“When Epcot opened in 1982 it was a monumental achievement and its opening was an unforgettable moment for Disney fans everywhere,” says Steven Clark, head of D23. “We know our members have a deep passion for this park, and we’re producing a memorable experience that lets our members relive some of their favorite Epcot shows and attractions of the past while experiencing the incredible Epcot legacy that continues today.”
D23’s Epcot 30th Anniversary Celebration will offer the most detailed look at the design, development, and evolution of Epcot ever presented by The Walt Disney Company and will include rare and never-before-seen artwork; film and video footage and photos; along with a number of pioneers of Epcot, including such Disney Imagineers, Legends, and Epcot luminaries as Marty Sklar (exclusive pre-taped presentation), Tony Baxter, Ron Schneider, Charlie Ridgway, Ron Logan, Bill Sullivan, Bob Garner, Jason Surrell, Jason Grandt, Alex Wright, Duncan Dickson, and Steve Taylor.
Tickets will be available for purchase on June 21 at 10 a.m. on D23.com. There are two levels of D23 Member participation:
World Passport general admission is $65 per guest and includes:
- Access to all presentations
- A commemorative gift
- Access to exclusive D23 merchandise
World Key level admission is $185 per guest and includes:
- All features of the World Passport admission
- Reserved seating for all presentations
- A special dessert reception at 8 p.m. inside an exclusive Future World lounge
- Exclusive meet-and-greet opportunity with Disney Legends and Epcot luminaries
- Reception will also include screenings of rare film footage of Epcot’s early days
- Hooray for the 21st Century – Disney Legend and former Walt Disney Imagineering Principal Creative Executive Marty Sklar joins D23 guests via a virtual presentation, where we see and hear what it was like to work with Walt Disney on his original vision for an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. Along the way, learn about Marty’s favorite memories working on the EPCOT Center project with a team of passionate Imagineers.
- The Music of EPCOT Center – Some of Epcot’s most passionate fans agree that the park’s soundtrack has created one of its most lasting legacies that continue to help “makin’ memories” around the world. Join Disney historians and songwriters as we explore the incredible world of Epcot music, celebrating the talents of such Epcot songwriters and composers as Bob Moline, Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman, George Wilkins, Buddy Baker, X. Atencio, Peter Stougaard, Russell Brower, Edo Guidotti and others who have left a permanent musical mark on the park’s creative legacy. Along the way, hear stories about the recording sessions, learn about some fascinating alternate versions of some of your favorite melodies, and sing along to your favorite Epcot tunes!
- “We Can Do It!” – Disney Legends and EPCOT Center creators review the immense challenge that loomed ahead of them when bringing Epcot to reality in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Guests will hear stories of trips to foreign countries to secure participants in the World Showcase concept, what life was like inside the largest private construction project in the world, and how they readied its highly anticipated opening day.
- “We’ve Just Begun to Dream” – Join Disney Legend Ron Logan and other key Disney entertainment veterans as they reminisce about the official EPCOT Center opening festivities that remain among the most elaborate Disney has ever staged. This presentation will include rare footage from the grand openings of various Future World and World Showcase pavilions, which were held throughout October 1982.
- “Makin’ Memories: Epcot on Film” – Join former Disney Imagineer Bob Garner and Disney author and historian Tim O’Day as they cast a “Magic Eye” on the marvelous world of Epcot on film. Bob was closely involved in the creation of film documentation and production at Epcot, including special video elements of Future World and World Showcase pavilions and such promotional films as EPCOT Center: The Opening Celebration.
- “Looking Back at Tomorrow” – Few Epcot visitors, even its most avid fans, realize The Land pavilion was almost called “Harvest Tomorrow” or that Figment was slated to co-host an “Images & Imagination” pavilion with “Professor Marvel.” With recently discovered materials from the Walt Disney Archives, join Disney archivists as they examine how the “dreamers and doers” developed favorite Epcot attractions of the past including Horizons, Journey into Imagination, Kitchen Kabaret, World of Motion, the Astuter Computer Revue, and the original Universe of Energy.
- “The EPCOT Center That Never Was” – Using rare concept artwork, guests will glimpse what it was like to design Epcot with Walt Disney Imagineering Senior Vice President Tony Baxter, designer and producer for several beloved Epcot pavilions, and explore early versions of Epcot attractions that never made it off the drawing board.
- “Imagineering Epcot: An Extra Perceptive Close-up Of Things – Fans of wall-to-wall carpeting and leapfrog fountains unite! Disney Imagineers Jason Surrell, Jason Grandt, and Alex Wright return with a humorous exploration of the details that make Epcot so unique. From miniature gardens to massive buildings (and every international food and beverage offering in between), they’ll show what makes Future World and World Showcase like no place else on earth.
More details about the program and tickets for D23’s EPCOT 30th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION can be found online at www.D23.com.
*Talent is subject to availability. All events are subject to change.
Amid a sea of smiles, the U.S. Postal Service celebrated the issuance of 125 million new stamps today featuring popular Disney/Pixar characters. The Mail a Smile Forever stamps official First-Day-of-Issue dedication ceremony took place at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort.
Available nationwide today, all 125 million stamps can be purchased online at usps.com/shop, by calling 1-800-STAMP-24 (1-800-782-6724) or by visiting Post Offices.
“These delightful stamps lift spirits and touch hearts and remind us that when it comes to connecting with loved ones, technology is no match for the mail,” said Jo Ann Feindt, Postal Service Southern Area vice president, in dedicating the stamps as part of the resort’s grand opening.
Joining Feindt in dedicating the stamp featuring beloved Disney/Pixar characters was Jay Ward, legacy guardian for Pixar Animation Studios.
“We’re thrilled ‘to infinity and beyond’ that these popular characters from Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo and other great Disney/Pixar films are featured on these colorful new stamps,” said Ward. “This stamp issue will make posting a letter lots of fun for everyone in the family.”
Following up on Send a Hello stamps issued in 2011, the eagerly awaited Mail a Smile stamp sheet includes five different designs spotlighting:
- Flik and Dot from A Bug’s Life (1998);
- Bob Parr (Mr. Incredible) and Dashiell “Dash” Parr from The Incredibles (2004), with “Dash” also shown running in the background;
- Nemo and Squirt from Finding Nemo (2003);
- Woody, Bullseye, and Jessie from Toy Story 2 (1999); and
- Boo, Mike Wazowski, and James P. “Sulley” Sullivan from Monsters, Inc. (2001).
The back of the stamp sheet shows blue-pencil sketches of characters from these movies interspersed among text that exhorts readers to mail a smile to a loved one. Postal Service art director William Gicker of Washington, DC, worked with Disney/Pixar to design the stamp art.
How to Order the First-Day-of-Issue Postmark
Customers have 60 days to obtain the first-day-of-issue postmark by mail. They may purchase new stamps at a local Post Office, online at usps.com/shop or by calling 800-STAMP-24. They should affix the stamps to envelopes of their choice, address the envelopes to themselves or others and place them in a larger envelope addressed to:
Mail a Smile Stamp
Main Office — Orlando
10401 Post Office Drive
Orlando, FL 32862-9998
After applying the first-day-of-issue postmark, the Postal Service will return the envelopes by mail. There is no charge for the postmark. All orders must be postmarked by Aug. 1, 2012.
How to Order First-Day Covers
The Postal Service also offers first-day covers for new stamp issues and Postal Service stationery items postmarked with the official first-day-of-issue cancellation. Each item has an individual catalog number and is offered in the quarterly USA Philatelic Catalog, online at usps.com/shop or by calling 800-782-6724. Customers may request a free catalog by calling 800-782-6724 or writing to:
U.S. Postal Service Catalog Request
PO Box 219014
Kansas City, MO 64121-9014
There are nine philatelic products available for this stamp issue:
- 470063, First-Day Cover Set of 5, $4.45.
- 470066, Postcards (20) 4 of each design, $15.95.
- 470067, First-Day-of-Sale Set of 5, $4.45.
- 470068, Digital Color Postmark (DCP) Set of 5, $8.
- 470084, Uncut Press Sheets, $36.
- 470091, Ceremony Program (random single), $6.95.
- 470092, Stamp Deck Card, $0.95.
- 470094, Stamp Deck Card w/DCP (random single), $1.95.
- 470099, Cancellation Keepsake (Random DCP w/Pane), $10.95.
The Postal Service receives no tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.
Video courtesy USPS. Photo by Matt Stroshane/Disney, courtesy Walt Disney World Resort