Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has released a few snippets from the bonus features of the November 30 release of Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 on Disney 4-Disc Blu-ray/DVD combo pack and a 2-Disc DVD. As no names are revealed in the clips, I’ll be half-guessing at identifying some of the personalities featured in them. Corrections would be appreciated if known.
The first two clips appear to be from the segment on the Walt Disney Family Museum located in the Presidio in San Francisco. In the first, Executive Director Richard Benefield talks about the cultural impact Walt Disney had and the expectations the museum would have to meet to honor that. The clip also features an appearance by one of Walt’s grandsons, whom I believe to be Walter Elias Disney Miller.
The next clip also features Richard Benefield along with Diane Disney Miller. This one took me by surprise as it talks about how the Disney family didn’t have a collection of animation art to speak of and that the family had to actively seek out and acquire a collection for the museum.
Finally, here’s what appears to be a clip from the Blu-ray only bonus feature on the Herman Schultheis Notebook, a recently discovered log that gives a lot of insight into the animation of Fantasia. Disney historian JB Kaufman adds how animators simulated a volcanic eruption for their inspiration.
Own Disney’s ‘Fantasia’ and ‘Fantasia 2000′ Bundle on Blu-ray/DVD on November 30, 2010; Now Available for Pre-Order
On November 30, 2010, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release the Disney animated classics Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 as a bundle in both a 4-Disc Blu-ray/DVD combo pack and a 2-Disc DVD edition. Both are now available for pre-order on Amazon.com at the links provided.
DVD Bonus Features Include:
- New Digital Restoration
- Disney Family Museum - Explore the new Disney Family Museum in San Francisco, California with Walt’s daughter Diane Disney-Miller, featuring a very large exhibit on Fantasia and the Schultheis notebook
- Musicana - Walt’s Inspiration For A Sequel To Fantasia
- Audio commentaries
Blu-ray Bonus Features Include (all of the above PLUS):
- Academy-Award nominated short Destino (2004 Best Short Film, Animated) the long-awaited collaboration between Walt Disney and artist Salvador Dali
- Disney & Dali: A Date with Destino
- The Schultheis Notebook – Newly found detailed movie notes provide insight into Fantasia’s animation magic
- DisneyView – Maximize your Fantasia Blu-ray viewing experience with a 16 x 9 aspect ratio through original artwork that complements the film
- Disney’s Virtual Vault - BD-LIVE FEATURE (requires BD-Live-enabled Blu-ray player)
- Interactive Art Gallery