The Studios Animation Gallery at the Walt Disney World® Resort is pleased to present the newest edition in the Disney Theme Park Exclusive Ink & Paint Cel Collection, Fantasmic! Featuring the heroic Mickey Mouse and the “Mistress of Evil,” Maleficent, the sinister villain from Walt Disney’s Animated Classic, Sleeping Beauty.
Fantasmic! is a limited edition, hand-painted cel with an edition size of only 1500 pieces.
The launch event will take place December 12, 2009 at the Animation Gallery at Disney’s Hollywood Studios from 10:00 am – 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm and will feature Disney Design Group artist Costa Alavezos and Ink and Paint Artists James Bonserio, Erin Magill, Theodora M. DeLaney, David Rippberger, Lynn Rippberger and Sharon K.Vincent.
An exclusively designed pin has been created to commemorate the release of the new cel and is available with the first 750 orders placed for a framed cel only.
Pricing is as follows: Unframed Cel – $125; Black Frame and Cel – $215; Black Frame with Pin and Cel: $240; Black Frame with Pin, Postcard and Cel: $265; Gold Frame and Cel: $290.
Those who are unable to attend the event may pre-order the Cel by phoning Walt Disney Event Services at 407-827-7600 no later than December 12 at 3 pm EST.
Fabulous Fantasmic! Facts About the New Maleficent Dragon at Disneyland; ‘Magical’ Fireworks Extended
A spectacular new dragon joins “Fantasmic!,” stretching as high as 45 feet tall and breathing great plumes of fire on the Rivers of America at Disneyland. Performances of the show have been extended nightly through Sept. 7, and will continue weekends – Friday, Saturday, Sunday – as well as during holiday periods through the end of 2009. Nighttime Disneyland guests can also enjoy the “Magical” fireworks show, which has been extended through Labor Day and weekends thereafter through Sept. 20. Both Tinker Bell and Dumbo the Flying Elephant make special appearances in “Magical.”
* The new dragon is a fully animated three-dimensional design that replicates the movements of the dragon in “Sleeping Beauty.”
* Maleficent, a classic Disney villain, transforms into a dragon during “Fantasmic!” – just as she does in the famous Walt Disney Pictures film.
* The “Fantasmic!” dragon is 32 feet wide and weighs approximately 18,000 pounds.
* When she stretches to full height, the dragon stands 45 feet tall.
* When she “lurks” beneath the “Fantasmic!” stage prior to appearing, the dragon contracts to 22 feet tall.
* During the spectacular finale, she rises to stage level in 35 seconds on a custom-built elevator.
* Tri-color LED lighting fixtures put the gleam in the dragon’s eyes.
* In her spectacular appearance, Maleficent breathes a plume of fire 35 feet long, lighting the Rivers of America on fire for 25 seconds during the show.
* During the show, the dragon is controlled and monitored by four computer systems.
* The dynamic and menacing animation of the dragon is achieved via 18 axes of motion which enable a wide rangeof movement in her eyes, ears, mouth, tongue, neck, wings and body.
Here’s a photo gallery of high-res images of the new dragon. All images (c) Paul Hiffmeyer/Disneyland.
Not the first miss of the summer in theme park news, but the Maleficent Dragon from Disneyland’s Fantasmic is finally ready to make her onstage debut at tonight’s performance as per this article in the LA Times.
Below is video footage of the Dragon in action courtesy of the Disneyland Resort:
ANAHEIM, Calif., April 24 – Disneyland Resort will glow like never before this summer as it debuts an all-new fireworks show, Magical, along with sensational new characters and effects that will brighten the Summer Nightastic! lineup of after-dark entertainment.