New footage and the new TRON Legacy trailer at the San Diego Comic-Con panel weren’t the only surprises up Walt Disney Studios’ sleeve. After the panel supposedly ended and many had scattered, moderator Patton Oswalt introduced a couple of new juicy items for those who remained.
Reminiscent of the Studios’ D23 Expo presentation, those who left early failed once again to see Captain Jack Sparrow himself. Not in the flesh this time however, Johnny Depp as Sparrow made a 3D appeal to the audience denying he was involved in gathering up a crew on a quest to find the fountain of youth. Zombies, mermaids and Penelope Cruz were enough to fight off any interest he may have had embarking on the quest and — he adds quite simply — he’d need a bloody map to find it — or at least a bloody mary, if not both.
But the really big news came after Depp’s virtual appearance. Oswalt surveyed the crowd asking if Disney could remake any film (not Newsies), which would the crowd like to see? The answer comes in the form of Haunted Mansion.
But this time, Eddie Murphy will not be wearing the hat of the lead role. That honor goes to the long lost infamous Hatbox Ghost. So says the director of the film, Guillermo del Toro, who announced a partnership with Walt Disney Studios in the way of Truth or Dare films at last year’s D23 Expo.
Del Toro (who did appear in the flesh), explained that the remake will be live action horror and scary — if you take children to it, ‘they will scream.’ It will not be a comedy and it will remain true to the original imagineers’ vision of the classic Disneyland attraction.
Del Toro spoke at length about his love of the attraction and how he visits it at least once a year to relax — ‘that’s how freaky I am,’ he explained. At home, del Toro already owns much Haunted Mansion memorabilia from the likes of Marc Davis, amongst others. And with the new film, he noted, he hopes to be able to bring home a lot of the props.
More information to come.
You may have read this blog entry written by Disneyland Merchandise Marketing & Communications Project Manager Michelle Harker on the official Disney Parks blog earlier today. In the article, Michelle talks about some upcoming theme park merchandise including brand new Mickey ears, specifically of the Mickey Bar and Popcorn variety.
We are pleased to bring you a first look at some of the new ears you can expect to find in the Disney Parks later this year in addition to the Mickey Bar Ice Cream and Popcorn editions: a skull pirate and, our personal favorite, the Haunted Mansion edition.
Remember kids, you saw it ear first.
Got Room for Three More? Mickey, Goofy and Donald Go Hitchhiking in Limited Edition ‘Haunted Mansion’ Cel
Beginning November 17, Disneyland Merchandise Guest Services will begin accept phone orders for this brand new limited edition cel featuring Mickey, Goofy and Donald as Ezra, Phineas and Gus, the famous Hitchhiking Ghosts, with Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion looking in the background.
The edition is limited to just 1,000 pieces with 200 being framed with a pin ($225) and 300 framed with the pin plus a postcard signed by Imagineer WDI’s and Director of Concept Show Design, Kim Irvine, whose mother was Leota Toombs ($250).
Unlike the Mansion’s residents, the cels won’t be around for an eternity, so to get your hands on one, contact Disneyland Merchandise Guest Services at 800-362-4533 beginning November 17. A limited number of pieces will also become available at select retail locations at the Disneyland resort in the coming weeks.
The following is a list of confirmed seminars that will be taking place at Stage 23 during the D23 Expo. More information will be provided as it becomes available:
Early Bird Books Seminars
Kingdom Keepers and Peter and the Starcatchers Book Series with Ridley Pearson (in person) and Dave Barry (via Satellite)
September 11, 9 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
The Alchemy of Animation: Making an Animated Film in the Modern Age with author Don Hahn
September 12, 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
South of the Border with author JB Kaufman
September 13, 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
The Haunted Mansion: Sounds of Spooks and Music of the Macabre
In honor of the 40th Anniversary of Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion, Randy Thornton of Walt Disney Records will present a fascinating retrospective of Disney’s most mysterious music and spooky soundtracks, including a behind-the-scene glimpse of what it takes to turn your favorite music tracks from parks and film into the official albums that “follow you home!”
September 10, 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Jason Surrell Discusses the Haunted Mansion
Jason Surrell, author of The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies, discusses the evolution of our Mansion from beloved attraction to major motion picture.
September 11, 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Disney Fairy Tale Weddings Showcase
Guests will go “behind the fairy tale” at the Disney Fairy Tale Weddings showcase; they will hear from celebrity wedding designer David Tutera and couture wedding gown designer Kirstie Kelly who will unveil the first public viewing sketch of the Princess Tiana-inspired wedding gown releasing this October.
September 12, 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
As a reminder, Stage 23 will be cleared between presentations
It is the classic game of LIFE with a chilling spin. Welcome to the After-LIFE incorporates the stories, mythology, history and the scary fun of the Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disneyland Paris Haunted Mansion attraction (known as Phantom Manor in Paris) to create an otherworldly game play experience.
If you’ve played THE GAME OF LIFE, then you’re in for a real treat (and a few tricks!) It’s all here from the game you know, but re-imagined to take place on the grounds of Master Gracey’s vast, decrepit, and mostly haunted estate. You may encounter the “soul” mortal — the Grounds Keeper and his dog — as you travel through the After-LIFE. There will be trials and tribulations as you, kind spirit, encounter a hitch-hiking ghost or three, all the while trying to accumulate the most screams along the way. If you are the spirit to arrive at the FINAL RESTING PLACE with the most accumulated screams you will be welcomed as the 1,000 ghost at the Haunted Mansion.
On Friday, August 21, you can meet board game artists Quynh Kimball, Garret Webb & Derek Lesinski at Once Upon a Toy in the Downtown Disney Marketplace as they celebrate the launch of the newest member of the Disney-branded classic board games, available only at the theme parks. Times for the event are 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm. Don’t forget your death certificate!
Spook-tacular facts about The Game of Life: Haunted Mansion, Welcome to the After-Life Edition
- The game board centers on extending the stories of the four stretch paintings found within the Haunted Mansion.
- Elements from inside and outside the Mansions tucked with in the game board. Can you find the musical instruments? “Tomb Sweet Tomb”? Transformation paintings? Tombstones? Busts from the library, the pet cemetery, the ghosts and ghouls, the five roses?
- The buildings include the Haunted Mansion from Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disneyland Paris (aka Phantom Manor), a crypt, a carriage house, the Grounds Keepers shack, and a BOO-niversity. The buildings and spinner are glow-in-the-dark.
- The spinner is inspired by Madam Leota’s table, complete with tarot cards on the table, a melted candle on the spinner and a raven who watches your every move.
- The bridges hold a few surprises of their own
- The movers are modified Doombuggies, to hold you and your “passengers” along the path of the After-LIFE.
- Also included are new elements not found at the Mansions but would certainly be found at the Gracey Estate.
- The “Scareer” cards have images of the classic spirits residing in the Haunted Mansion and a few more that have long since been unseen, until now.
- And of course, there are Hidden Mickeys — see how many you can find on the game board and on the cover.
UPDATE: Courtesy of Ghost Relations, here are some additional photos from actual game play. Click on any of the thumbnails to view its original size or click the PicLens link to start the slideshow.
D23 Member Exclusive: The Story and Song from the Haunted Mansion
In 1969, this Disneyland Records Storyteller album was released to commemorate the opening of The Haunted Mansion. Intended as a simple promotional album, this recording has become a cherished childhood memory for many a Disneyland® Resort guest. The Story and Song From The Haunted Mansion includes original scenes and effects that never made it into the final attraction as it follows the story of two teenagers (voiced by Robie Lester and a young Ron Howard) who take refuge inside the eerie mansion during a mysterious rainstorm. First time on CD. A Halloween must have for collectors. Available exclusively to D23 members to own September 10, 2009.
Item #63659P, Price: $10.99. Click here to pre-order.
D23 Members Exclusive: The Sherman Brothers Songbook 2-CD Set
Celebrate the soundtrack to our lives with Walt Disney’s favorite songwriters and the Sherman Brothers Songbook, a newly restored special 2-CD set with 59 tracks, including 6 songs never-before-released on CD, and 26 rare tracks.
Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman were hired by Walt Disney himself as his first and only staff songwriters. Their music has been an important part of motion pictures, theme park attractions, television productions, records, compact discs, and Broadway shows — entertaining millions of people all over the world.
Presented here are 59 songs in over 2 1/2 hours of total playing time highlighting the Sherman Brothers’ incredibly prolific Disney years – from Annette’s 1959 hit Tall Paul to their work from The Tigger Movie in 2000. Newly restored with the latest digital technology, this collection features not only their landmark hits from Mary Poppins, Winnie the Pooh, The Jungle Book, and ”it’s a small world”, but a number of their other classics, many available for the first time on CD.
Their voluminous repertoire is only matched by their musical versatility — composing in styles from rock ‘n roll and English music hall to samba and march. These genres and more are represented as we travel through the Sherman Brothers’ Disney career from the very beginning. The extensive liner notes reveal the stories behind the songs; illustrated with candid photos of the Shermans at work, and with the star-studded gallery of artists who performed their classic songs. Artists such as Annette Funicello, Fred MacMurray, Hayley Mills , Maurice Chevalier, Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, Louis Armstrong and Angela Lansbury. Available exclusively to D23 members to own September 10, 2009.
- Tall Paul - from the album Annette
- Pineapple Princess - from the album Hawaiiannette
- The Flubber Song - The Absent-Minded Professor
- The Parent Trap - The Parent Trap
- For Now For Always - The Parent Trap
- Let’s Get Together - The Parent Trap
- The Wonderful World of Color (Main Title) - The Wonderful World of Color
- The Spectrum Song – An Adventure In Color
- The Green with Envy Blues – An Adventure In Color
- Strummin’ Song (Rehearsal Version) - The Horsemasters
- Although I Dropped $100,000 in the Market – Symposium on Popular Songs
- I’m Blue For You (Boo Boo Boo Boo Boo) – Symposium on Popular Songs
- Castaway – In Search of the Castaways
- Enjoy It! – In Search of the Castaways
- On the Front Porch – Summer Magic
- Femininity – Summer Magic
- The Ugly Bug Ball – Summer Magic
- The Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room – The Enchanted Tiki Room, Disneyland® Park
- it’s a small world – The New York World’s Fair
- There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow - The New York World’s Fair
- A Spoonful of Sugar – Mary Poppins
- Chim Chim Cher-ee – Mary Poppins
- Feed the Birds (Tuppence a Bag) – Mary Poppins
- Supercalifragilisticexpialidiocious – Mary Poppins
- The Monkey’s Uncle – The Monkey’s Uncle
- That Darn Cat – That Darn Cat
- Winnie the Pooh – Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree
- Up, Down and Touch the Ground – Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree
- Little Black Rain Cloud – Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree
- I Wan’na Be Like You (The Monkey Song) – The Jungle Book
- Trust In Me – The Jungle Book
- My Own Home – The Jungle Book
- Fortuosity – The Happiest Millionaire
- Valentine Candy – The Happiest Millionaire
- Are We Dancing – The Happiest Millionaire
- It Won’t Be Long ‘til Christmas – The Happiest Millionaire
- The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers – Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day
- Heffalumps and Woozles – Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day
- The Rain Rain Rain Came Down Down Down – Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day
- Ten Feet Off the Ground – The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band
- The Happiest Girl Alive – The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band
- ’Bout Time – The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang – Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (BONUS TRACK)
- Hushabye Mountain – Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (BONUS TRACK)
- Me Ol’ Bam-Boo – Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (BONUS TRACK)
- The Aristocats – The Aristocats
- Scales and Arpeggios – The Aristocats
- She Never Felt Alone – The Aristocats
- The Age of Not Believing – Bedknobs and Broomsticks
- Portebello Road – Bedknobs and Broomsticks
- The Beautiful Briny – Bedknobs and Broomsticks
- One Little Spark – Journey Into Imagination, EPCOT®
- Makin’ Memories – Journey Into Imagination, EPCOT®
- Magic Journeys – Magic Journeys, EPCOT®
- Meet the World – Meet the World, Tokyo Disney Resort®
- Pooh’s Lullabee – The Tigger Movie
- Whoop-De-Dooper-Bounce – The Tigger Movie
- Your Heart Will Lead You Home – The Tigger Movie
- Walt Disney and The Sherman Brothers Sing – Progressland Promotional Film
Item #63658P, Price: $19.99. Click here to pre-order.
Opening in 1969, the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland® quickly became the most popular attraction in New Orleans Square. Marie Osmond is pleased to replicate the “Haunted Mansion Hostess” costume on “Adora Bitty Belle” who is elegantly attired in the costume designed exclusively for the attraction. This elaborate costume replica consists of a bottle green skirt, lace trimmed blouse & apron, with matching jacket and is topped off with the famous “Bat Hat” which is perched jauntily atop the doll’s curls. This cute little pin trader doll comes with two tradable pins that celebrate the icons of New Orleans Square which includes the Haunted Mansion and the Haunted Mansion entrance plaque. Adora Disneyland® Haunted Mansion Bitty Belle is truly a collectible doll sculpted by Marie Osmond. She has been handcrafted with the special attention to detail that is the hallmark of all Marie Osmond dolls. Adora Disneyland® Haunted Mansion Bitty Belle is hallmarked on the back of her neck with Marie’s signature and is hand-numbered.
Adora Disneyland® Haunted Mansion Bitty Belle Pin Trader Doll will be available for $55, (plus applicable shipping fee and sales tax) via www.ArtofDisneyParks.com, beginning Wednesday, July 1, 2009.
Available while supplies last.
Beginning next week, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Haunted Mansion have been added to the attractions open during morning Extra Magic Hours at the Magic Kingdom. Hang on to your hats and glasses and please, please, please don’t forget your death certificate. After all, you can’t run from trouble, there ain’t no place that far.