Studio Ghibli’s immortal classic, My Neighbor Totoro, from director Hayao Miyazaki will be getting a domestic release on Blu-ray by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment in honor of its 25th anniversary on May 21.
The news comes ahead of any official press release, but the movie has already appeared for pre-order on Amazon.com. From what we are able to ascertain, the bonus features are essentially the same as the Blu-ray edition released late last year internationally:
- Original Japanese Storyboards
- Original Japanese Trailer
- Behind the Microphone
- Behind the Studio
- Creating My Neighbor Totoro
- Creating the Characters
- The Totoro Experience
- Producer’s Perspective: Creating Ghibli
- The Locations of Totoro
- Scoring Miyazaki
Audio will be available as both the dubbed English version as well as the original Japanese version.
Also released on May 21 is Studio Ghibli’s Howl’s Moving Castle, also available for pre-order. We will provide more information as it becomes available to us.
A lot of the focus of the panel appears to have been on Ponyo and the upcoming Toy Story 1 & 2 in 3D double-feature and – of course – Toy Story 3.
Attendees were shown clips from Toy Story 2 in 3D as well as a preview of Prep & Landing, the first television special produced for ABC by Walt Disney Animation Studios, coming later this year.
While it had already been announced that Beauty and the Beast would be re-released in 3D format for Valentine’s Day, 2010, attendees were treated to a scene from the film.
John Musker and Ron Clements, co-directors of The Princess and the Frog were on hand to introduce a scene from their upcoming film. To coincide with this, Disney has also released this special footage showing some pencil-test animation from the film:
The Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) makes its mark at the 2009 Comic-Con convention with a diverse slate of series, including repeat favorites, new buzz shows, a hit animated series, an upcoming new holiday animated special, an author’s roundtable, futuristic action-adventure/sci-fi series and a cast reunion.
Perennial Comic-Con fan favorites, “Lost” executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, will participate in their final convention appearance for the series, and ABC’s highly anticipated new drama series “FlashForward” will present its first-ever panel, featuring executive producers David S. Goyer, Marc Guggenheim and Brannon Braga, as well as cast members Joseph Fiennes, John Cho, Courtney B. Vance, Christine Woods and Peyton List. Patricia Heaton, star of the upcoming ABC comedy series “The Middle,” makes her Comic-Con debut hosting a sneak peek screening of the series for her fans.
Additionally, DATG will showcase distinctive series across its various divisions over the four days of the event: panels with new ABC series “Eastwick” and “V”; returning Comic-Con favorite “Ghost Whisperer,” produced by ABC Studios, will feature a panel with the complete cast, including star Jennifer Love Hewitt, along with Jamie Kennedy, David Conrad, Camryn Manheim and Christoph Sanders, plus executive producers Ian Sander, Kim Moses and P.K. Simonds; ABC Studios’ syndicated action-adventure series “Legend of the Seeker” will unveil a sneak peek at their upcoming second season; ABC Family’s “The Middleman” will bring Comic-Con fans the first cast reunion since the series’ completion, as well as a table read of the lost 13th episode, “The Doomsday Armageddon Apocalypse,” which was never produced but has been turned into a graphic novel.
After last year’s standing room only panel, television’s #1 animated series for kids, Disney’s “Phineas and Ferb,” returns to Comic-Con. This year creators and executive producers Dan Povenmire and Jeff “Swampy” Marsh, as well as cast members Vincent Martella, Olivia Olson and Tyler Mann, will participate in a Q&A session, preview a sneak peek of new episodes and offer the chance to win “Phineas and Ferb” prizes.
The holiday special “Prep & Landing,” ABC’s first-ever collaboration with Walt Disney Animation Studios, will receive a special preview at an animation panel headlined by Academy Award winner and executive producer John Lasseter.
Categories: Movies, Publishing, Television Tags: ABC, And Another Thing, Camryn Manheim, CCI, Comic-Con, Courtney B. Vance, D23, Eastwick, Eoin Colfer, FlashForward, Ghost Whisperer, Hayao Miyazaki, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Jamie Kennedy, Jennifer Love Hewitt, John Cho, John Lasseter, Legend of the Seeker, Lost, Patricia Heaton, Phineas and Ferb, Prep & Landing, Robert Zemeckis, San Diego, The Middle, The Middleman, Tim Burton, Time Jumper, V, Walt Disney Animation Studios, WDAS
At Comic-Con, Hayao Miyazaki and John Lasseter Lead Animation Panel While Walt Disney Studios Holds First Ever 3D Panel
BURBANK, Calif. — Animation greats Hayao Miyazaki and John Lasseter and directors Robert Zemeckis and Tim Burton will take part in their first ever Comic-Con at the San Diego Convention Center July 23-24. The filmmakers will be on hand to help Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures showcase a wide-ranging roster of upcoming films, including 3D juggernauts ALICE IN WONDERLAND, TRON and DISNEY’S A CHRISTMAS CAROL, and animated gems THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, PONYO and the TOY STORY trilogy.
Zemeckis, Burton, Miyazaki and Lasseter will take part in industry panels.
* COMIC-CON’S FIRST EVER 3D PANEL — Veteran directors Robert Zemeckis and Tim Burton join TRON producers Sean Bailey and Steve Lisberger on Thurs., July 23 at 11 a.m. for an unprecedented presentation featuring behind-the-scenes filmmaker insights about the highly anticipated 3D adventures DISNEY’S A CHRISTMAS CAROL, ALICE IN WONDERLAND and TRON. In addition to Q&A opportunities with each of the filmmakers, the 90-minute panel will feature never-before-seen concept art, trailers, actual 3D film footage and other Comic-Con-only footage debuts. In a groundbreaking technical feat, this is the first time ever that 3D footage will be shown at Comic-Con. Patton Oswalt will moderate.
* ANIMATION PANEL — Animation legends Hayao Miyazaki and John Lasseter join veteran animation directors Lee Unkrich, Kirk Wise, Ron Clements and John Musker on Fri., July 24 at 12:45 p.m. for an animation panel which will highlight upcoming animated films, including Disney•Pixar’s TOY STORY/TOY STORY 2 double feature, Disney•Pixar’s TOY STORY 3, Walt Disney Animation Studios’ BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, Walt Disney Animation Studios’ half-hour holiday TV special PREP & LANDING, Walt Disney Animation Studios’ THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG and Miyazaki’s PONYO. John Lasseter will host the panel and Patton Oswalt will moderate a group Q&A following the presentation, which will include filmmaker insights, trailers and select film sequences. Read more…