The Walt Disney World official website has updated its pages for the 2012 International Flower & Garden Festival at Epcot to reflect special opportunities and presentations by HGTV stars for guests to experience. The festival is presented by HGTV and will take place between March 7, 2012 and May 20, 2012.
Themed weekends for the event include:
- Art in the Garden Weekend: See nature through the eyes of “plein air” artists and behold one-of-a-kind works of art. At World Showcase from March 23 through 25, 2012.
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Specialists: Meet the experts and learn about incredible indigenous insects that are part of our world. At the Festival Center from April 13 through 15, 2012.
- Florida Federation of Garden Clubs: See amazing arrangements that defy description. At the Festival Center from April 27 through 29, 2012.
- Fresh from Florida Weekend: Discover the bounty of Florida—from Apalachicola to Zellwood! At the Festival Center from May 4 through 6, 2012.
Special displays include:
- Bambi’s Butterfly House, presented by HGTV: Experience hundreds of native butterflies and see some of your favorite characters from Bambi, presented in topiary. Located at Imagination Walkway.
- Sustainable Beauty, presented by HGTV: This unique garden showcases sustainable gardening ideas that you can try at home.
- Bonsai Collection—located at the Japan Pavilion
- Festival Blooms, Presented by Syngenta—located at Future World East and West Lake
- Kid Garden (official name to be determined), Presented by Florida Nursery, Growers and Landscape Association
- Orchids—located at the Mexico Pavilion
- Spice and Herb Garden—located at the Morocco Pavilion
- Water Wise Herbs & Vegetables, Presented by Rain Bird Corporation
Other activities available to guests throughout the festival include:
- Epcot Gardens of the World Tour: A Disney horticulturist is your host on this 3-hour, guided tour designed especially for garden enthusiasts. Available Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. Register at Guest Relations or call (407) WDW-TOUR. Cost is $60.00, including tax, and theme park admission is required. Available to Guests ages 16 and up only. Please note: Price of the tour is subject to change.
- Let’s Get Moving: Unique play structures offer fun for the little ones—the Evos™ play systems for ages 6 and older and the Weevos™ play systems for ages 2 through 5. Located at Imagination Walkway.
- Pixie Hollow Fairy Garden: Explore the garden world of Pixie Hollow and find some of your favorite fairy characters presented in topiary. Play structures are designed for ages 2 to 5. Located at Test Track Walkway.
- Sounds of Nature, Presented by Nature Conservancy: Relax as you listen to the soothing sounds of nature. Located next to Pixie Hollow Fairy Garden at Test Track Walkway.
And, as always, there will be plenty of educational opportunities to assist guests with their own gardens at home, along with presentations from many of HGTV’s top stars. Presentations and schedules are as follows:
- Ask an Expert: Get your gardening questions answered by master gardeners from the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences at the University of Florida. From 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily at the Festival Center.
- Greenhouse Stage: Gardening experts share tips and secrets that you can use in your own garden. Visit the Festival Center for daily topics. From 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Mondays through Wednesdays at the Festival Center.
- Planting Pointers: Get great gardening ideas from the gardening experts at the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences at the University of Florida. Visit the Festival Center for daily topics. At 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. on select days.
- John Gidding, HGTV’s Curb Appeal: The Block—presenting March 9 – 11
- Sabrina Soto, HGTV’s The High/Low Project—presenting March 16 – 18
- Jason Cameron, DIY Network’s Desperate Landscapes and Man Caves—presenting March 23 – 25
- Camille Styles, HGTV.com Entertainment contributor—presenting March 30 – April 1
- Dan Faires, HGTV.com’s DanMade, Fan Favorite HGTV Design Star Season 5—presenting April 6 – 8
- Brandon Johnson, host of HGTV’s My Yard Goes Disney—presenting April 13 – 15
- Meg Caswell, HGTV’s Meg’s Great Rooms—presenting April 20 – 22
- Monica Pedersen, HGTV Dream Home Tour 2012 and Designed to Sell—presenting April 27 – 29
- Antonio Ballatore, HGTV’s The Antonio Treatment—presenting May 4 – 6
- To be determined—presenting May 11 – 13
- Genevieve Gorder, HGTV’s Dear Genevieve and HGTV Design Star—presenting May 18 – 20
The HGTV presentations will take place at the Festival Center (the former Wonders of Live pavilion) each weekend, Friday through Sunday, at 12:00 and 3:00. Other presentations will be offered at those same times Monday through Thursday.
HGTV has debuted its page for its new show ‘My Yard Goes Disney,’ which begins airing on the network on June 6, 2011. Hosted by television and film star (not to mention host of HGTV’s own ‘Get Out, Way Out!’) Brandon Johnson, the show sets out to bring a taste of Disney Parks to the backyards of Orlando-area families.
We previously shared with you a first look at some of the results of the first episode featuring the Blackburn family, but now HGTV has laid out the initial schedule and provides some details on what each episode will bring viewers, not to mention some very lucky homeowners.
Episode #1 (HMYGD-101H) – A Backyard Train for Two Kids, Two Yards
Premieres June 6 at 8 pm ET/PT with replays on June 7 at 3 am and 5:30 pm and June 12 at 7 pm
When Grandma lives next door and her backyard is also tragic, it’s time to knock down the fence and build a Magic Kingdom train running from yard to yard. This amazing track runs more than 200 feet, looping around the trees and creating an incredible journey from one ‘My Yard Goes Disney’ destination to another. The hand-powered train connects the backyards. Each yard also features play areas to please the kids. There’s a giant over-sized teacup that’s been transformed into a playhouse and is the perfect spot for tea parties and also a gigantic Sorcerer’s hat that doubles as a play area in the other. And all around there are custom-made metal flowers with family pictures of wonderful Disney memories.
Episode #2 (HMYGD-102H) – Backyard Safari Adventure for a Family of Six Disney-loving Kids
Premieres June 13 at 8 pm ET/PT with replays on June 14 at 3 am and 5:30 pm and June 19 at 7 pm
A family with six kids, ages two to six, needs a place to let off steam. And their parents would love to see the Walt Disney World experience come to life in their backyard. That’s why the ‘My Yard Goes Disney’ team creates a safari trip right outside their back door. Modeled after Disney’s Animal Kingdom, the space features a massive custom-made bamboo play set, a play fountain with water-spouting elephants and a Jeep converted into a play area for climbing and other adventures. And for night time fun, there’s a campfire area that the whole family can enjoy.
Episode #3 (HMYGD-103H) – A Mickey-shaped Pool for a Disney-loving Family
Premieres June 20 at 8 pm ET/PT with replays on June 21 at 3 am
The Farrell Family is all Disney all the time on land and at sea. What they want more than anything is to bring the experience of a Disney Dream cruise ship into their backyard. The entire family says the memory of spending a week at sea doing everything Disney was “the most amazing week of our lives.” The family has a small yard, creating a huge challenge to make this family’s dreams come true. The “My Yard Goes Disney” team takes on the challenge with gusto digging a pool shaped like Mickey Mouse, and of course, it has a slide. There’s also a stage for a daughter who loves to perform. And a special zipline for her energetic brother. This backyard transformation also features an amazing Disney-inspired fountain with lots of special family touches.
As we previously announced, HGTV is gearing up to air a new home backyard makeover series inspired by the Walt Disney World Resort and families’ Disney memories, titled ‘My Yard Goes Disney,’ which begins airing on the network on June 6, 2011.
HGTV has posted several photos of the final product for the Bradburn family, some of which are shown below. The central feature to the Blackburn’s yard is a hand-powered, child-sized train that stops and starts from Grandma’s Station, where 200-feet of track actually connects to the childrens’ Grandmother’s yard next door.
Also located around the yard are play areas for the family’s toddler son, under the cover of a Sorcerer’s Hat reproduction complete with Mickey hand, a tea kettle on its side making for a tea party area/nook and a large, white birdcage whose perch doubles as a swing.
For more photos, you can view the entire gallery on HGTV’s site here.
All photos © HGTV with Disney elements © Disney Enterprises.
Late last year, we told you about new television program in development for HGTV in which Disney Imagineers from Walt Disney World would bring a little pixie dust to the backyards of Orlando area homes. The show, then tentatively titled ‘Magical Backyard’ is now known to be titled ‘My Yard Goes Disney’ and will begin airing on HGTV on June 6 at 8 pm ET/PT.
According to a newly released schedule from HGTV, the show has HGTV and Disney Parks joining forces to surprise lucky homeowners with a backyard makeover they never thought possible. Whether it’s a magical Mickey Pool, a topiary shaped like the family dog or a tree house inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean, this half-hour series brings the fun and spirit of Disney Parks home.
The Festival Center at the 18th annual Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival presented by HGTV will be alive with expert-led seminars, demonstrations, discussions and Q&A sessions daily throughout the 75-day event that begins March 2 at Walt Disney World Resort.
Located next to Mission: Space in Future World at Epcot, the Festival Center showcases HGTV and HGTV.com celebrities on weekends and other experts — including “Master Gardeners” from University of Florida, Walt Disney World Horticulturists and a mix of national and regional TV/radio personalities, authors and educators — seven days a week. Here’s what’s happening:
- The HGTV Designers’ Stage in the Festival Center features presentations daily at noon and 3 p.m. on a broad range of garden and design topics — beginning with “Butterflies & Beyond” by entomologist Jaret Daniels on the opening two days of the festival. Each Friday, Saturday and Sunday through May 15, popular experts from HGTV will take over, beginning with Genevieve Gorder (HGTV Design Star and Dear Genevieve) March 4-6 on the topic “The Art of Sculpting Space.”
- Meanwhile, at the Festival Center’s Greenhouse Stage daily at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., Disney Horticulturists, authors and educators will share tips and secrets guests can plant in their own garden. These limited-space sessions include interactive hands-on discoveries during which guests make something to take home.
- Experts from University of Florida’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (UF/IFAS) present Planting Pointers – gardening ideas for everyone — daily at 1 and 4 p.m. Guests also can Ask an Expert – a UF/IFAS “Master Gardener” — their gardening questions from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.
Here are topics and speakers scheduled for HGTV Designers’ Stage and Greenhouse Stage:
Presentations daily at noon and 3 p.m.
(HGTV/HGTV.com celebrity distinctions are noted in parentheses)
March 2-3: “Butterflies & Beyond” — Jaret C. Daniels
March 4-6: “The Art of Sculpting Space” — Genevieve Gorder (HGTV Design Star and Dear Genevieve)
March 7-10: “Passalong Plants” — Felder Rushing
March 11-13: “Design It Yourself: Easy-to-follow Tips for Designing Your Favorite Rooms” — Lisa LaPorta (Designed to Sell)
March 14-17: “Grow Great Grub” — Gayla Trail
March 18-20: “The 5 DIY Secrets That Can Transform Any Space” — Kim Myles (Myles of Style)
March 21-24: “10 Heirloom Plants You Should Be Growing” / “New & Exciting Plants for Every Garden” — Danielle Sherry
March 25-27: “Mobile Gardens” — Brian Patrick Flynn (Design Happens, HGTV.com)
March 28-31: “Secrets of the Garden Revealed & More Plants For Free” — Ken Druse
April 1-3: “Adding Value to Your Home without Breaking the Bank” — Taniya Nayak (Designed to Sell and Destination Design)
April 4-7: “Four Season Garden & Proven Combinations” — Erica Glasener
April 8-10: “Life, Love and Landscaping” — Ahmed Hassan (Yard Crashers)
April 11-14: “Container Gardening: From Dirt to Design & The Secret to Combining Plants” — Steve Aitken
April 15-17: “Gardening with Kids: Fun Seed Starting Projects” — Patti Moreno (Garden Girl, HGTV.com)
April 18-21: “Year-round Garden-tainment” — Melinda Myers
April 22-24: “Creative, Back-to-Basics Style for All Things Natural and Decorative” — Michele Beschen (B. Original)
April 25-28: “Herbal Blends from Around the World” — Susan Belsinger & Tina Marie Wilcox
April 29-May 1: “The Design Process: Curb Appeal Projects from Concept to Construction” — John Gidding (Curb Appeal: The Block)
May 2-5: “The Small-Budget Gardener” — Maureen Gilmer
May 6-8: “Beautiful on a Budget: High Style, Low Cost Secrets to Bringing Indoor Styling Outside” — Frank Fontana (Design on a Dime)
May 9-12: “Slow Gardening” — Felder Rushing
May 13-15: “Top Design Trends Made Affordable and Accessible” — Vern Yip (HGTV Design Star)
Presentations daily at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
(Visit the Festival Center for topics on days not noted)
March 4-6: “Groceries from the Garden” — Robert Bowden
March 10-13: “Gardening for all Generations” — Brenda Sandberg & Scott Hulett
March 17-20: “Gardening in Miniature” — Joseph Rainey
March 24-27: “Helpful Mower & Small Equipment Tips” — Scott Franklin
March 31-April 3: “Tropical Edibles” — Jarrod Stewart
April 7-10: “Fun Holiday Projects” — Doug Benedict
April 15-17: “Gardening Challenges” — Tom MacCubbin
April 21-24: “Seed, Sow & Grow” — Ed Buhler
April 28-May 1: “Inspiring Patio Designs” — Allison Brooks
May 6-8: “Mastery & Mind in Living Flowers” — Ricardo Bansho Carrasco
May 12-15: “A to Z on Herbs” — Tracy Fischer
The presentations are included with Epcot admission, but seating is limited and on a first-come basis. Speakers, presentations and guests are subject to change without notice. For more Epcot International Flower & Garden information, visit disneyworld.com/flower.
HGTV kicks up the “curb appeal” of the 18th Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival March 2 through May 15 with a first-time sponsorship featuring weekend appearances by its acclaimed designers and landscaping experts. The star-studded lineup includes Genevieve Gorder, Lisa LaPorta, Kim Myles, Brian Patrick Flynn, Taniya Nayak, Ahmed Hassan, Patti Moreno, Michele Beschen, John Gidding, Frank Fontana, and Vern Yip.
The country’s leading home and lifestyle television brand brings an addictive blend of design, decorating and landscaping inspiration to the enduring, 75-day gardening extravaganza at Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
At the Festival Center presented by HGTV, popular celebrity experts will appear each Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the festival on the HGTV Stage. The HGTV hosts will deliver valuable tips to Disney guests on topics including “Mobile Gardens,” “Secrets to Bringing Indoor Style Outside” and “Gardening with Kids.”
“We are thrilled to welcome HGTV and so many of the network’s great Talent to Epcot this spring,” said Dan Cockerell, vice president of Epcot. ”HGTV’s design and gardening personalities add an exciting, and entertaining new element to a festival that reinvents itself year after year.”
As part of the sponsorship, HGTV also will present a new, twice-its-previous-size Bambi’s Butterfly House along the Future World Imagination Walkway. Inside this popular festival stop are hundreds of native butterflies and character topiaries from the timeless Disney classic film, “Bambi.” This year’s display celebrates the upcoming release of “Bambi” Diamond Edition, for the first time on Blu-ray Hi-Def.
“People visit Disney for a memorable experience where they are inspired, enlightened and entertained,” said Jim Samples, president, HGTV. “Our star designers will provide just such an experience for the Disney guest during The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival presented by HGTV. Disney is the ideal venue and destination for us to connect face-to-face with our passionate viewers.”
|The HGTV celebrity lineup includes:|
|Genevieve Gorder, HGTV Design Star and Dear Genevieve||Mar 4-6|
|The Art of Sculpting Space|
|Lisa LaPorta, Designed to Sell||Mar 11 – 13|
|Design It Yourself: Easy-to-follow Tips|
|for Designing Your Favorite Rooms|
|Kim Myles, Myles of Style||Mar 18 – 20|
|The 5 DIY Secrets That Can Transform Any Space|
|Brian Patrick Flynn, Design Happens, HGTV.com||Mar 25 – 27|
|Taniya Nayak, Designed to Sell and Destination Design||Apr 1 – 3|
|Adding Value to Your Home Without Breaking the Bank|
|Ahmed Hassan, Yard Crashers||Apr 8 – 10|
|Life, Love and Landscaping|
|Patti Moreno, Garden Girl, HGTV.com||Apr 15 – 17|
|Gardening with Kids: Fun Seed Starting Projects|
|Michele Beschen, B. Original||Apr 22 – 24|
|When Nature Calls: Creative, Back-to-Basics Style|
|for All Things Natural and Decorative|
|John Gidding, Curb Appeal: The Block||Apr 29 – 30,|
|The Design Process: Curb Appeal Projects||May 1|
|from Concept to Construction|
|Frank Fontana, Design on a Dime||May 6 – 8|
|Beautiful on a Budget: High Style, Low-Cost Secrets|
|to Bringing Indoor Styling Outside|
|Vern Yip, HGTV Design Star||May 13 -15|
|Top Design Trends Made Affordable and Accessible|
In addition to its own celebrity stage appearances, HGTV will present the popular twice-daily Disney Gardening at Home series, where guests can join a workshop and take home projects ranging from hanging baskets to water garden features. The Festival Center’s HGTV Theater will present a special-engagement film featuring tips and hints from HGTV shows.
Dozens of Disney character topiaries are back by popular demand at this year’s festival. Woody, Buzz Lightyear and chief villain Lotso of the Oscar-nominated Disney blockbuster, “Toy Story 3,” make their first topiary appearance in front of Spaceship Earth at the park’s front-entrance garden. Topiary craftsmen also will debut floral versions of Lightning McQueen and Mater, stars of “Cars 2,” to be released in theaters this June.
Flower Power concerts will rock the open-air America Gardens Theatre stage three times each Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening with popular acts like Davy Jones and Chubby Checker & The Wildcats. New-to-the-festival performers will include Melissa Manchester, Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr.
JayTV, in association with HGTV, is in pre-production for a brand new series which will feature Orlando-area families who are looking to transform their backyards with potential into the next great Orlando theme park attraction (or reasonable facsimile thereof).
Casting is underway right now, so the producers are inviting interested families in the area to submit an application along with a photo of their family and a wide shot of their existing backyard to be considered as part of the show.
Just how magical the transformation will turn out is anyone’s guess right now, but there has been speculation that both Walt Disney World and Walt Disney Imagineering may be involved in the makeover process. A recent article in the Orlando Business Journal does quote a source confirming that the Walt Disney World Resort is ‘exploring a program concept with HGTV’ but is otherwise non-committal at this time.
For more information on ‘Magical Backyard’ and to apply for a backyard makeover, visit the show’s casting website.
HGTV announces its Holiday Getaway Sweepstakes in which one lucky grand prize winner will receive the following Walt Disney World vacation package:
- One-night stay in the Cinderella Castle Suite in Magic Kingdom® Park
- One room for three nights at a hotel at the Walt Disney World® Resort
- 4 round-trip coach airfares[*]
- Four five-day Magic Your Way Tickets with Park Hopper® Option
- One Disney Gift Card valued at $500
- Up to $500 in recreation experiences at the Resort
- One (1) Disney’s PhotoPass® CD and album
- Themed welcome basket
- Four custom Mickey Mouse Ear Hats, including a winner’s patch to place on each hat
Entries can be made daily. For the full rules and details, visit the contest’s official page.