Nearly a month after we first announced the upcoming arrival of ‘Pixar Shorts Voume 2‘ on Blu-ray (available to own November 13, 2012), Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has officially confirmed the release and date along with a list of all of the shorts included in the second collection of short films from Pixar Animation Studios as well as student films from John Lasseter, Pete Docter and Andrew Stanton.
The included shorts are as follows:
- BURN-E – BURN-E is a dedicated, hard working robot that finds himself locked out of his ship and quickly learns that completing a simple task can often be a difficult endeavor. Based on characters from WALL-E. (Directed by: Angus MacLane)
- Dug’s Special Mission — In this funny short based on the character from Up, Dug is sent on a foolish mission by Alpha, Beta and Gamma so that they can hunt for the Bird of Paradise Falls by themselves. Soon Dug discovers that where he belongs is not where he’s been looking. (Directed by: Ronnie del Carmen)
- George & AJ — Inspired by Carl’s escape, senior citizens around the city unite to make their own ‘escapes,’ much to the chagrin of George and A.J., in this short that features characters from Up. (Directed by: Josh Cooley)
- Air Mater – In this hilarious short, Mater decides he wants to learn how to fly and is accidently recruited by an elite group of formation flyers, the Falcon Hawks. (Directed by: Rob Gibbs)
- Time Travel Mater — When a clock lands on Mater’s engine, he travels back in time to 1910 where he meets Stanley, the founder of Radiator Springs. (Directed by: Rob Gibbs)
- Your Friend The Rat — Ratatouille’s Remy and his brother Emile guide fans through world history from a rat’s perspective. (Directed by: Jim Capobianco)
- Partly Cloudy — This humorous short features baby-delivering storks who receive their special packages high in the stratosphere, from clouds who sculpt babies and bring them to life. (Directed by: Peter Sohn)
- Presto — When Presto, a great turn-of-the-century magician, neglects to feed his rabbit one too many times, the magician finds he isn’t the only one with a few tricks up his sleeve. (Directed by: Doug Sweetland)
- Day & Night — This short follows Day, a sunny fellow, who encounters Night, a stranger of distinctly dark moods. As their suspicions turn to curiosity, they are delighted to find that this budding friendship can offer a new perspective on the world. (Directed by: Teddy Newton)
- Hawaiian Vacation — Fans will love this ‘Toy Story Toon,’ as Woody and Buzz lead a group of toys in giving Ken and Barbie the Hawaiian vacation of their dreams – without ever leaving home. (Directed by: Gary Rydstrom)
- Small Fry — Fans’ favorite team of toys is back in this clever ‘Toy Story Toon.’ Buzz Lightyear is left behind at a fast food restaurant where he finds himself in a support group for discarded toys. As Woody and the gang devise a way to rescue their friend, Buzz tries to escape the toy psychotherapy meeting. (Directed by: Angus MacLane)
- La Luna – The timeless fable of a young boy coming of age in the most peculiar of circumstances, in which he discovers his Papa’s and Grandpa’s unusual line of work. (Directed by: Enrico Casarosa)
All of the shorts are presented in 1:78 aspect ratio except for Presto which is in 2:39 format and La Luna which is in 2.
In addition, student films by Lasseter, Docter and Stanton will include Nitemare, The Lady & The Lamp, Somewhere in the Arctic, A Story, Winter, Palm Springs and Next Door.
Disney California Adventure at the Disneyland Resort has already released an innovative flash app to promote its new Cars Land expansion, allowing online guests to virtually tour the new land (by car, of course), visiting each of the residents of Radiator Springs to see their wares and learn more about the new shopping, dining and attraction experiences. Guests can even create, customize and share their own virtual Cars-inspired avatar for the virtual road trip.
Now the theme park is revving up to plus the experience, offering a new online game titled ‘Cars Land Racers.’ When the site is complete, guests will be able to visit CARSLANDRACERS.COM and compete their custom vehicle in races against friends and even the Radiator Springs residents on tracks inspired by their respective real-world attractions (Lightning McQueen’s Radiator Springs Racers, Tow Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree and Luigi’s Flying Tires).
Winning races awards players prizes such as better acceleration, handling and top speeds, while leaderboards show how players stack up against their Facebook friends and worldwide. Add to that, there’s a total of 20 (at launch time) achievements one can unlock by completing various challenges.
When Cars Land opens its garage doors to the public on June 15, 2012, a whole new land inspired by the Disney/Pixar films will immerse Guests in an environment unique to the Disney California Adventure theme park. Even the most familiar of faces will have something to talk about as the meet & greet characters of Tow Mater and Lightning McQueen, who have been a staple at the parks for years, will now communicate with guests.
They will trade off at their meet and greet spot, located at the Cozy Cone Hotel, where they will parade down Route 66 of Radiator Springs, chattering away for the first time in a Disney theme park. Voice talents Larry the Cable Guy and Keith Ferguson recorded all new dialogue for the vehicles, who will actively respond to guests based on their appearances. For example, in our video below, Mater comments on the flat ‘tires’ being worn by a passerby. As another example, guests sporting sunglasses may be complimented on their ‘tinted windshield.
Be sure to view our extensive photo gallery from Cars Land and Buena Vista Street here.
Cars Land opens at the Disneyland Resort on June 15, 2012 as part of the park’s expansion which includes Buena Vista Street. A media preview for the event is scheduled on June 14.
Video by Kelly Noble for Stitch Kingdom
Ohhh yeah! Whatcha gonna do when the Tormenter runs wild on you?
In this new sneak peek of Monster Truck Mater courtesy of our friends at the Disney Channel and Disney XD, Tow Mater finds himself rocketing to the top of the monster truck wrastlin’ circuit as the Tormenter. Marvel as the Tormenter takes on evil monster truck baddies such as Dr. Feel Bad and Paddy O’ Concrete.
But when the goin’ gets tough, the tough get tagged in and that’s when you call upon on your partner: Frightening McMean.
[Due to licensing agreements with Disney XD, this video has been removed.]
Monster Truck Mater will premiere on The Disney Channel on July 30 at 9:30 pm ET.
Don’t forget to check out our recent report on some of the new Monster Truck Mater die casts and collectible toy sets coming from Mattel too, featuring the Rastacarian and others.
Disney at the Movies: Ant-Man Marches Forward, Mater Goes Away, DW Goes to Town, ‘Secretariat’ Renamed?
The Disney domain elves were hard at work yesterday, registering every possible combination involving the words ‘the movie.’ Many appear to be titles that Disney will distribute for DreamWorks, but others are literally screaming out future (or current) Disney projects.
Alphabetically speaking, ANT-MAN-THEMOVIE.COM comes first. Immediately rumored to have been the first Pixar project since the acquisition, Stan Lee mentioned last month on his twitter that Marvel was moving forward with the project which had been in the works for some time.
Also it appears Tow Mater is having some thoughts about exploring the final frontier. Lunar Mater (LUNARMATER.COM), Moon Mater (MOONMATER.COM) and Right Stuff Mater (RIGHTSTUFFMATER.COM) have all been registered. We also have Mater PI (MATERPI.COM) and Investigator Mater (INVESTIGATORMATER.COM) so it appears some new Cars Toons may be on the way.
Available in Lightning McQueen, Mater, Doc Hudson, Chick Hicks and The King flavors, this $33 gadget from Brando Workshop plugs into your PC’s USB port and actively monitors popular email sites (including any POP3 accessible account) and lets you visually and audibly know when email has come in. Check out the demo below!
From Acme Archives Direct (Booth #: 5429)
From BOOM! Studios (Booth #: 2543)
From Mattel (Booth #: 2845)
What is it: CARS Toons Rescue Squad Light-Up 1:55 Scale Mater with Mia and Tia
Edition Size: TBD
Note: This item will become available for purchase on mattycollector.com beginning August 3
What is it: Glow-in-the-dark 3 3/4″ movie-accurate Buzz Lightyear
Edition Size: TBD
Note: This item will become available for purchase on mattycollector.com beginning August 3. An exclusive chase item will be available only at SDCC
From Sideshow Collectibles (Booth #: 1929)
What is it: Medicom Toy Runaway Brain Mickey Mouse Vinyl Collectible Doll
Edition Size: TBD
Note: Available for pre-order at sideshowcollectibles.com