Chicago’s Magnificent Mile Lights Festival® presented by BMO Harris Bank, the country’s largest evening holiday celebration, will ring in the 2011 holiday season for the nation on Saturday, November 19 with a “bigger, better and brighter” schedule of events. This year marks the 20th anniversary of the beloved holiday tradition.
Radio Disney kicks off its first-ever “N.B.T.” (“Next BIG Thing”) concert tour on Monday, September 5 in Chicago. Sponsored by Invisalign Teen, the eight-city tour will feature the season four “N.B.T” artists and “N.B.T.” alumni. Tour stops in New York City, Boston, St. Louis, Atlanta, Los Angeles and San Francisco, and concludes in Celebration, Florida on Saturday, December 10. Tour venues will be a mix of local festivals, fairs and shopping centers.
On Thursday, September 1, Invisalign Teen will launch the “Straight Up Celebration” Sweepstakes. The grand prize is a trip for four to the Radio Disney Holiday Concert in Celebration, Florida to see “N.B.T.” alumni Coco Jones and Kicking Daisies. Three runner-ups will receive prize packages including an iPad, an iPod touch or iTunes gift cards.
Radio Disney, the No. 1, 24-hour radio network devoted to kids, tweens and families, will kick off its fourth season of “N.B.T.” (Next Big Thing) beginning FRIDAY, OCTOBER 14. “N.B.T.,” a daily multiplatform feature that launched the careers of Kicking Daisies, Coco Jones and Hollywood Records recording artists Allstar Weekend, puts the spotlight on aspiring young recording artists and provides them the chance to showcase their music across national broadcast and online platforms. Over the course of 10 weeks, Radio Disney and Disney Channel audiences will be invited to look, listen and vote for their favorite artist at RadioDisney.com or on the Radio Disney Facebook page, or text* “NBT” to DISNEY (347639). The winner will have their single released by Disney Music Group.
“We Can Change the World,” the inspiring new pop/rock anthem for Disney’s Friends for Change — performed and co-written by 18-year-old actress and Hollywood Records recording artist Bridgit Mendler (“Good Luck Charlie,” “Lemonade Mouth”) — will premiere Friday, June 10 on Radio Disney at 7:00 pm ET/4:00 pm PT and Disney Channel in the 7:00 pm ET/PT hour. Beginning Saturday, June 11, the song will be available on Disney.com/ProjectGreen and the music video will be available at iTunes. Coinciding with its premiere, Disney will donate $250,000 to the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund benefiting global charities. “We Can Change the World” is the third Disney’s Friends for Change anthem. Previous songs have helped raise more than $800,000 for conservation projects around the globe.
Radio Disney Junior, a music block designed for kids age 2-7, will debut Monday, February 14 from 12 pm – 1 pm ET (9 am – 10 am) on Radio Disney, coinciding with the launch of Disney Junior on Disney Channel and Disney.com. The national broadcast and satellite network is the No. 1 radio platform for kids and families. Its new Radio Disney Junior block will feature an expanded roster of music and artists appealing to young kids, plus fun “audio theater” with Disney Junior characters. DJ Hallie is the host of the Radio Disney Junior block, airing weekdays.
Disney Parks has pulled out all the (silver) bells and whistles for the 2010 “Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade” TV special – including performances from five-time GRAMMY® Award-winning artist Mariah Carey, country music chart-topper Darius Rucker, singer/actress Amber Riley, Disney Channel stars Selena Gomez and Debby Ryan, young soprano sensation Jackie Evancho, “American Idol” Lee DeWyze, swing band Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, professional dancers from ABC-TV’s “Dancing with the Stars” and R&B sensation Sean Kingston.
From start to finish, the 2010 “Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade” is packed with festive musical performances from Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Resort in California.
- Global pop superstar Mariah Carey gives fans a tuneful taste of her brand-new holiday album, “Merry Christmas II You,” with a new song, “Oh Santa,” and her perennial holiday smash, “All I Want For Christmas Is You”
- Big band Big Bad Voodoo Daddy gets the season swinging with “Christmas Is Starting Now” from the fun-filled holiday album, “Phineas & Ferb: Holiday Favorites”
- Professional dancers from ABC-TV’s smash-hit series, “Dancing With The Stars,” Tony Dovolani, Kym Johnson, Louis Van Amstel, and Chelsea Hightower, join in with a jovial jive
- Former Hootie & the Blowfish front man and current country music star Darius Rucker shares his new hit holiday single, “Candy Cane Christmas”
- Singer Amber Riley stars in a balcony performance above Main Street, U.S.A, as Disney princesses and princes join in a regal dance below
- R&B superstar Sean Kingston performs the holiday classic, “This Christmas”
- Disney Channel starlet Selena Gomez, from the Disney Channel hit show “Wizards of Waverly Place,” casts a holiday spell with the seasonal favorite, “Winter Wonderland”
- “American Idol” Season 9 Champion Lee DeWyze performs his own rousing rendition of “The Little Drummer Boy”
- Ten-year-old soprano sensation Jackie Evancho sings “Pie Jesu,” one of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s songs that she wowed audiences with this year on the TV show “America’s Got Talent”
- Direct from Disney Channel, “The Suite Life on Deck” star Debby Ryan rocks the parade route with her modern take on “Deck the Halls” from the all-new Disney holiday movie, “The Search for Santa Paws”; she’ll be joined by little Santa Paws himself, the star of the film, which is now available on Disney Blu-ray Combo Pack, DVD and Movie Download
Ryan Seacrest leads the fun as the show’s host at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, and Nick Cannon hosts from Disneyland Resort in California. Maria Menounos serves as a special co-host at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, and Samantha Brown checks in as the show’s travel correspondent.
A major update for the Radio Disney App for iPhone and iPod touch, which has exceeded one million installations, is now live on the App Store. The update, using the multitasking functionality of iOS4, allows listeners to stream Radio Disney while using other features and apps on their device. The updated Radio Disney App also enables users to request songs, learn of local Radio Disney events, and send shout outs to Radio Disney and to the network’s on-air personalities.
Radio Disney AM 1300 kicks off the holiday season in Chicago with a day of fun for kids and families on Saturday, November 20, at the 19th annual Magnificent Mile Lights Festival presented by Harris. The day of special events will bring fans face to face with some of their favorite stars, including Allstar Weekend and the “Phineas and Ferb” walk-around characters.
Disney Channels Worldwide has promoted two key executives into new roles — Sean Cocchia has been named Senior Vice President and General Manager, Radio Disney, and David Cobb has been named Vice President, Business Planning and Strategy, Disney Channels Worldwide. The announcement was made today by Carolina Lightcap, President, Disney Channels Worldwide, to whom they each will report. David Cobb will also have a reporting line into Jewell Engstrom, Chief Financial Officer, Disney ABC Networks Group.
At Radio Disney, Cocchia succeeds Michael Riley, who was recently named President, ABC Family. Cobb succeeds Cocchia in the Business Planning and Strategy role.
Disney Channel will present the world premiere of Selena Gomez & The Scene’s music video, “A Year Without Rain,” from their upcoming album of the same title, on FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 3 (10:15 p.m., ET/PT), following the premiere of “Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam” and a preview of the new animated comedy series “Fish Hooks.” The single will also debut on Radio Disney and will be available as a digital single and digital video that same day.