Richard and Robert Sherman are virtually synonymous with Disney. The prolific brother songwriting team was heavily favored by Walt Disney. So much so that he placed them under a studio contract which is unheard of when it comes to songwriters. You hear throughout classic Disney films and throughout Disney theme parks around the world. What you may not have heard is their own story, a pair of brothers whose personal relationship was strained for most of their lives to the point where they became completely estranged from each other.
I had the pleasure of seeing The Boys, a documentary put together by the Sherman Brothers’ children — cousins who didn’t even meet until they were adults — when it was playing in limited release and I can’t possibly encourage any fan of Disney enough to see this film when it’s released on November 30 along with two other amazing documentaries, Waking Sleeping Beauty and Walt & El Grupo.
In honor of the film’s release, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has begun sharing some clips from the film as well as a sneak peek at some of the extras that will be available on the DVD.
In this clip from the film, titled ‘First Collaboration,’ Bob and Dick talk about how they ended up living together as young adults and were egged into working together on their first song by their father.
In this sneak peek at one of the bonus features, Julie Andrews (Mary Poppins) and Dick Van Dyke (Bert) explore the story behind the Mary Poppins classic ‘Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.’
For more looks at The Boys: The Sherman Brothers’ Story, check out Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment’s official YouTube channel.
They’ve written some of the most memorable songs in Disney theme park – and motion picture – history, and on March 11, 2010, the Academy Award-winning composers of the music from “It’s a Small World” and The Enchanted Tiki Room, as well as “Mary Poppins,” will receive the highest honor that the Disneyland Resort bestows. The Sherman brothers, Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman, will receive a tribute window on Main Street, U.S.A.
Among the Shermans’ more than 150 Disney songs are such familiar Disney theme park compositions as “The Tiki Tiki Tiki Room” (theme of The Enchanted Tiki Room), “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” (theme of Carousel of Progress) and “It’s a Small World,” one of the most translated and performed songs on Earth. All three are still performed in their attractions at Disney theme parks around the world, making the music as contemporary today as when it was composed.
“Richard and Robert Sherman’s contribution to Disney spans 50 years and has touched virtually every aspect of our company,” said Robert A. Iger, president and Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company. “By dedicating a window on Main Street, U.S.A. inside Disneyland we are pleased to recognize them with one of the highest honors our company bestows.”
“The music of the Sherman brothers has left an indelible mark on the Walt Disney Company and still resonates in Disney parks around the world,” said Tom Staggs, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts chairman. “Their songs – particularly ‘It’s a Small World’ and the score of ‘Mary Poppins’ – are not just touchstones of Disney, but of American culture as a whole. The whole world sang these songs when they were new and they still sing them today almost five decades later. Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman are honored members of the Disney family.”
Walt Disney Records Proudly Presents ‘The Sherman Brothers Songbook Music Retrospective’ – Now Available
BURBANK, Calif. — On October 13, 2009 Walt Disney Records releases a two-disc retrospective collection of music by award-winning songwriting team, Robert Sherman and Richard Sherman. Hired by Walt Disney himself as his first and only staff songwriters, the Sherman Brothers music has been an important part of motion pictures, theme park attractions, television productions, records, compact discs, and Broadway shows – entertaining millions of people all over the world.
The two-disc set includes 59 songs highlighting the Sherman Brothers’ incredibly prolific Disney years – from Annette’s 1959 hit “Tall Paul” to their work from The Tigger Movie in 2000. Newly restored with the latest digital technology, this collection features not only their landmark hits from Mary Poppins, Winnie the Pooh, The Jungle Book, and “it’s a small world,” but a number of their other classics – many available for the first time on CD.
D23 Member Exclusive: The Story and Song from the Haunted Mansion
In 1969, this Disneyland Records Storyteller album was released to commemorate the opening of The Haunted Mansion. Intended as a simple promotional album, this recording has become a cherished childhood memory for many a Disneyland® Resort guest. The Story and Song From The Haunted Mansion includes original scenes and effects that never made it into the final attraction as it follows the story of two teenagers (voiced by Robie Lester and a young Ron Howard) who take refuge inside the eerie mansion during a mysterious rainstorm. First time on CD. A Halloween must have for collectors. Available exclusively to D23 members to own September 10, 2009.
Item #63659P, Price: $10.99. Click here to pre-order.
D23 Members Exclusive: The Sherman Brothers Songbook 2-CD Set
Celebrate the soundtrack to our lives with Walt Disney’s favorite songwriters and the Sherman Brothers Songbook, a newly restored special 2-CD set with 59 tracks, including 6 songs never-before-released on CD, and 26 rare tracks.
Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman were hired by Walt Disney himself as his first and only staff songwriters. Their music has been an important part of motion pictures, theme park attractions, television productions, records, compact discs, and Broadway shows — entertaining millions of people all over the world.
Presented here are 59 songs in over 2 1/2 hours of total playing time highlighting the Sherman Brothers’ incredibly prolific Disney years – from Annette’s 1959 hit Tall Paul to their work from The Tigger Movie in 2000. Newly restored with the latest digital technology, this collection features not only their landmark hits from Mary Poppins, Winnie the Pooh, The Jungle Book, and ”it’s a small world”, but a number of their other classics, many available for the first time on CD.
Their voluminous repertoire is only matched by their musical versatility — composing in styles from rock ‘n roll and English music hall to samba and march. These genres and more are represented as we travel through the Sherman Brothers’ Disney career from the very beginning. The extensive liner notes reveal the stories behind the songs; illustrated with candid photos of the Shermans at work, and with the star-studded gallery of artists who performed their classic songs. Artists such as Annette Funicello, Fred MacMurray, Hayley Mills , Maurice Chevalier, Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, Louis Armstrong and Angela Lansbury. Available exclusively to D23 members to own September 10, 2009.
- Tall Paul - from the album Annette
- Pineapple Princess - from the album Hawaiiannette
- The Flubber Song - The Absent-Minded Professor
- The Parent Trap - The Parent Trap
- For Now For Always - The Parent Trap
- Let’s Get Together - The Parent Trap
- The Wonderful World of Color (Main Title) - The Wonderful World of Color
- The Spectrum Song – An Adventure In Color
- The Green with Envy Blues – An Adventure In Color
- Strummin’ Song (Rehearsal Version) - The Horsemasters
- Although I Dropped $100,000 in the Market – Symposium on Popular Songs
- I’m Blue For You (Boo Boo Boo Boo Boo) – Symposium on Popular Songs
- Castaway – In Search of the Castaways
- Enjoy It! – In Search of the Castaways
- On the Front Porch – Summer Magic
- Femininity – Summer Magic
- The Ugly Bug Ball – Summer Magic
- The Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room – The Enchanted Tiki Room, Disneyland® Park
- it’s a small world – The New York World’s Fair
- There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow - The New York World’s Fair
- A Spoonful of Sugar – Mary Poppins
- Chim Chim Cher-ee – Mary Poppins
- Feed the Birds (Tuppence a Bag) – Mary Poppins
- Supercalifragilisticexpialidiocious – Mary Poppins
- The Monkey’s Uncle – The Monkey’s Uncle
- That Darn Cat – That Darn Cat
- Winnie the Pooh – Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree
- Up, Down and Touch the Ground – Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree
- Little Black Rain Cloud – Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree
- I Wan’na Be Like You (The Monkey Song) – The Jungle Book
- Trust In Me – The Jungle Book
- My Own Home – The Jungle Book
- Fortuosity – The Happiest Millionaire
- Valentine Candy – The Happiest Millionaire
- Are We Dancing – The Happiest Millionaire
- It Won’t Be Long ‘til Christmas – The Happiest Millionaire
- The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers – Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day
- Heffalumps and Woozles – Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day
- The Rain Rain Rain Came Down Down Down – Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day
- Ten Feet Off the Ground – The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band
- The Happiest Girl Alive – The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band
- ’Bout Time – The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang – Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (BONUS TRACK)
- Hushabye Mountain – Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (BONUS TRACK)
- Me Ol’ Bam-Boo – Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (BONUS TRACK)
- The Aristocats – The Aristocats
- Scales and Arpeggios – The Aristocats
- She Never Felt Alone – The Aristocats
- The Age of Not Believing – Bedknobs and Broomsticks
- Portebello Road – Bedknobs and Broomsticks
- The Beautiful Briny – Bedknobs and Broomsticks
- One Little Spark – Journey Into Imagination, EPCOT®
- Makin’ Memories – Journey Into Imagination, EPCOT®
- Magic Journeys – Magic Journeys, EPCOT®
- Meet the World – Meet the World, Tokyo Disney Resort®
- Pooh’s Lullabee – The Tigger Movie
- Whoop-De-Dooper-Bounce – The Tigger Movie
- Your Heart Will Lead You Home – The Tigger Movie
- Walt Disney and The Sherman Brothers Sing – Progressland Promotional Film
Item #63658P, Price: $19.99. Click here to pre-order.
Currently in limited release, Stitch Kingdom brings you a review of this fascinating documentary of a family who couldn’t be together unless they were working together. You can read our review here.
D23 members are being offered discounts to certain screenings and events at the 2009 Newport Beach Film Festival.
On Friday, April 24 at 7pm, enjoy An Evening of Film and Fun Set to Music: A Gala Reception & Concert with Marc Shaiman. Join multiple Academy Award® nominee, Tony Award® and Grammy Award®-winning film composer and songwriter Marc Shaiman for a tune-filled evening of performance and memorable behind-the-camera stories of his many film projects including such modern day movie classics as Hairspray, The Wedding Planner, My Giant, Sleepless in Seattle, Sister Act, City Slickers, When Harry Met Sally and Beaches. Shaiman received the Tony, Grammy and Olivier Awards for his work on the Broadway hit Hairspray. May not be suitable for younger audiences. D23 Member Price: $20 (Regular: $30).